Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, any advice/knowledge here would be appreciated!

I am studying russian, french, latin and english for my ASs; I'm predicted four As and want to continue all of them to A-level. I did eleven GCSEs, around half of them iGCSEs, and got 9A*s an A and a B (both A and B were in maths).

I want to study french and linguistics at Oxford. I know that linguistics is a fairly new course, so there seems to be a lack of advice surrounding it. It's actually fairly mathematical and scientific, and the website doesn't require any specific A levels, although it says science, maths or any modern language would be useful. Are my Alevels so narrow that they'll hinder my chances of applying? Even if they aren't, surely my maths GCSE is sufficiently inadequate that I won't get in? Should I just apply for french and russian (which i find much less interesting) or should I maybe do a science AS next year? Any advice MUCH appreciated.

Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Don't apply for a degree you aren't interested in, just because it's Oxford and you may have more of a chance of getting into it than the course you prefer. I wouldn't have thought that it is very maths-y at all - I have a friend going to study Linguistics at Cambridge with just language/ humanities A levels, similar to yours. If they don't require maths/ science, then it should all be taught in a way you can understand from GCSE level ability, although it would obviously be easier if you had taken it to A level. You'll get the best advice from phoning up their admissions department and asking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I wouldn't have thought that it is very maths-y at all - I have a friend going to study Linguistics at Cambridge with just language/ humanities A levels, similar to yours. If they don't require maths/ science, then it should all be taught in a way you can understand from GCSE level ability
    Yeah i didn't think it was either, but apparently it's quite biological in terms of studying the effects of brain damage on language, and working out how the mouth forms sound waves, etcetera. :/ Apparently cambridge and oxford have really different courses in linguistics. Also, I know they don't require anything, but often they 'advise' certain things which implies that your chances of getting in without it are very disadvantaged. Thanks for your help! I will call the office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirazia)
    Yeah i didn't think it was either, but apparently it's quite biological in terms of studying the effects of brain damage on language, and working out how the mouth forms sound waves, etcetera. :/ Apparently cambridge and oxford have really different courses in linguistics. Also, I know they don't require anything, but often they 'advise' certain things which implies that your chances of getting in without it are very disadvantaged. Thanks for your help! I will call the office.
    Yeah, sometimes it's hard to work out what they really want! I hadn't thought about that sort of science-y stuff...
    Phoning them up is definitely the best plan!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.