Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What do you prefer using at supermarkets etc: self-checkouts or tills? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
    Self-service checkouts
    75.54%
    Tills
    24.46%

ReputationRep:
    Depends what I'm buying

ReputationRep:
    I would say self checkouts, I don't do people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    One of the guys who worked at my local Sainsys used to continually hang around the self checkouts whenever he saw me there and flirt with me whenever there was a problem (which was often), oh God... :facepalm:
    Haha aw that's unlucky, must have been proper embarassing. I try my best not to look like a knob whenever I get the classic "unknown item in bagging area". The dodgy guys are usually unhelpful imo, the older ladies are my heroines whenever something annoying happens

ReputationRep:
    "Remove your item from the bagging area!"

The most annoying statement in modern English.

ReputationRep:
    I have no preference, just whichever is the shortest queue and the quickest time to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Self-service. Quicker and easier.
    I agree.
    I almost always use the self service tills.
    The only time i go to a cashier is if im going into tesco to put credit on my phone (im with tesco mobile), as i dont know how to put credit on my phone using the self service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    Haha aw that's unlucky, must have been proper embarassing. I try my best not to look like a knob whenever I get the classic "unknown item in bagging area". The dodgy guys are usually unhelpful imo, the older ladies are my heroines whenever something annoying happens
    In fairness he was cute, I just had a tendency to stuff my basket full of Sainsburys value crisps/chocolate and whatnot for me and my flatmates so I didn't usually want someone coming over and looking at it! And yeah the older ladies are angels, literally swipe their employee cards and solve all the "This item will not scan even though it has a perfectly legible barcode" problems in about 5 seconds usually lol

ReputationRep:
    In Tesco and Sainsbury's I use the self-checkouts because the cashiers never seem to add on the extra Clubcard/Nectar points for using my own bags then even when I ask they just add the one, I know it's not much but they do add up. In Asda I use the normal tills though as their self-service machines don't accept the shopping card I use so the one time I did use them I had to go to customer services for them to take the payment. In other places it depends on how much stuff I have.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness he was cute, I just had a tendency to stuff my basket full of Sainsburys value crisps/chocolate and whatnot for me and my flatmates so I didn't usually want someone coming over and looking at it! And yeah the older ladies are angels, literally swipe their employee cards and solve all the "This item will not scan even though it has a perfectly legible barcode" problems in about 5 seconds usually lol
    Those barcodes.... haha I know that feeling. I remember packing my basket full of the most unhealthy/cheap snacks and being met with the hugest smirk when one of the staff came over to help with an error. It's a recession damnit, don't judge:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Those barcodes.... haha I know that feeling. I remember packing my basket full of the most unhealthy/cheap snacks and being met with the hugest smirk when one of the staff came over to help with an error. It's a recession damnit, don't judge:mad:
    Yeah, they take one look at your basket and they're like :hahaha: xD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they take one look at your basket and they're like :hahaha: xD
    yup. Lol I remember seeing some guy's shopping basket which included some vaseline, a lads mag and a lone spoon. Ahh I don't think I (or the staff) had laughed so hard in a long while.

ReputationRep:
    yup. Lol I remember seeing some guy's shopping basket which included some vaseline, a lads mag and a lone spoon. Ahh I don't think I (or the staff) had laughed so hard in a long while.
    Ahahaha I don't even want to know what the spoon was for! Poor guy though, must have been dead embarassed

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha I don't even want to know what the spoon was for! Poor guy though, must have been dead embarassed
    Haha it's a store mystery.

ReputationRep:
    At least you didn't have a trolley stacked up with a small mountain of spirits like some people you stand behind in checkout queues.

ReputationRep:
    Haha it's a store mystery.
    All the creative uses of a spoon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    At least you didn't have a trolley stacked up with a small mountain of spirits like some people you stand behind in checkout queues.
    I always wonder if I'll see such people already passed out by the baskets on my way out. They always seem to get A LOT of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Self checkout, can just dump in all your loose change and it gives you decent change back without the attitude

ReputationRep:
    depends how much i have, if lots then cashier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I prefer self-service. That way I can buy as many sweets and crisps as I want and not feel like the check-out person is judging me for being a pig.
    HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is so me!

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder if I'll see such people already passed out by the baskets on my way out. They always seem to get A LOT of alcohol.
    And often they don't look too good.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.