Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am coming to the end of an access course in computing, by the end of it I am most likely going to receive distinctions in all my units, bar a couple of English units that i have gotten a pass+merit on. My personal statement i was told was good yet i have been declined by UO Manchester + UO Nottingham and received two offers for foundation years in two other unis, one of them being a foundation in engineering with all passes in the IT module and distinctions in English why the hell would they offer me that and ask for top grades in English and not IT when i applied for computer science?

Non of the unis leave any information as for the reason being declined or offered the foundation year on the decision letters. I have also contacted all 4 unis asking for feedback and information but havent had any replys.

The only offer i have gotten is from a uni that after looking round i'm not so keen on.

so frustrated

ReputationRep:
    This is just a stab in the dark but it says on Manchester's website that they want A2 maths (and Nottingham prefer it) so that might be why, as they tend offer the foundation year to people who don't have the required subjects and maybe they think that your course does not supply the level of maths required.

Also most foundation years and most computer science degrees don't actually require much/any formal qualifications in ICT/computer science so wouldn't need to high a grade in the ICT units and for the foundation year I think that some of the uni's want you to prove a good ability for english so want you to have distinctions in that part of your course

ReputationRep:
    On most undergraduate Computer Science courses they will teach you all you need to know about IT from first principles. So whilst you may cope better due to your prior exposure it doesn't differentiate you. English is important because of the concepts you will have to learn. There is a lot reading to be done, a lot of it turgid academic language.

It may be that there is insufficient mathematical content in your access course to verify that you will be able to cope with the theoretical side of computing. A strong grasp of discrete maths would probably enhance your application. It may be worth looking at the content of the foundation year, you may find there is very little overlap with what you have done previously. But this is what they expect you to know at the start of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safeage)
    and distinctions in English why the hell would they offer me that and ask for top grades in English

havent had any replys.

The only offer i have gotten
    This would be why, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edjunkie)
    On most undergraduate Computer Science courses they will teach you all you need to know about IT from first principles. So whilst you may cope better due to your prior exposure it doesn't differentiate you. English is important because of the concepts you will have to learn. There is a lot reading to be done, a lot of it turgid academic language.

It may be that there is insufficient mathematical content in your access course to verify that you will be able to cope with the theoretical side of computing. A strong grasp of discrete maths would probably enhance your application.
    This!

ReputationRep:
    Are there ANY level 3 modules in maths/further maths on your course? If not, this is most probably the reason.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.