Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go to my fourth choice university or take a gap year and reapply? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently applied for English and got rejected from my top three choices. I don't really know what to do.
    I like my fourth choice, but it isn't really a top ten sort of place and I think of I went there I'd resent it because I missed out on something 'better'.
    Should I take a gap year and reapply or just accept I'm not smart enough for the other unis and move on?
    I never really considered a gap year before, and I'm not sure what I could do to improve my CV or whatever. I don't really have any real world skills but I don't think 'I don't have anyting else to do' is a great reason to blow that much money on tuition fees, especially if it's somewhere that I'll just be 'fine' for three years.

Please help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was in EXACTLY the same position last year.
    i hadn't got the offers I wanted and I felt as if I could do better. I didn't have a great desire for a gap year and had no plans to travel like others had.

im gonna be completely honest with you now. I'm on my gap year and I hate it. However I reapplied to unis with my grades, got unconditional offers and now I'm going to a great uni that I feel as if I deserve.

It was horrid watching all my friends get independence, and basically a whole new life with new friends at uni. I was bored at weekends and evenings as I had no friends around as they had all gone to uni. I didn't wanna go on Facebook as all I saw were their pictures at freshers etc.

i got a full time job to fill my time, it was great to earn money and buy things that I wanted (I bought my own car by myself!), and I know uni friends were jealous of me having money- funny how I was jealous of them!

I'm also still living at home. I really should have gone to uni/moved out because I was really ready for independence and as a result my relationship is now strained with my parents.

I do regret not going to uni. But I also know I would have regretted just going to the uni I was offered. It was hard doing my ucas form all over again, it was a lot of extra effort to get support from my former 6th form.

Basically, if you take a gap year, it will be a tough year. But it will be worth it. You'll end up at a uni that you dont resent and you'll appreciate your time at the uni you want even more. You will have life experience before you go to uni and you'll be better for it. That's what I'm telling myself at least! I advise you to fill up your gap year if you take one. Take evening classes because you'll miss learning and mental stimulation, find a job, save some money so you can treat yourself at uni, go around the world volunteering or just travel. Do something. Doesn't waste your year! You'll end up regretting not doing more on your gap year more than not going to uni!

i really hope this helps, any more questions please just ask!

ReputationRep:
    What is your fourth choice?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    ................................ ................................ ...........................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy676)
    Hey I was in EXACTLY the same position last year.
    i hadn't got the offers I wanted and I felt as if I could do better. I didn't have a great desire for a gap year and had no plans to travel like others had.

im gonna be completely honest with you now. I'm on my gap year and I hate it. However I reapplied to unis with my grades, got unconditional offers and now I'm going to a great uni that I feel as if I deserve.

It was horrid watching all my friends get independence, and basically a whole new life with new friends at uni. I was bored at weekends and evenings as I had no friends around as they had all gone to uni. I didn't wanna go on Facebook as all I saw were their pictures at freshers etc.

i got a full time job to fill my time, it was great to earn money and buy things that I wanted (I bought my own car by myself!), and I know uni friends were jealous of me having money- funny how I was jealous of them!

I'm also still living at home. I really should have gone to uni/moved out because I was really ready for independence and as a result my relationship is now strained with my parents.

I do regret not going to uni. But I also know I would have regretted just going to the uni I was offered. It was hard doing my ucas form all over again, it was a lot of extra effort to get support from my former 6th form.

Basically, if you take a gap year, it will be a tough year. But it will be worth it. You'll end up at a uni that you dont resent and you'll appreciate your time at the uni you want even more. You will have life experience before you go to uni and you'll be better for it. That's what I'm telling myself at least! I advise you to fill up your gap year if you take one. Take evening classes because you'll miss learning and mental stimulation, find a job, save some money so you can treat yourself at uni, go around the world volunteering or just travel. Do something. Doesn't waste your year! You'll end up regretting not doing more on your gap year more than not going to uni!

i really hope this helps, any more questions please just ask!
    Hi, thank you for the lovely comment
    Do you know of anything that I could do on a gap year in the travel/volunteering/CV-padding sense? If I stay home my parents will probably end up killing me with a shovel. I really want to travel, because my entire life has basically been school in England, and going to university seems like resigning myself to an eternity of mortgages and crappy weather :L

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ics-uk.org.uk/about/

Hey again!

check out the link above. Next month im going away with a charity for 3 months to volunteer.

The best thing about ICS? Its all paid for.

Your flights, accomodation, visas, food, etc etc. You dont spend a penny (you do have to fundraise for the charity, but that's to prove your commitment.)

Have a look, read for yourself, but its great if you wanna get away but not pay out!

Also, just google 'gap year'! There are sooooo many organisations and websites with ideas!

http://www.gapyear.com/ <<< this is great for ideas, articles, info

http://www.realgap.co.uk/ <<< great way to find companies/charities to go away with

http://www.statravel.co.uk/ <<< special student website that helps you find cheap flights etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AandJ123)
    York.
    I know it's great for English and the city is beautiful, but the I find the actual campus really depressingly ugly, and I never got that 'wow I could be happy here/ I'm so proud I got in' feeling when I was looking round.

I got rejected from Cambridge durham and Warwick.
    York is a great Uni to get your degree from. I wouldn't suggest a gap year but its your choice. You could just go to York for the first year then transfer rather than wasting anymore time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I was in a similar position last year, having been unsure of what I wanted to study at university. On results day, when I was accepted into Accountancy which is definitely NOT what I wanted to do, I cried my eyes out and decided to take a gap year. Six months on and I COULDN'T be happier. I ended up being an au pair in Paris, and although it's not the most glamorous of careers(!!!), I have become practically fluent in French, been able to repeat my French exam to achieve an A star and have just accepted Law with French Law at Exeter, a course and uni I am actually excited about! If you have any language skills, I would definitely recommend au pairing, although it is not for the weak hearted I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Paris and feel a lot more mature and well rounded as a person. Don't hesitate to contact me for questions. Bisous Anna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irlandaise)
    Hey. I was in a similar position last year, having been unsure of what I wanted to study at university. On results day, when I was accepted into Accountancy which is definitely NOT what I wanted to do, I cried my eyes out and decided to take a gap year. Six months on and I COULDN'T be happier. I ended up being an au pair in Paris, and although it's not the most glamorous of careers(!!!), I have become practically fluent in French, been able to repeat my French exam to achieve an A star and have just accepted Law with French Law at Exeter, a course and uni I am actually excited about! If you have any language skills, I would definitely recommend au pairing, although it is not for the weak hearted I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Paris and feel a lot more mature and well rounded as a person. Don't hesitate to contact me for questions. Bisous Anna
    Hi

Au-pairing's probably not an option for me (I have no experience with kids) but out of curiosity, could you tell me;
    how you got the job, whether you needed any qualifications, what they paid you and what you actually had to do?

Thanks, and congrats on Exeter, I have that as my insurance (I might have firmed it but it's REALLY far away) and it seems great. I'm just not sure either there or York is the right place for me so I don't want to rush in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.