Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi guys,

I know there is a few of you on here that perhaps wouldn't mind me asking this.

I've just started a clinical placement (now that Liverpool's system has changed to all clinical placements from the very beginning). I'm doing 1 week equine and today was my first day. I'm not from a horsey background by any means, but I've had experience at stables before and sometimes help with my bf's parent's horses. So I am happy doing handling and being around all but the really nasty horses out there. However, it's been quite a set back for me today. For example, a stud manager asked if I wanted to either hold on to her new puppy or put a head collar on one of her horses, to which the vet replied: "You better hold onto the puppy, Silverstar". That was a huge blow to my confidence because it was a calm horse, and as I was doing an equine placement it seemed a bit more appropriate to be holding a horse and not a puppy.

Also, the only thing I did was draw up some vaccines into a syringe. I was wondering if it was appropriate to ask if I would be able to vaccinate a horse myself, if the owner agreed and it was a calm horse? I've given injections/vaccinated other animals before (dogs & farm animals). Asking to take bloods might be taking it a bit too far, but I'd be a bit happier if I could do something rather than observe now that I'm actually a vet student. I have learnt absolutely nothing today that I didn't know before, and I would just like to make sure the other 4 days of my placement are vaguely useful. Otherwise it's a simple box ticking exercise

It was just my first day, so it may pick up, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Hi guys,

I know there is a few of you on here that perhaps wouldn't mind me asking this.

I've just started a clinical placement (now that Liverpool's system has changed to all clinical placements from the very beginning). I'm doing 1 week equine and today was my first day. I'm not from a horsey background by any means, but I've had experience at stables before and sometimes help with my bf's parent's horses. So I am happy doing handling and being around all but the really nasty horses out there. However, it's been quite a set back for me today. For example, a stud manager asked if I wanted to either hold on to her new puppy or put a head collar on one of her horses, to which the vet replied: "You better hold onto the puppy, Silverstar". That was a huge blow to my confidence because it was a calm horse, and as I was doing an equine placement it seemed a bit more appropriate to be holding a horse and not a puppy.

Also, the only thing I did was draw up some vaccines into a syringe. I was wondering if it was appropriate to ask if I would be able to vaccinate a horse myself, if the owner agreed and it was a calm horse? I've given injections/vaccinated other animals before (dogs & farm animals). Asking to take bloods might be taking it a bit too far, but I'd be a bit happier if I could do something rather than observe now that I'm actually a vet student. I have learnt absolutely nothing today that I didn't know before, and I would just like to make sure the other 4 days of my placement are vaguely useful. Otherwise it's a simple box ticking exercise

It was just my first day, so it may pick up, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
    Not starting clinical placements until Summer, but I fully intend to give them all a list of the things I want to go away learning, and have a discussion with them about what they will and not let me do. If I were you I'd maybe ask the vet in private e.g. in you're in the car if you could have a go, putting it politely . They'll let you do more as they trust you I guess. Bit mean they wouldn't let you put the headcollar on though. Hopefully none of my placements are like this . I'll be most confident around small animals anyway (excluding cats and parrots) but I'm hoping they'd trust me to know.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Not starting clinical placements until Summer, but I fully intend to give them all a list of the things I want to go away learning, and have a discussion with them about what they will and not let me do. If I were you I'd maybe ask the vet in private e.g. in you're in the car if you could have a go, putting it politely . They'll let you do more as they trust you I guess. Bit mean they wouldn't let you put the headcollar on though. Hopefully none of my placements are like this . I'll be most confident around small animals anyway (excluding cats and parrots) but I'm hoping they'd trust me to know.
    OK, thanks. Think I'll have to think about some concrete learning objectives and perhaps have a word with them to see what they can help me with. I know everything needs to be a bit more individual, but does Liverpool actually provide us with any expectations of learning outcomes from CEMS? They've been rather vague as to what were are supposed to be doing
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    OK, thanks. Think I'll have to think about some concrete learning objectives and perhaps have a word with them to see what they can help me with. I know everything needs to be a bit more individual, but does Liverpool actually provide us with any expectations of learning outcomes from CEMS? They've been rather vague as to what were are supposed to be doing
    If you look in our 3rd year book theres a list of things to be competent with for each species . Hope that helps. Its on vocal.

ReputationRep:
    I would DEFINITELY encourage you to ask (politely, of course) if you can vaccinate a quiet horse. I would also encourage you to try and have a discussion early in the week about what you'd like to get out of the placement, and on the placement provider's end what they think is reasonable for you to get out of it. At Edinburgh we get lists of things we should be comfortable doing by the time we graduate. Sounds like you get something similar. I find giving this to vets even BEFORE a placement-like when I first ask/sign up for one-to be helpful.

I am now in my final year, and something to some degree I have seen and definitely been told is to be engaged and ask to do stuff. I am not as good at this I will admit-I am perpetually worried about overstepping bounds. But you are there to LEARN-the worst they can say is no, and if it happens "too often" pull you aside and say so. And I have NEVER had this happen to me-or heard of it happening to my friends. I am not saying go in before clinical years expecting to be doing surgery and be all arrogant-obviously there is a learning curve but politely asking to be more involved should not be a problem. I am assuming here you are capable of being more involved. And even if you're not, or they feel you're not, than perhaps that is something you and the vets should be discussing and working on too. If you being involved is a problem, that practice might need to reassess why they are taking students.

Yes, I agree you tend to be allowed to do more as they get to know you. I have had a few practices say they don't like students coming for just one week for that reason. It is really hard for them to get a feel for you, then get you the opportunities to do more advanced things. Building a relationship with a practice and going back many times over the years helps with this. Again, not something I personally have done as much as I meant to do but I've done all right and had mostly good EMS placements. Also, it is good to keep in mind the extra workload that having students means for a practice. As much as you may try and help out, be an extra pair of hands etc. etc., teaching takes time.

I hope the rest of your week has looked/is looking up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.