Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, Leon 24 from Hull.

After applying for the TU100 course at The OU I moved and didn't have internet access until now. And now after falling behind i'm having trouble where to get started.

I've received an email from my tutor asking where my first piece of work is, So i replied explaining the situation and had no response.

So my question is, Is there anyone here studying or has studied that particular course that can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated, Leon.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it was probably a bad idea to just leave your OU work even though you didn't have internet access...could've gone to a library or something, or borrowed a friends computer - it might be distance learning but there are still deadlines! I presume you started in February and not October, as you would've missed a lot more than 1 assignment if it was October.

What exactly do you need help with? Finding out what work you need to be doing? If you log onto the OU website and go to StudentHome, you should see a link to TU100 right in the middle of that page. Go there, and then either on the left or right side of the page (seems to vary with module) you should see various links including one that mentions assignments (which will usually have links to all of the TMA questions), and usually some links to the library services, software/project downloads and forums. Just have a look around and familiarise yourself with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CimSlunt)
    Hey everyone, Leon 24 from Hull.

After applying for the TU100 course at The OU I moved and didn't have internet access until now. And now after falling behind i'm having trouble where to get started.

I've received an email from my tutor asking where my first piece of work is, So i replied explaining the situation and had no response.

So my question is, Is there anyone here studying or has studied that particular course that can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated, Leon.
    Hi Leon,

Sorry to hear you've fallen behind. Must be quite a stressful time with the move as well!

Firstly, without sounding like I'm having a go, you really should have contacted your tutor sooner. If you ever fall behind or feel that you won't be able to meet an assignment deadline, you really need to get in touch with your tutor ASAP. To be honest, your tutor probably wasn't too impressed that you didn't get in touch.

Generally, tutors are quite understanding (in my experience anyway) when it comes to deadlines and are happy to grant you an extension should you need one. I would recommend contacting your tutor again and seeing where you stand i.e. if it's too late to submit the assignment and if not, could they grant you an extension.

In the mean time, you're really going to have to get yourself up to speed. Unfortunately this may mean some late nights and no days off for a little while. But trust me, it will be worth it. You don't want to spend the whole module chasing deadlines and playing catch up.

To get up to speed you really just need to work your way through the course materials. I studied TU100 back in October 2011 (the first run) and it is quite a easy going module. It does a good job of getting you used to studying at degree level (how to reference etc), a good grounding in computing and IT, programming and maths.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but hopefully you find some of it useful. If you've got any further questions, feel free to ask mate. In the mean time, get in touch with your tutor.

Hope you get it sorted and all the best with your future studies.

Barry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.