Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had severe difficulties last year meaning I could not attend class and had to leave in the middle of my exams which resulted in my grades not being very good (although I have met or exceeded minimum requirements for all my universities). This is mentioned on my ucas form however I am now over these difficulties as well as now working at an A grade for my subjects. However I was rejected from a number of universities all because of my grades last year (one said 'your personal statement was very impressive as were your grades considering the circumstances you gained them in however there were applicants who were academically stronger than yourself'.)

Can a university reject me based on my circumstances even though they have offered an unconditional to people I am now preforming better than? I discussed this with a teacher - in much more detail than I am now - and she felt that they were discriminating against me.

Can I put forward a strong appeal based on the reasons they have given me for my rejections?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't have to give you offers, it seems likely that the university rejected you because you weren't considered as suitable as other candidates for that particular course. The way I've read it they haven't rejected you because of your circumstances, they turned you down because the other candidates were just that little bit better/more suited. Grades aren't everything; just because you're performing better than another person and they get an offer doesn't mean you are guaranteed one unfortunately.

You could try appealing but it's very competitive so you may/may not have any success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholymelody)
    however there were applicants who were academically stronger than yourself

Can a university reject me based on my circumstances
    this suggests that they rejected you based on your academic profile rather than your circumstances

you can appeal, of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    this suggests that they rejected you based on your academic profile rather than your circumstances

you can appeal, of course
    Yes I do understand and if my grades were a true representation of my abilities I would have accepted it. However, my grades were lowered as a result of my circumstances and so I would just wondering if I can argue this as it was not in my control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholymelody)
    Yes I do understand and if my grades were a true representation of my abilities I would have accepted it. However, my grades were lowered as a result of my circumstances and so I would just wondering if I can argue this as it was not in my control.
    but they took the circumstances into account

ReputationRep:
    If your school informed the exam board of your 'personal difficulties' this will have been taken into account by them in deciding your grade(s). You can't then expect to get this consideration twice - ie. for the Universities to regard the grades as 'not real' and give you 'consideration' all over again.

Grades, combined with your PS, are how Universities make decisions about 'academic potential'. Whatever way you look at it, the University doesnt think you are up to this course. Accept it, and move on.

If you are certain that your final results will be good, then there is nothing to stop you withdrawing you entire UCAS application for this year and making a totally fresh application next year with *known grades* and a PS that doesnt mention anything about your previous 'difficulties'.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. I know that universities get a ridiculous amount of people just trying their luck when appealing so wanted to see if I have a case that wouldn't waste their time which is why I came on here. I do have offers now so I know i'm not stuck but thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.