Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 at the mo, and everyone seems to be going a bit mental about universities. I don't know very much about where I'm going to apply to, but I know that my absolute dream would be to apply to Cambridge to read Spanish and German. Whenever I mention this to people , they smile and go "Ah... I always had you down as an Oxford kinda guy". I've heard it so many times (from mates, teachers and even my chemist mentioned it to my mum) that I'm almost afraid I'm missing something, or that Cambridge is genuinely the wrong place.

So yeah, it got me thinking... is there a difference between the people that apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and has anyone else been labelled as an 'Oxford' or 'Cambridge' person?

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you, there are alot of strange and stuck up people in this world.

I was at a freinds party and two guys who were both applying to Oxford asked me where I was applying.
    I listed the Unis and when I said "Cambridge" they looked wry and said "Ah I could have guessed, you seem the Cambridge type"

ReputationRep:
    I think generally the impression people have is that Cambridge is more focused on science and oxford is more focused on humanities. Somehow I just think Oxford is more classy :P

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's a stereotype (in fact, scratch that, it's definitely a stereotype) but 'Oxford people' are often seen as quite humanities based and a little odd (no hate - Oxford 2013 offer ) whilst 'Cambridge people' come across as more studious and serious and often mathesy. However, this is purely a stereotype that people play on - I have a friend who just got an offer from Cambridge for French and Spanish and another friend going to Oxford for German and law - they suit the unis for some reason, but they don't fit into the stereotypes I've just mentioned. Go with your heart, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamsterdowns)
    Maybe it's a stereotype (in fact, scratch that, it's definitely a stereotype) but 'Oxford people' are often seen as quite humanities based and a little odd (no hate - Oxford 2013 offer ) whilst 'Cambridge people' come across as more studious and serious and often mathesy. However, this is purely a stereotype that people play on - I have a friend who just got an offer from Cambridge for French and Spanish and another friend going to Oxford for German and law - they suit the unis for some reason, but they don't fit into the stereotypes I've just mentioned. Go with your heart, and good luck!
    I do get what you mean, the people I see applying to Oxford generally seem a lil detached and kinda on a different wavelength, which to a certain extent does come off as snobby and arrogant (no offense, I'm 100% sure this isn't the case for Oxford as a whole :P )

I kinda prefer Cambridge, simply as the course looks a bit nicer, but I've relented to all the peer pressure and am going to the MFL open day next month. Maybe they're right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanners95)
    I do get what you mean, the people I see applying to Oxford generally seem a lil detached and kinda on a different wavelength, which to a certain extent does come off as snobby and arrogant (no offense, I'm 100% sure this isn't the case for Oxford as a whole :P )

I kinda prefer Cambridge, simply as the course looks a bit nicer, but I've relented to all the peer pressure and am going to the MFL open day next month. Maybe they're right...
    Don't base your choice on such vague notions of "Oh you look like an Oxford man". If you prefer the course at Cambridge then go for it (Though it's still a good idea to learn more about Oxford just in case you have a change of heart). Also, the two cities are pretty different so this might also be something to take into account.

ReputationRep:
    Take out your anger when the annual boat race comes around.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. Mainly because thats where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Don't base your choice on such vague notions of "Oh you look like an Oxford man". If you prefer the course at Cambridge then go for it (Though it's still a good idea to learn more about Oxford just in case you have a change of heart). Also, the two cities are pretty different so this might also be something to take into account.
    Yeah, that's why I'm going... I think it'd be best if at least go and see what Oxford's like before ruling it out. Maybe the city will be nicer than expected and the course isn't as bad as I think

ReputationRep:
    I'm Cambridge, but for 2 obvious reasons:

1) I go there
    2) I'm from Swindon, where liking Oxford makes you the antichrist

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Oxford [reject] Person! I'm also Swedish, but hey I've made it to London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theflyingbarney)
    I'm Cambridge, but for 2 obvious reasons:

1) I go there
    2) I'm from Swindon, where liking Oxford makes you the antichrist
    As good a reason as many others you hear!

