Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What do you prefer using at supermarkets etc: self-checkouts or tills? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
    Self-service checkouts
    75.54%
    Tills
    24.46%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    And often they don't look too good.
    indeed, though most of the time I'm too focused on trying to avoid the dreaded multitude of errors

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    Personally I used to always go to tills until a mate showed me self-checkouts & I've pretty much gone there ever since. Whenever I've gone to the Tesco ones there's sometimes a problem but the Sainsbury's ones have been fine to me. I don't know why but I just feel more comfortable with them than going to a cashier.
    The Waitrose I shop at doesn't have self-service so I have to use checkouts but I don't mind, I always get the same attractive lady every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I prefer self-service. That way I can buy as many sweets and crisps as I want and not feel like the check-out person is judging me for being a pig.
    :rofl: Pretty much this. I may as well stock up on the chocolate when it's on offer!

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or do self-service machines invariably give out the oldest and muckiest fivers currently known to be in circulation?

Has anyone tried Waitrose self-service tills? They aren't in all branches. They are quite confusing to the uninitiated - hilariously, it can be quite hard for new users to figure out where to put their stuff once scanned and you see people standing in front of them, staring wildly in all directions, looking for the correct slot.
    Haha :P
    Thanks for the waitrose warning!

ReputationRep:
    OMG TOTES!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    The Waitrose I shop at doesn't have self-service so I have to use checkouts but I don't mind, I always get the same attractive lady every time
    We aim to please, or at least, my summer hols Waitrose-self aims to please.

ReputationRep:
    Self service. Can pick and choose what you want to pay for then

ReputationRep:
    Self service for limited amount of shopping and tills for huge amounts of shopping.

ReputationRep:
    I work on a till and it's surprising looking over at the self checkouts and observing how many couples etc how rows at the self service machines compared with at the checkout. people seem to get more stressed with the self service machines being awkward with them..

ReputationRep:
    Self-checkouts as I can tease the machine by putting all my 1p's and 2p's in it :ahee: But some of those machines are really slow, especially ones in Morrisons If I scan too quick, they start to ***********.

ReputationRep:
    Fed up of self service! Nothing but trouble. My latest woe with them which makes it to the top of my list is this scenario:
    Approach self service till with full basket in one hand and my reusable eco green bag in the other.
    Before I proceed with scanning, it asks me to press a button if Im using my own bags for packing, I press it.
    It says to place said bag on the packing sensor, which I do so happily, then it ****ing complains theres an 'unidentified item' on the sensor and thus it refuses to do anything more until staff comes over to sort it out (after waiting ten minutes!!!) Every single time, I kid you not. :mad:
    Real cashiers all the way. Abolish the monstrosities that are self service tills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladbags2012)
    Fed up of self service! Nothing but trouble. My latest woe with them which makes it to the top of my list is this scenario:
    Approach self service till with full basket in one hand and my reusable eco green bag in the other.
    Before I proceed with scanning, it asks me to press a button if Im using my own bags for packing, I press it.
    It says to place said bag on the packing sensor, which I do so happily, then it ****ing complains theres an 'unidentified item' on the sensor and thus it refuses to do anything more until staff comes over to sort it out (after waiting ten minutes!!!) Every single time, I kid you not. :mad:
    Real cashiers all the way. Abolish the monstrosities that are self service tills
    Don't know if this is the case with all of them, but a good technique with quite a few I've tried is to ignore the button. Scan the item, plonk it in your bag (the word "plonk" is not in TSR Spellcheck - bizarre!) and thrust it straight onto the scale in your bag, with a lot of the machines, this seems to overwhelm the "can't weigh your bag" problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    What's worse for me is I ALWAYS get my change in coppers, even if it's like 90p change...

They're planning "Hey you see that guy there, I'm going to chuck my change at him and see how much of it he can catch"
    That's because I've just chucked all of my spare change in there and then paid the balance by card so it's full of coppers.

Heheheheheeeee

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if this is the case with all of them, but a good technique with quite a few I've tried is to ignore the button. Scan the item, plonk it in your bag (the word "plonk" is not in TSR Spellcheck - bizarre!) and thrust it straight onto the scale in your bag, with a lot of the machines, this seems to overwhelm the "can't weigh your bag" problem.
    Ah okay, will give that a go the next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    That's because I've just chucked all of my spare change in there and then paid the balance by card so it's full of coppers.

Heheheheheeeee
    Lol, they actually freak if too much copper is paid into some of them - I saw a woman pouring bags of copper into one in Sainsburys and it started flashing red and the voice loudly announced "this till is now full, operator assistance required now, this till is now full, operator assistance required now!"

ReputationRep:
    Lol, they actually freak if too much copper is paid into some of them - I saw a woman pouring bags of copper into one in Sainsburys and it started flashing red and the voice loudly announced "this till is now full, operator assistance required now, this till is now full, operator assistance required now!"
    The mental image I have of this is hilarious. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    The mental image I have of this is hilarious. :rofl2:
    Ha, yeah, I thought it might get up and walk itself to the back office to be emptied!

ReputationRep:
    Tills, personal touch. Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Staffordwww.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Telfordwww.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Staffordwww.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Telfordwww.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Self check out :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.