Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Other half and phones/privacy Watch

Would you be slightly suspicious/ annoyed if your other half never EVER let you on their phone.. Even just to use Internet or take photos etc...And they allow their friends on it whenever?
    It kinda feels like there is something they have to hide...
    I can't broach the subject without my other half getting really defensive.

I guess trust is the key here.. But how can you trust if you have never been able to see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you be slightly suspicious/ annoyed if your other half never EVER let you on their phone.. Even just to use Internet or take photos etc...And they allow their friends on it whenever?
    It kinda feels like there is something they have to hide...
    I can't broach the subject without my other half getting really defensive.

I guess trust is the key here.. But how can you trust if you have never been able to see?
    yeah I'd be suspicious, my husband lets me see and use his phone anytime I want and I would too so we have nothing to hide

ReputationRep:
    they have pics and videos of you naked

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a bit suspicious yeh. I wouldn't like to have a boyfriend who went snooping all the time, read every message on it etc, but I would let him see it for things like games and camera. If you can't allow your partner to have a look at that kind of thing, it looks like you're hiding something.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'd be suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    yeah. I'd hate to think my boyfriend read through my messages.. not because there is anything to hide because it just feels creepy and like he would be checking up on me. But if he picked it up off the table I would just assume he was checking the time, or if he was on it longer than that playing a game. The fact that they are so concerned about you having it is strange

edit: also some people are really weird about other people so much as touching their phones but that can't be the case as you say they let friends.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's not too keen on anyone touching his phone, as the last two times it broke, it was because it was dropped (by two people other than himself). I've never asked to look at his messages, however if I'm in the room with him and he get's a text, he lets me look. He's been through my phone before, but he's a tech dork and was making it better since it started out pretty ****e.

If he lets his friends touch it, he should let you. End of story.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.