Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Just some questions

1. At what year in the degree can a law student start to apply to Vacation Schemes/Internships at large City law firms? Do firms accept applications from applicants of any year?

2. When applying for your first internship/scheme, what should be decent things on your CV? I'm worried because at that point most of the stuff on my CV is going to be unrelated to Law, besides maybe some clubs and mooting.

3. If you receive a TC offer, and they opt to pay for your LPC, can you defer that? Say, if you wanted to do an LLM in America first or something, and THEN do the LPC and join the firm.

4. What's the market rate for a Magic Circle first-year trainee salary, and first-year newly qualified solicitor salary?

5. My degree is a five-year combined double degree program where I get a bachelor of business and a bachelor of laws. Will this put me above other applicants to TCs, ceteris parabis? Will the business knowledge be seen as useful to firms, particularly if I want to get into corporate law and M&A? Or will it make no difference

ReputationRep:
    1. Second year onwards is standard procedure for applying for vac schemes, though not a set-in-stone rule.

2. Things that show initiative, drive, work ethic and so on are good even if they are not related to law. Read more here.

3. Depends on the firm, but quite possibly.

4. See here for salaries.

5. It may help with certain firms, depending on the grade you get, how you market it on your CV, and what other qualities you have.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lifeisgood.)

1. At what year in the degree can a law student start to apply to Vacation Schemes/Internships at large City law firms? Do firms accept applications from applicants of any year?
    Penultimate year of a qualifying Law degree, Final year of a non Law degree.

No, though some firms run events for First years now they are not full vac schemes. You can apply for them in other years if you miss out first time but they are largely targeted at those 2 groups.

2. When applying for your first internship/scheme, what should be decent things on your CV? I'm worried because at that point most of the stuff on my CV is going to be unrelated to Law, besides maybe some clubs and mooting.
    Law related stuff like mooting and Pro Bono is useful, but generally you can tie any leadership position of a sport/society into the questions, as a Law student your commitment to Law is much easier to prove than for someone looking to convert. Personally I'd say being very good at any extra curricular is better than being mediocre at a law one. Also, committee positions are much easier to come by outside of law stuff as most law students are more career focussed. If you do a sport being one of the best at it and turning up to the socials generally makes you a shoe in for some sort of position.

3. If you receive a TC offer, and they opt to pay for your LPC, can you defer that? Say, if you wanted to do an LLM in America first or something, and THEN do the LPC and join the firm.
    You'd have to ask the firm at the time but they're generally pretty amenable to productive gap years.

4. What's the market rate for a Magic Circle first-year trainee salary, and first-year newly qualified solicitor salary?
    Around 37-38k and then 60-65. If you're purely after the money though you're better at somewhere like Skadden or Clearys, but these have smaller offices and fewer practice areas, plus apparently work you even harder than the MC.

See this for full details: http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net...s_Benefits.pdf

5. My degree is a five-year combined double degree program where I get a bachelor of business and a bachelor of laws. Will this put me above other applicants to TCs, ceteris parabis? Will the business knowledge be seen as useful to firms, particularly if I want to get into corporate law and M&A? Or will it make no difference
    Possibly, they look for commercial awareness a lot and you'll presumably already have it, but at the same time they check every other candidate does too so it may just save you a lot of the pre-interview FT reading that others have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeisgood.)

They're not dumb questions.

1. Penultimate year if you plan on going straight into your LPC/BPTC after university and then straight into your training contract/pupillage.
    2. Some casual legal work experience might help but anything which demonstrates the key skills of a solicitor/barrister. It doesn't have to be law-related and in many respects, it's good to have a wide range of experiences/extra curriculars. It shows you do more than just study law.
    3. I think it depends on the firm.
    4.That really depends on the firm. Very generally speaking trainee salaries in MC firms are in the region of £35,000 for the first year of your TC, £40,000 in your second year and anything from £60,000-£70,000 on qualification. Some non-MC firms pay higher though.
    5.The business knowledge will undoubtedly be helpful because commercial awareness is a huge part of TC/pupillage applications these days. That said, just because you have an 'extra' part to your degree, doesn't mean that someone with the basic 3 year law degree (or even no law degree at all) isn't going to be better than you. You've still got to stand out - doing a 5 year degree is only one aspect of that. On a side note, you might want to check that your course is a qualifying law degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.