Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I graduated with a degree in Film Studies but I've been unable to get any work experience/internships in the industry, except a one week one a month after graduating. I've applied for countless internships and runner positions but haven't got any of them. I've networked and attended workshops to learn more. Recently I was told I don't have enough experience to even be a runner! I'm feeling like my three years at uni was worthless.

Does anyone have any tips for getting into this industry? Anyone have the same problem?

Does anyone think I should look into other industries to work in? Like publishing/journalism. Currently I work in admin, which isn't what I pictured myself doing after three years at uni. Is there some good I could do with my degree?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I could help you a bit

Try applying to very small companies. Volunteer working for free and doing absolutely everything! Apply for jobs such as receptionist, PA, stuff like that. Sounds boring (and believe me, it is) BUT you will get to know everybody important and if an interesting job comes up you'll know first.

Network. Look for people who work at companies you'd like to work at and contact them asking if they'd know anything for you. It's begging, but sometimes it helps. Go to little art-house cinemas and get talking to people. Attend small or bigger film premieres if you can (as a waiter if you can't get an invitation) and once again network! Be friendly, interested, don't say anything about not getting a job! Just mention you're not happy where you're working now and that you'd be interested in something else.

Hope this helps a bit! Remember - your way will be long and hard but hopefully worth it in the end.

best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Was having a read at your post, I have a blog called After Uni, where Graduates have volunteered their After Uni stories for others to gain reassurance and seek advice. I've copied the link for a Media Production Grad, who works for Film Birmingham and has worked on the set of Hustle, whilst it prob doesn't tell you things you didn't already know, it might be reassuring that it took him nearly a year after graduating to get started and spent that time working in Tesco.

If you wish to seek further advice, your welcome to leave a comment underneath the interview - the premise is that Graduates who have volunteered their stories have agreed to give advice to those who express an interest.

afteruni.com/category/graduate-fridays/year-3/

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry niall22, your experience is not untypical. If you keep bashing away you may get your chance. It's important to make sure your CV has some practical experience in it (easy to say I know) as it is that that employers are interested in, and much less your degree.

Journalism would be equally as hard, at some point you may well have to reassess your career options and take a wider view. That won't necessarily be because you weren't good enough, it is just that this industry is a very tough one.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.