Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What do you prefer using at supermarkets etc: self-checkouts or tills? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
    Self-service checkouts
    75.54%
    Tills
    24.46%

ReputationRep:
    When those self service checkouts first arrived in stores they used to annoy me, especially when I got "Unexpected item in bagging area" grrrrr. Now I find I dont get that at all, they are a pleasure to use.I voted for them in the poll.

ReputationRep:
    The one with a smaller queue.

ReputationRep:
    I use self-service checkouts all the time in Tesco shops (I rarely shop in rival shops like Sainsbury's as Tesco shops are so widespread and I have a Tesco Clubcard) and have very rarely had problems using them, plus I don't often have to wait as long to use them as I would have to wait at a till. Hence, self-service checkouts get my vote.

ReputationRep:
    Self checkout pureply because I'm too socially awkward to answer the question "do you need help packing your bags?" without stumbling over myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    What's worse for me is I ALWAYS get my change in coppers, even if it's like 90p change...

They're planning "Hey you see that guy there, I'm going to chuck my change at him and see how much of it he can catch"
    Yes! I purposely give lots of change so i can get a rounded number back and then give it to me in 2p's!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can never choose.

Avoid human interaction or suffer the smug ***** barking Unexpected Item in Baggage Area...

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when it won't let me buy a 12 rated dvd in case I'm secretly a 6 year old :lol: I prefer Self service because I am actually grumpy cat in human form and I hate people :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Depends on the shop. Sainsbury's self-service tills are okay to use, but Tesco's ones are absolutely terrible, at least the ones I've been to are. WH Smith's are a complete joke. Self-service is fine if the machines are good and are well-maintained, but in a lot of places that isn't the case. Probably not helped by the fact that a lot of supermarket staff hate self-service, since it's effectively taking away their jobs.
    Agreed, it depends on the store. It isn't just the self-service tills that are the issue - some shops have very annoying checkout staff routines, for example, always offering to pack (something I am hardly likely to need as a non-disabled, non-elderly person), they are sometimes very slow, they don't push through the large heavy items first even though I actually went to the trouble of putting them first on the belt (sigh), they ask me how I'm doing today in a fake voice, they offer me credit cards, etc, etc, etc. Delay, delay, delay.

I know (because I have worked the last two summers in a chain supermarket) that all this stuff is just laid down by management and you have to robotically keep saying it, but it drives both customers and staff nuts.

ReputationRep:
    Self service. I can buy two tubs of ben and jerrys and a bag of doritos without being judged. it's also just easier when you're feeling and looking rough and cant be bothered to talk to anybody, when you want to be in and out of there quick!

ReputationRep:
    Tills Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire wBike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    No actually self checkouts can be good. Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire wBike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - what no. items we talking here. Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire wBike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Generally prefer the tills, but they are almost always busier than self-checkouts, so I end up going to those almost all the time.

The tills are better as I can't be bothered with the self-checkouts sometimes

ReputationRep:
    I prefer self checkouts. My mum is absolutely awful at using them though, the first time she tried to use one she scanned the packet over the sticker saying "scan this way" instead of on the actual machine.

ReputationRep:
    10 items. We talking 10 items. Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire wBike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk Bike Hire Triathlon Bike Hire TT Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Self services are more convenient (and you don't get the checkout girl who feels the need to comment on every item you buy!) but I don't get on with them, they never work for me :lol: It ends up with the machine shouting about the bagging area and me just glaring at it waiting for a shop assistant to come help me

ReputationRep:
    I always use self check out but my dad is so set against them, he's waited at a till for 30 minutes to avoid using it. He says that when he buys something he's paying someone's wages and he doesn't pay for them to just sit there *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The normal steps when I use a self service checkout:

1. Scan item
    2. Place item in bagging area
    3. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    4. Remove item
    5. "Please place item in bagging area"
    6. Place item in bagging area
    7. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    8. Remove item
    9. "Please place item in bagging area"
    10. Place item in bagging area
    11. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    12. Remove item
    13. "Please place item in bagging area"
    14. Place item in bagging area
    15. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    16. Remove item
    17. "Please place item in bagging area"
    18. Go find a proper till

ReputationRep:
    self checkouts

I hate people

ReputationRep:
    if you calm down a bit and don't lean on/put anything else near the bagging area, I find that it doesn't scream that at you

but it totally depends on what I've got and how much.. I would rather go to a till with a £20 or my card but that's just me maybe

and the amount of money I've found that people have left in the change bit at self service...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.