Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I pretty much told him I liked him and now he hates me! Watch

I can't believe what I've done. I've ruined everything. I'm shaking like a leaf here because I'm so angry with myself and upset.

I'm extremely shy and awkward. I don't have any friends. There's one boy who I knew from my classes and I got on well with. I really wanted to be his friend, and I developed feelings for him. But due to my awkwardness and fear of rejection, we've always just stagnated at the "school friends" thing.
    I've been feeling so lonely for ages, and I'm desperate for a friend. I accepted that nothing would ever happen romantically between us, so I've been concentrating on trying to become better friends with him. I've asked advice from TSR before and you've all always said to just tell the person that you like them.
    So today, last day before the Easter Hols, I, after going red and stammering and coming across like a complete loser, told him I liked him and wished that we were better friends.
    As soon as it came out my mouth I wanted to be sick. It sounded so LAME. The boy just looked quite surprised, and then went quiet. That was before lunch.
    I was with him last lesson, and he COMPLETELY blanked me. At the end of the lesson, I hung around, playing with my bag, subtly waiting for him to leave. Then I hurried after him, but I misjudged it, I was too late, he was already half way down the corridor. I'm sure he knew I was behind him, but he didn't look round and I was too scared to shout after him. So he just went off and didn't even say bye to me, or "have a good easter".

I'm in tears now. Why am I so rubbish at this, and why doesn't anybody want to be friends with me. I feel absolutely mortified, I KNEW he didn't like me anywhere near as much as I him, but I just hoped ....

So thank you, TSR, everything's worse now. I wish I'd never said anything to him. I came across like a desperate loser. Aaaaargh.

ReputationRep:
    hey there's no point in beating yourself up about it. Do you have his number or can message him or something? Carry on as normal as if you hadn't said anything

ReputationRep:
    Aww that's horrible. There's nothing you can do really other than accept it and move on. He could of handled it a lot better but I guess he's still a bit immature about relationships and girls. Leave it for a few days and try contact him if you can. Explain that you don't want it to ruin your friendship and if he doesn't accept it and apologise for his reaction then he's not worth it really.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Easter will give you both a chance to think about it?

ReputationRep:
    Hm, it was probably a shock to him but he could have handled that better! Just remember, even if someone doesn't like you in return, the majority of people would be flattered that you liked them and found them attractive. It is unlikely he hates you. Perhaps once you return from the Easter holidays he'll have processed it and got over the initial shock and you might both be good friends again. If you don't feel you can wait until after the holidays, then contact him, explain that you don't want it to spoil the good friendship you previously had, and hopefully he'll accept that. It may be a bit awkward for a week or so, but if you two are good friends then it should be fine.

Don't beat yourself up about it! Maybe it is better that your feelings are out in the open, rather than you keeping your feelings bottled up inside for a long time, however bad you feel right now. I'm sure things will get better. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    From reading it, sounds like he is shy as well and possibly embarrassed, confused etc.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt that he hates you. If he does, he's weird. I don't think anyone has ever hated someone who fancies them. The likely explanation is that he is very inexperienced with girls and just had no idea how to react. This clearly doesn't happen to him everyday - maybe take comfort in that fact? Maybe he's never had a girl be so upfront about her feelings before. I say kudos to you for telling him, because a lot of people haven't the courage to admit their feelings to the person in question, and at least now you know where you stand and you can move on. You're not a desperate loser at all. I bet he's had loads of unrequited crushes. Cast your net further when you get back after Easter and talk to some new people.

ReputationRep:
    It was the 'pretty much' part which ruined it. If you'd told him you like him instead, could have been a different story.....

ReputationRep:
    Nearly everyone will have had one, or more, painful / embarrassing rejections. Dating is only smooth for a very few. Keep battling..

ReputationRep:
    The matter of the fact is, he just didn't know how to react, I highly doubt that he hates you. I'm almost certain that if you tried to start a conversation on Facebook, or through texts, he'ld be fine with it...

If a girl turned around to me an said that she loved me (Not that it's happened yet), and I didn't feel the same way, I would be REALLY flattered by the offer, but I wouldn't stop talking to them, if anything, I'ld try to talk more with them, maybe to see if I could try and make something happen.

Just calm down for now, I'm sure he'll talk soon about it, he's likely just really shy.

ReputationRep:
    If he's going to be a prick about it, you have to ask yourself if its worth knowing someone who would act like that.

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT take it personally, just play the waiting game, if he refuses to speak to you it's his loss and it's doubtful that he'd be that ****ty if you're even slightly friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.