Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was my friend anonymously harassing me? Watch

A while ago I had this person calling themselves anonymous harassing me by text, their number was displayed though so I asked a friend of mine whose number it was and the told me it was this boy in my class. There's been this female friend of mine that's been avoiding giving me her number and when I finally got it, it matches EXACTLY to the apparent boy's number.

However, this girl said she did get her number changed a while ago. Could it have been her harassing me and not the boy? If the boy did get rid of his number, is it even possible for the network to give the same number to someone else in this same class? I mean there's so many people on the network, what are the odds... Was it her harassing me because I don't want to randomly accuse her of something, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    It was her harassing you. What a *****! :hugs:

That's what I'm thinking but I'm struggling to believe it, we've never fought and this anonymous person had a completely different style of talking too (casual swearing etc) whereas this girl doesn't EVER swear.

I'm glad I saved all the conversations and number thinking it would come in handy, or I would've never picked up on any of this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's what I'm thinking but I'm struggling to believe it, we've never fought and this anonymous person had a completely different style of talking too (casual swearing etc) whereas this girl doesn't EVER swear.
    That's really weird! I don't know why she'd even try to act differently though... But I don't think phone companies give out the same number twice so unless she bought the phone from this other guy it is her.

ReputationRep:
    Did she sign the texts '-A'?

Different style of speech doesn't mean much, it's quite common for anonymous harassers to change from the usual way they write so as not to be recognised. The chances of her buying the phone from him are slim.

OP you've got to stand up for yourself, confront her about it and see what she says. If this continues/she gets iffy about it go to your teacher (and obvs tell your other friends too). Is she friends with the person who told you the number belonged to a boy?

(Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)
    Did she sign the texts '-A'?

No, 'Anonymous x', it wasn't aggressive harassment it was her pretending to be this boy who flirts with me a lot, playing with my feelings and then rejecting me and saying it was all a joke. It hurt me like crazy because it's happened to me before and I've stopped talking to that boy completely for the past 6 months because of this.

Different style of speech doesn't mean much, it's quite common for anonymous harassers to change from the usual way they write so as not to be recognised. The chances of her buying the phone from him are slim.

OP you've got to stand up for yourself, confront her about it and see what she says. If this continues/she gets iffy about it go to your teacher (and obvs tell your other friends too). Is she friends with the person who told you the number belonged to a boy?
    YES, she's VERY close to the person who told me the number belonged to the boy, I doubt this other friend lied to me too though because I'm so close to her and trust her.

YES, she's VERY close to the person who told me the number belonged to the boy, I doubt this other friend lied to me too though because I'm so close to her and trust her.
    You'd be surprised. If I were you I'd have a stern word with her. And tell all your other friends/a teacher (probably the one who takes that class) too so she can't claim you were trying to pick a fight or something. She sounds like a total troublemaker and pretty sneaky at that. God I hate people like that...

I don't know if I'm overreacting but I felt SO insecure about the rejection, my self esteem crashed, I can't even look at that boy or talk to him, I thought he rejected me and made a fool of me because I wasn't good enough... all this and it wasn't even him!

OP you'll feel a lot better if you stand up for yourself. Also if you like that boy or whatever I presume you haven't spoken to him about it so get on that as well

I guess she thought it would be hilarious watching me become this insecure person. I made myself despise that boy and cut all contact with him too, now I feel horrible. I'm glad I didn't say anything mean to him, just was very, very distant.

I guess she thought it would be hilarious watching me become this insecure person. I made myself despise that boy and cut all contact with him too, now I feel horrible. I'm glad I didn't say anything mean to him, just was very, very distant.
    Go and deal with her then (like I said though it would probably be best to show all the texts and evidence to a teacher first so you have someone to back you up). Take it from someone who's dealt with bullies, you have to stand up to her.

Don't worry too much about the boy unless you were actively mean to him, you could just start up contact again and pretend you were busy or something and that's why you were so distant? Sometimes people naturally drift apart, just get chatting to him again and be really nice and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Go and deal with her then (like I said though it would probably be best to show all the texts and evidence to a teacher first so you have someone to back you up). Take it from someone who's dealt with bullies, you have to stand up to her.

Don't worry too much about the boy unless you were actively mean to him, you could just start up contact again and pretend you were busy or something and that's why you were so distant? Sometimes people naturally drift apart, just get chatting to him again and be really nice and I'm sure everything will be fine.
    How do I best confront her though? It sounds too trivial to tell a teacher because I might be overreacting, and if I ask her straight out, she'll just deny it

How do I best confront her though? It sounds too trivial to tell a teacher because I might be overreacting, and if I ask her straight out, she'll just deny it
    Well if the anonymous messages were really rude or inappropriate it seems like a good enough reason to mention it to the teacher briefly (you can just say you wanted their advice on how to deal with it as it was happening in their class?)

Regarding confronting her, just show her/talk about the messages and mention that the numbers are the same and ask her for an explanation (if it really wasn't her then you will probably be able to tell, obviously two faced people have a tendency to lie but see what she says anyway). If she says it wasn't her but she gives a flaky explanation tell her something like "Well if it was you then don't do it again or else xxx (insert consequences here, you won't speak to her again/will tell all your mutual friends what's going on or something)"

Do you know her very well, is she a catty/two faced person in general? Sometimes people like that are very charming on the outside but in reality very insincere and slimy.

Well if the anonymous messages were really rude or inappropriate it seems like a good enough reason to mention it to the teacher briefly (you can just say you wanted their advice on how to deal with it as it was happening in their class?)

Regarding confronting her, just show her/talk about the messages and mention that the numbers are the same and ask her for an explanation (if it really wasn't her then you will probably be able to tell, obviously two faced people have a tendency to lie but see what she says anyway). If she says it wasn't her but she gives a flaky explanation tell her something like "Well if it was you then don't do it again or else xxx (insert consequences here, you won't speak to her again/will tell all your mutual friends what's going on or something)"

Do you know her very well, is she a catty/two faced person in general? Sometimes people like that are very charming on the outside but in reality very insincere and slimy.
    I don't know her very well so we've never argued or anything, she did this a month after meeting me. I think she just did it for a laugh tbh, thanks for your help

I don't know her very well so we've never argued or anything, she did this a month after meeting me. I think she just did it for a laugh tbh, thanks for your help
    Yw, I'd be a bit wary of her/the friend who lied to you in future though

I can't confront her face to face as we've just started the Easter holidays, I have her number though so I want to bring it up with her over text. I don't want to let it slide because she's basically made a fool of me and I can't let her get away with it, should I just make some sly remark to her letting it slip that I know what she's done, and then be distant in college? At the same time I don't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing she's hurt me.

ReputationRep:
    Send this to her...
    Name:  DH080201SUICIDENOTE.png
Views: 116
Size:  203.1 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.