Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys,
    I'm having trouble with a problem form my c3 text book. The question is:
    Show that the curve y=(x^3)/(1+x^4)^0.5 has a positive gradient for all values of x except at x=0
    I have differentiated the equation to find dy/dx however i cannot see how this will always be positive.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What's your dy/dx equation?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlemon)
    Hiya guys,
    I'm having trouble with a problem form my c3 text book. The question is:
    Show that the curve y=(x^3)/(1+x^4)^0.5 has a positive gradient for all values of x except at x=0
    I have differentiated the equation to find dy/dx however i cannot see how this will always be positive.
    Thanks
    You should get

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x^2(x^4+3)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}  }

Now, notice that

x^2 > 0

for all non-zero x. So what can you say about x^4

?

ReputationRep:
    originally, (3x^2(1+x^4)^0.5)-(2x^6(x^4+1))^0.5)/(x^4+1), which i simplified in the end to, x^2(3+x^4)/(x^4+1)^3/2 ?? i used the quotient rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    You should get

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x^2(x^4+3)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}  }

Now, notice that

x^2 > 0

for all non-zero x. So what can you say about x^4

?
    yes i acknowledge the numerator to be always +ve, but the denominator, surely it can be -ve too as theres a root involved?

ReputationRep:
    yes i acknowledge the numerator to be always +ve, but the denominator, surely it can be -ve too as theres a root involved?
    Can 1 + x^4 be negative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatRandomGuy)
    Can 1 + x^4 be negative?
    nope, as x^4 is always positive, plus one therefore will be +ve too? however if you put that to the power of (3/2) im failing to realize why that's always +ve, ie, why is x^(3/2) always >0? as isnt that just square root (x^3), which surely is a plus or minus? im really confused here :s

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think this? Do you see a plus-or-minus sign in front of the root?

You only get positive and negative square roots when, for example, you use algebra to undo a squaring.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well, what goes wrong when you try to solve

\dfrac{x^2(3+x^4)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}  } < 0

?

ReputationRep:
    nope, as x^4 is always positive, plus one therefore will be +ve too? however if you put that to the power of (3/2) im failing to realize why that's always +ve, ie, why is x^(3/2) always >0? as isnt that just square root (x^3), which surely is a plus or minus? im really confused here :s
    If 1 + x^4 is always positive then it's cube will always be positive which means that it's square root will also always be positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatRandomGuy)
    If 1 + x^4 is always positive then it's cube will always be positive which means that it's square root will also always be positive.
    ooh im sorry, im not deliberately trying to be dumb, or difficult. But say lets take (1+x^4)^3 to equal x, and we know for a fact now that x>0 , as stated before. Now we try to root this, surely a root of a +ve number, can be positive or negative? say we take x=9, surely root x is +-3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Well, what goes wrong when you try to solve

\dfrac{x^2(3+x^4)}{(1+x^4)^{1.5}  } < 0

?
    ah i see that, thank you, thats effectively proven it, but could you please read my lsat post which i quoted thatrandomguy. but thanks, i accept that

ReputationRep:
    ooh im sorry, im not deliberately trying to be dumb, or difficult. But say lets take (1+x^4)^3 to equal x, and we know for a fact now that x>0 , as stated before. Now we try to root this, surely a root of a +ve number, can be positive or negative? say we take x=9, surely root x is +-3?
    The square root of a number is definded as the positive root. If you raise a number to a power e.g. x^1.5 this can only be 1 number, not 2.

ReputationRep:
    ah i see that, thank you, thats effectively proven it, but could you please read my lsat post which i quoted thatrandomguy. but thanks, i accept that
    I already answered your question: the thing is that because you differentiated the square root sign here is a positive square root sign (take the positive solution only). The fact that two values x=±k satisfy x^2=k^2 is irrelevant here.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think you are getting confused.

If x^2 = 9 then x could equal +-3. However if x = 9 then root x will only be positive 3.

ReputationRep:
    thatrandomguy's post was confusing tbh

The square root of a number is defined as the +ve square root

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    thatrandomguy's post was confusing tbh

The square root of a number is defined as the +ve square root
    Oh i see... wow ive never thought of it that way, sorry for slow reply, i was getting my head round it. So effectively ive defined it to be positive already :P

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your help its much appreciated

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.