Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What do you prefer using at supermarkets etc: self-checkouts or tills? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
    Self-service checkouts
    75.54%
    Tills
    24.46%

ReputationRep:
    I like having a bit of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    I use the self scan. I love that little feeling you get when you and a middle aged person both start using the self service till at the same time and you've scanned, packed and paid your your basket of shopping and the middle aged person is getting frustrated that they've just scanned the second item and they are being told to remove it from the bagging area. aha.

(Original post by James82)
    The normal steps when I use a self service checkout:

1. Scan item
    2. Place item in bagging area
    3. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    4. Remove item
    5. "Please place item in bagging area"
    6. Place item in bagging area
    7. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    8. Remove item
    9. "Please place item in bagging area"
    10. Place item in bagging area
    11. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    12. Remove item
    13. "Please place item in bagging area"
    14. Place item in bagging area
    15. "Unexpected item in the bagging area"
    16. Remove item
    17. "Please place item in bagging area"
    18. Go find a proper till
    You simply put the product in the bag on the bagging area. It's not rocket science. You must be putting pressure on the area or something when doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Self service. If I have loads of coppers and wanna buy sweets, if I was to use coppers with an actual checkout, I've actually been refused to be served before. Also I don't get asked questions like would you like a phone top up or stamps. I find it generally quicker unless the machine decides to do the whole unexpected item in the bagging area thing
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Self-service. Machine interaction is so much easier than human interaction

ReputationRep:
    Till, it's quicker. People take their time in the self service checkouts and I've noticed that the queue for tills go much faster in crowded tescos.

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit it's usually the self checkouts, faster and sometimes you just don't want to talk to the person on the till if they look grumpy

ReputationRep:
    Self checkouts when they're available. I don't think I've used the till at my local sainsburys in 2-3 years. It's really annoying when they mess up and you're forced to interact with your fellow humans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    Self checkouts when they're available. I don't think I've used the till at my local sainsburys in 2-3 years. It's really annoying when they mess up and you're forced to interact with your fellow humans
    One of the guys who worked at my local Sainsys used to continually hang around the self checkouts whenever he saw me there and flirt with me whenever there was a problem (which was often), oh God... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Self-service, quicker and lets me use up all of my coppers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    Self-service, quicker and lets me use up all of my coppers
    That's defo another reason. Having said that I regularly get the security guard giving me the evil look because I take about 5 minutes putting 20 coins in to pay for a pack of cookies or something lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    That's defo another reason. Having said that I regularly get the security guard giving me the evil look because I take about 5 minutes putting 20 coins in to pay for a pack of cookies or something lol.
    I just look them in the eye and continue, daring them to stop me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    I just look them in the eye and continue, daring them to stop me
    Yeah strictly speaking it's perfectly legal, always funny to see their reaction though

ReputationRep:
    Tills can be useful when I want specific amounts of change :P

ReputationRep:
    I prefer normal checkouts tbh

Problem is that staff ID me for alcohol (i'm 25) when I go to checkouts so it is much easier going to self service where the same staff are usually working day in day out. Saves the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Self-service checkouts

ReputationRep:
    Self-checkout if I'm buying something embarrassing and there are only male checkout people on the tills.

I generally prefer tills. Self-checkout is too troublesome.

ReputationRep:
    Self-checkout.
    Simply so I can use the right amount of plastic bags without having to keep asking for them when the lady at the till doesn't give me enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Self service. If I have loads of coppers and wanna buy sweets, if I was to use coppers with an actual checkout, I've actually been refused to be served before. Also I don't get asked questions like would you like a phone top up or stamps. I find it generally quicker unless the machine decides to do the whole unexpected item in the bagging area thing
    Yes! I always stick my 1p's and 2p's in the machine first, then I go to 5p's, then 10p's etc. until i've paid enough (Then it usually gives me 1p's and 2p's back, because when you've put all your little coins in and you need to pay 7 more pence, you have to put a 10p in cause you've used your 1p's )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Tills can be useful when I want specific amounts of change :P
    Is it just me, or do self-service machines invariably give out the oldest and muckiest fivers currently known to be in circulation?

Has anyone tried Waitrose self-service tills? They aren't in all branches. They are quite confusing to the uninitiated - hilariously, it can be quite hard for new users to figure out where to put their stuff once scanned and you see people standing in front of them, staring wildly in all directions, looking for the correct slot.

ReputationRep:
    Self checkout because its faster , however tills as they pack for you sometimes good to have a chat, ay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.