Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The name of that country the UK abandoned to fend for itself at a time of need? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What was the name of that island that Britain claimed ill-founded ownership over (like many other islands) and was quite popular with British tourists. Then when a volcano erupted causing extensive damage they disowned the country and said they had nothing to do with it?

Someone told me about it a while ago but am not sure if it is true or not.

ReputationRep:
    Montserrat?

But Britain hasn't disowned it, it's still a British territory and it hasn't been abandoned. It's possible the British government didn't help as much as they could have when the volcano erupted though, but I don't really know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean Montserrat, I'm not sure that you were told is entirely correct. I thought they were doing a large reconstruction project at the moment, and they had a new airport opened like 2 years ago. Considering half the island is unihabitable at the moment because of the volcano (Including the former capital city), is there a great deal that can or could have been done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    What was the name of that island that Britain claimed ill-founded ownership over (like many other islands) and was quite popular with British tourists. Then when a volcano erupted causing extensive damage they disowned the country and said they had nothing to do with it?

Someone told me about it a while ago but am not sure if it is true or not.
    You are obviously unaware that the island government's entire operating budget of about £25 million is funded directly by the UK. Its population is about 5,000 and its per capita GDP is less than about $9,000. I'd say the British are generous to the islanders, based on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You are obviously unaware that the island government's entire operating budget of about £25 million is funded directly by the UK. Its population is about 5,000 and its per capita GDP is less than about $9,000. I'd say the British are generous to the islanders, based on this.
    Of course I'm unaware, I found out the name of this island 5 minutes ago. What was in the OP was info someone had told me. Don't shoot the messenger bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Don't shoot the messenger bro
    I didn't. I gave the messenger useful information.

ReputationRep:
    The islands definitely sounds like Montserrat. In 1995-1997 the soufreire hills volcano erupted, killing 23 people and destroying the entire Southern half of the island

I wouldn't say the British abandoned or disowned it though. Quite the opposite in fact. The UK even let some homeless emigrate to the UK itself. They spent 20 million rebuilding the country, gave every citizen made homelessness 40,000 to rebuild their lives. Rebuilt a new capital, airport, seaport etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.