I have to confess to visiting Swindon from time to time. It's not quite as bad as portrayed. They have a very large Sainsburys, some good cinemas and one or two nice curry houses. Also a lot of roundabouts.

The 'Oxford best for humanities, Cambridge best for sciences' thing is exaggerated. Lots and lots of very good science at Oxford. And lots and lots of very good humanities at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    As a rule of thumb if someone wears a Cravat they are from Oxford; a Bow Tie is Cambridge and long ties indicate perhaps London ?

ReputationRep:
    Originally I thought I was going to apply to Oxford (medicine - A100) but after being invited to their UNIQ one day event, I just was not keen on the place as a whole... just did not sit well with me, no idea why though.

Then I went on a school trip to Cambridge where I spent the week working in the Biochemistry department and fell in love with the place. So I applied for Medicine there... got rejected :cry2: but hey ho I am now off to Cardiff to be a doctor :awesome:

Curious the stereotypes everyone is talking about as they suit my school's applicants pretty well. Everyone who applied to Cambridge was: medicine, maths or maths with physics. Whilst the oxford applicant was philosophy and theology. And more curiously we all fit those stereotypes :lolwut:, for example one of the other Cambridge applicants and I used to play chess together whilst revising our subjects at the same time (the migraine that gives...), whilst the Oxford applicant would be up in the art room painting or reading massive old texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    As good a reason as many others you hear!

I have to confess to visiting Swindon from time to time. It's not quite as bad as portrayed. They have a very large Sainsburys, some good cinemas and one or two nice curry houses. Also a lot of roundabouts.

The 'Oxford best for humanities, Cambridge best for sciences' thing is exaggerated. Lots and lots of very good science at Oxford. And lots and lots of very good humanities at Oxford.
    Haha yeah I agree, it's not that bad (for the most part anyway), it's just not especially good either

Ironically the one person I know who goes to Oxford is the son of a former Swindon Town footballer - the football rivalry is massive so not sure how he's taken it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Originally I thought I was going to apply to Oxford (medicine - A100) but after being invited to their UNIQ one day event, I just was not keen on the place as a whole... just did not sit well with me, no idea why though.

Then I went on a school trip to Cambridge where I spent the week working in the Biochemistry department and fell in love with the place. So I applied for Medicine there... got rejected :cry2: but hey ho I am now off to Cardiff to be a doctor :awesome:

Curious the stereotypes everyone is talking about as they suit my school's applicants pretty well. Everyone who applied to Cambridge was: medicine, maths or maths with physics. Whilst the oxford applicant was philosophy and theology. And more curiously we all fit those stereotypes :lolwut:, for example one of the other Cambridge applicants and I used to play chess together whilst revising our subjects at the same time (the migraine that gives...), whilst the Oxford applicant would be up in the art room painting or reading massive old texts.
    Ya, chess is regarded as very outré at Ox - I've really never seen a board and could probably name some, but not all, of the capital pieces. I am hazy about what they get up to in terms of movement.

Massive old texts - yep! Can definitely vouch for those. There are literally heaps all over my college. Some tutes sit on immense piles of them, just to make an impression. The older the better - one of our leading economists relies on a signed Adam Smith first draft, with which he hits idiot first years who think the Invisible Hand is related somehow to imaginary bread. (Insider PPE joke.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)

Errm this is not just a Cambridge applicanty thing I assure you - last year the Trinity Oxford applicants (and student helpers) went chess crazy in the JCR. Of course there were the arty, bookish types too.

Just goes to show that no matter what one person's experience of the matter is, a diverse student body of 17000 just can't be reduced to simplistic stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm a Cambridge person... Not because of the "scientific" stereotype (I want to study Law) but because I love the look and feel of the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ya, chess is regarded as very outré at Ox - I've really never seen a board and could probably name some, but not all, of the capital pieces. I am hazy about what they get up to in terms of movement.
    St John's College (Oxford) has a chess room

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.