Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,, I'm new to this so if anyone can point me in the right direction!

I'm 34 and will be starting Access to Health in September and hopefully applying to Uni to study Children's Nursing 2014. I hope to undertake some work experience at my local hospital but if anyone can advise me what else I could do to strengthen my application i.e. what books to read/subscribe to, short courses etc I would greatly appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joannev)
    Hi,, I'm new to this so if anyone can point me in the right direction!

I'm 34 and will be starting Access to Health in September and hopefully applying to Uni to study Children's Nursing 2014. I hope to undertake some work experience at my local hospital but if anyone can advise me what else I could do to strengthen my application i.e. what books to read/subscribe to, short courses etc I would greatly appreciate it.
    Hi I've just been offered a place to do Children's Nursing.I'm doing an Open University course and volunteered on the children's ward at my local hospital. Besides that I did a paediatric first aid course at the local adult learning centre that was two days long. None of my interviewers asked about it although I did bring it up myself. I think the most important thing on the personal statement is to explain what the work experience has taught you such as communication, interacting with children, insight into nurses duties and role, how to deal with emotional situations. All my interviewers were keen to see that I was fully prepared and informed on what the job actually involves, positives and negatives. Not sure if that helps but good luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.