Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

has anyone here FULLY stopped smoking cigs/weed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    basically i've been a daily smoker for 3 years now (weed and cigs). i literally have no money left and i'm with my parents for easter hol (they HATE smoking and don't know that i do it). even if i had money it would be too much effort to smoke and get away with it (smoking outdoors in this weather isn't worth it). so yeah, i haven't touched a single spliff or cig for an entire week now and stopped thinking about it after the first 2 days

i honestly thought i'd be going crazy at this point, but i'm finding not smoking so easy. problem is i know as soon as that student loan kicks in and im back at uni i'll light up the fattest of all spliffs. it would definitely be a "stfu, i deserve this" moment.

how can you completely stop smoking? has anyone here successfully done it? smoking is just too nice man, love that ****

edit: and if anyone's wondering i was smoking roughly 5 cigs and 2 joints a day, now im smoking nothing at all (but once i've got money and i'm back in my uni house i know there's no stopping me)

ReputationRep:
    Is two option:

-smoke
    -don't smoke

the difficulty is being arise from people seeking a 'method' for the second option, when second option is solely being both option and method concurrently.

ReputationRep:
    I only smoked once in my life, and it was weed, and it was horrible. Not the effects of the weed, but the burning of the smoking itself. I never want to do it again and I have no idea how smokers do it regularly.

ReputationRep:
    i have managed to completely stop smoking by never smoking in the first place

ReputationRep:
    just try to resist. Distract yourself with other things. Of course if all your flatmates are smoking too, more of a challenge. While they are, go do work or something.
    I don't smoke regurlarly, but sometimes i really want to but don't, so i know it will obviously be harder for you, but i hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullah.S)
    Is two option:

-smoke
    -don't smoke

the difficulty is being arise from people seeking a 'method' for the second option, when second option is solely being both option and method concurrently.
    lol smoking is too nice though

it's like someone telling u to stop eating ur favourite food, then u have to watch people constantly do it as u go about ur daily life

(Original post by smd4std)
    i have managed to completely stop smoking by never smoking in the first place
    ur missing out bro

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I only smoked once in my life, and it was weed, and it was horrible. Not the effects of the weed, but the burning of the smoking itself. I never want to do it again and I have no idea how smokers do it regularly.
    yeah u get used to that. i remember the days i used to take 1 drag off a spliff/cig and cough my eyeballs out for the next 20 mins

weed can be a life saver though.. cured my insomnia and completely relieved the itching/irritation from the chickenpox i had a few years ago. whenever i catch a flu or something i smoke a joint and feel completely normal. paracetamol and all the other bull**** is completely useless

but yeah, smoking daily is ****ing stupid. need to stop that and maybe start a weekend only routine

edit: i'd kill to have ur tolerance >_< back in the day i used to hallucinate and ****, it was amazing.. now i just get a little buzz, dry tongue and red eyes rofl

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to some, choose not to smoke. Simple as that.

Clearly, you still want to though, or you wouldn't be making the pathetic excuse of "but its nice"

ReputationRep:
    you will finding is something you can not do moderation

is either every day
    or no day

this is being if you have smoking it everyday for long period of time before, is putting you in this category.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy enough to stop on your own, get's more difficult when you're drinking with other smokers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    It's easy enough to stop on your own, get's more difficult when you're drinking with other smokers etc.
    ive already accepted that if i drink i'm easily smoking 10-20 in the space of like 3-4 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by compSciStudent)
    ive already accepted that if i drink i'm easily smoking 10-20 in the space of like 3-4 hours
    Ahh, that's the problem. A 12.5g would normally last me a good 3-4 days, then I drink and it lasts 3-4 hours

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to quit smoking half heartedly a number of times. It isnt worth the effort. I know I dont really want to quit, I enjoy it, and so I have now at the age of 20, resigned myslef to being a 20/day smoker for life.

ReputationRep:
    I've only tried weed once so can't help there, but I used to smoke 20 a day for about 4 years. I quit in July and haven't touched a cigarette since. I did it by reading the Alan Carr (not the comedian lol) book that loads of people recommend, think it's about £3 on amazon. My boyfriend quit as his New Year's resolution and hasn't smoked since the 1st Jan just through pure will power. I would recommend the book, but my bf is proof that you can do it through pure will power - if you don't want to smoke, then don't!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Been pretty much a daily smoker of weed for coming up to five years, the longest break I had was about 3 weeks. I'm attempting to stop again as I have re-takes coming up and i'm on day 10 atm and the insomnia is just starting to go away. The only problem being i'm smoking at least twice as many cigarettes now!

In terms of stopping smoking weed, you need to stop chilling with your mates that do which is incredibly hard and the reason I failed for so long as I wasn't prepared to abandon my whole social group, however now the majority of the group have all tried to quit making it easier. But if you stop hanging around with the people you smoke weed with, you're going to be less inclined to smoke because after a while smoking by yourself gets boring and it won't be a point of discussion if you're with people that don't bun. You also need to be quitting for yourself, not for the sake of other people.

When it comes to stopping cigarettes... that's just pure willpower although I hear the e-cigarette is quite effective or you could just load yourself up with patches

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I stopped smoking last year, just gotta not give up and you'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    I have gave up smoking 6 months ago. This is the longest period I have gone without a cigarette after being a 15 a day man for about 10 years.

Previously, I gave up for 3 months but then got back on it. The only thing I did different this time was to wean myself off them with e-cigs but after a while, I was barely using those anymore. They can definitely made the first week or so of giving up a heck of a lot easier than cold turkey.

ReputationRep:
    I only just started, regretting it already. I keep getting weird craves in lessons :/

ReputationRep:
    Didn't smoke cigs but smoked weed heavily every day for about 2 years (so smoked quite a lot of tobacco in that), not touched it in 3 weeks. It's not too bad, my appetite was a little bad at first and I struggle to sleep (but I did before I started smoking anyway). I eased my way off this time, last time I tried to quit I just went cold turkey and it was the worst thing ever, started smoking again pretty quickly, easing your way off is definitely the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about sewing your mouth up?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.