Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey,

im going to try and apply for a different course to the one i origonally applied for in extra, what do i have to do with my personal statement for the extra course as my personal statement will not match the course i want to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma122)
    hey,

im going to try and apply for a different course to the one i origonally applied for in extra, what do i have to do with my personal statement for the extra course as my personal statement will not match the course i want to apply for.
    Hi, had the same problem as you recently.

I changed from geogrpahy to business at Uni of Liverpool.

I didnt have to go through extra/clearing or change my PS statement.

What I did was phone up Admissions, and they said you need to Email this person, and they changed my course straight away on UCAS track.

You should try this approach with the Uni you are applying to

hope this is helpful

ReputationRep:
    I may also apply through Extra. My course will be different but I won't change my personal statement unless the uni ask me to send one to them.

Does anyone know how the selection process works on Extra? Say I ring up a uni, will they give me an offer/rejection there and then or take some time to consider it?

Also do you have to ring the uni? Or do you just apply through UCAS?

Very confused about Extra so would appreciate some help!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    hey,

Is this at a different university? If it's the same university, you can always do what apple1992 advises above. If it's for a different uni, you can ask them if they will accept a different personal statement since you're applying for a different course. Before all that though, I would definitely contact the university to make sure they do still have places left for Extra applicants.

(Original post by HJSpence)
    I may also apply through Extra. My course will be different but I won't change my personal statement unless the uni ask me to send one to them.

Does anyone know how the selection process works on Extra? Say I ring up a uni, will they give me an offer/rejection there and then or take some time to consider it?

Also do you have to ring the uni? Or do you just apply through UCAS?

Very confused about Extra so would appreciate some help!
    Extra takes place through UCAS. You should probably ring the university first to double check that they are accepting Extra applicants and do still have places. From there, you should have an option to apply through Extra if you're eligible. More info here.

ReputationRep:
    You can do course search on UCAS,

The courses which have an "x" next to them mean there are places left.

ReputationRep:
    well i might apply to the same uni im not sure yet, but i was unsuccesfuul for all of them. i would have thought that i could not just give them a personal statement designed for radiography if that is not the course im applying for through extra. i cant seem to find any info about this on the ucas site.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    well i might apply to the same uni im not sure yet, but i was unsuccesfuul for all of them. i would have thought that i could not just give them a personal statement designed for radiography if that is not the course im applying for through extra. i cant seem to find any info about this on the ucas site.
    When you apply to your extra university, they will get whatever personal statement you have attached to your UCAS form right now, so something irrelevant to the subject you're studying. They may ask, or you may offer them a personal statement based on the new subject you're applying for though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    When you apply to your extra university, they will get whatever personal statement you have attached to your UCAS form right now, so something irrelevant to the subject you're studying. They may ask, or you may offer them a personal statement based on the new subject you're applying for though.

ok, so i can change my personal statement on my ucas at the moment, do you think i should change it before i apply to the extra course or wait until they ask if they do.?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    ok, so i can change my personal statement on my ucas at the moment, do you think i should change it before i apply to the extra course or wait until they ask if they do.?
    Okay, I wasn't clear enough, sorry! You can't change your personal statement on your UCAS, which is why I said the universities will receive the irrelevant PS you have now. What I meant when I said you can offer them a new personal statement is basically phoning them up and asking if they'd like a new PS which you can send via email. Or they may ask for you to email them a new PS without you offering. Make more sense?

ReputationRep:
    What I did was

Ring up the university about the course and ask if they have any space left on the course that you DO want to do.

They will likely ask you to send it through UCAS via extra.

You will asked to send a revised personal statement to an email which is likely to be an admissions tutor.

They will read through it as a normal application but read the revised PS and then give you the offer/rejection.

This was posted from my pigeon carrier app on my GT-I9100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Okay, I wasn't clear enough, sorry! You can't change your personal statement on your UCAS, which is why I said the universities will receive the irrelevant PS you have now. What I meant when I said you can offer them a new personal statement is basically phoning them up and asking if they'd like a new PS which you can send via email. Or they may ask for you to email them a new PS without you offering. Make more sense?
    oh ok, thanks, that does make more sense, i think i might just leave it so they can ask for a new personal statement if they want one but i will write one anyway just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    What I did was

Ring up the university about the course and ask if they have any space left on the course that you DO want to do.

They will likely ask you to send it through UCAS via extra.

You will asked to send a revised personal statement to an email which is likely to be an admissions tutor.

They will read through it as a normal application but read the revised PS and then give you the offer/rejection.

ok thanks, may i ask if you got into your chosen course in extra, are the chances good do you think

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, may i ask if you got into your chosen course in extra, are the chances good do you think
    It depends how full the course is.
    What other applicants have applied.

I applied for nursing through extra.
    With grades predicted below what they wanted and in very unrealted subjects I still got an interview with the uni.

For the course that I was on I applied and got accepted through extra

ReputationRep:
    It depends how full the course is.
    What other applicants have applied.

I applied for nursing through extra.
    With grades predicted below what they wanted and in very unrealted subjects I still got an interview with the uni.

For the course that I was on I applied and got accepted through extra

ok thats good, its quite disconcerting to find you are unsuccessful for 5 uni, so extra is definatly a help, im hoping to maybe still try to apply for radiography which is what i applied for initially or audiology.

ReputationRep:
    ok thats good, its quite disconcerting to find you are unsuccessful for 5 uni, so extra is definatly a help, im hoping to maybe still try to apply for radiography which is what i applied for initially or audiology.
    I know.
    You can only apply for one course at a time through extra though.
    So all in all I got 6 rejections

ReputationRep:
    I know.
    You can only apply for one course at a time through extra though.
    So all in all I got 6 rejections

its quite harsh, i dont like the whole process really, its not nice not knowing whats going to happen. i just hope i get in through extra or clearing otherwise im lost.

ReputationRep:
    its quite harsh, i dont like the whole process really, its not nice not knowing whats going to happen. i just hope i get in through extra or clearing otherwise im lost.
    I know.
    You should be able to get in.
    Its not all over if you dont

ReputationRep:
    I know.
    You should be able to get in.
    Its not all over if you dont

i know its not the end of the world, to be honest i just want to stay in education, im probably one of the few but i would prefer to stay in education for as long as possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.