The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE's

After doing a bit more digging to what I'll need for medicine, I've been really worried about my GCSE's, they're not great and I was wondering if I should be worried and what unis I shouldn't even consider because of them. I ended up with 1A* 6.5A's and 2B's. On top of that I also got the equivalent of an A* and A in two BTECs, would uni's gloss over these grades due to them being BTECs?

I imagine at the very least I'll need excellent A levels and a great UKCAT score?

Thanks.

Edit: Whilst they are actually good GCSE's, I understand they will be bad for applying to do medicine. They're obviously good I'm just worried if they're good enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by WG95
After doing a bit more digging to what I'll need for medicine, I've been really worried about my GCSE's, they're not great and I was wondering if I should be worried and what unis I shouldn't even consider because of them. I ended up with 1A* 6.5A's and 2B's. On top of that I also got the equivalent of an A* and A in two BTECs, would uni's gloss over these grades due to them being BTECs?

I imagine at the very least I'll need excellent A levels and a great UKCAT score?

Thanks.

I really recommend you paraphrase what you've written. I know you mean they're not great in context of medicine, but people here are going to misinterpret what you've said or get offended because most people will see them as very good GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I really recommend you paraphrase what you've written. I know you mean they're not great in context of medicine, but people here are going to misinterpret what you've said or get offended because most people will see them as very good GCSEs.

I don't want to offend, I'd just like some advice, but certainly I'll edit it.
Reply 3
I got 4A* 3A 3B at GCSE and on this site they are **** lol
Reply 4
Original post by madfish
I got 4A* 3A 3B at GCSE and on this site they are **** lol

Exactally, that's why I'm worried; most people I see on here have straight A*s
Seeing as I don't do medicine, I can't really tell you if they're good enough or not. They're a decent set of GCSEs but maybe you should consider resitting some of them if possible. I'm sure that you'll be considered by some unis for medicine provided that you do really well at AS. Maybe to compensate, do 5 AS instead of the standard 4, to try to better your application. I know Birmingham uni is really weird about GCSEs for medicine, I heard you need a minimum of 8 A*s, so I'd look into which unis focus more on A levels and apply there instead. Don't lose hope though, just work really hard! I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
If i were you I would wait until you get your AS/A2 results. As you will be applying next year they will be critical in the universities decision to interview you. Also look at what typically each university looks for. Whilst Birmingham may not be a possibilty (they do value GCSE's quite highly), others certainly may be, dependant on your UMS and grades at A level. As I am sure you are aware as well as the UKCAT, for some medical schools there is the BMAT instead, so this is another thing to consider. A very high score in these exams could quite possibly put you back in the game :smile: Good luck!
Reply 7
As long we you get a get grades at AS don't be worried you could get into most universities, dunno about cambridge but most likely Russell group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WG95
1A* 6.5A's and 2B's
:curious:
Reply 9
Original post by WG95

Thanks.

Hi there I didn't get amazing amazing gcse and recently got into Bristol medical after replying because I didn't get in first time round. This required me getting really good alevels in the two year sitting and Bristol don't take ukcat so my score wasn't important but I got an average score. Of course having a high number of A* 's will help considerably in your application but from your grades you still have a chance based on gcses but would you be willing to reapply with a levels if you didn't get in first time round?

You will have to research your medical schools so vigorously and off the top of my head places for you to a avoid would be Oxbridge, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leicester and any other uni that scores A* higher than A if they have a points system e.g. nottingham. Places I would recommend are Liverpool and Bristol especially if ukcat Dosent go to plan but also because Liverpool to my current knowledge score A* and A the same and Bristol because they are 20% academic and 80% personal statement and reference so if you know you have a good reference and ps the. Bristol are a good one but again just do a crap load of research and don't be afraid to phone admissions to find out anything you are unsure of.

But most importantly be realistic with yourself when you are reading the admissions because of course as you know medicine is competitive but having said that if you want something bad enough chances are if you keep knocking the door hopefully you will get in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by MedSeth
If i were you I would wait until you get your AS/A2 results. As you will be applying next year they will be critical in the universities decision to interview you. Also look at what typically each university looks for. Whilst Birmingham may not be a possibilty (they do value GCSE's quite highly), others certainly may be, dependant on your UMS and grades at A level. As I am sure you are aware as well as the UKCAT, for some medical schools there is the BMAT instead, so this is another thing to consider. A very high score in these exams could quite possibly put you back in the game :smile: Good luck!

Thanks a lot, suppose I'll just be working very hard for the rest of this year then, but i expected that to be the case :tongue:

Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
:curious:

Rs short course, counts as half.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Also avoid resitting gcses at all cost many medical school only accept these resits in very extenuating circumstances !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
They're fine! I would recommend just avoiding applying to universities that base their selection process on GCSEs as well as BMAT/UKCAT (such as Oxford and King's College London). Most universities will just look at your UKCAT, predicted grades and AS grades, so as long as you work hard for them, you'll be fine! :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending