Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    3 years ago, I left my friends from school / college for uni.
    Lost touch with them really.
    I recently got in touch with them on facebook.
    We used to be on a netball team through school and college.
    Anyway... theyve invited me to run in aid of an old friend of ours in a charity run.
    Truth is, it looks like all my friends still play sports, where as I havent excercised in 3 yrs. Im now overweight, and I smoke. I am concerned about doing this run. The run is 5km, in May. But on the other hand, I am only 20, I should manage 5km.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try running in the park or on a treadmill to see what it's like? Would you have to run the entire 5K?

I wouldn't know much since my exercise is mostly limited to kickboxing, pilates and swimming. I have a tendency to sprain my ankles.

ReputationRep:
    You might get better answers in the Fitness forum

ReputationRep:
    If you're determined, yes, of course you could do it - you'd probably have to start training now, but it's perfectly possible. You could use it as motivation to get fit again if you wanted
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    You might get better answers in the Fitness forum
    This though 5k isn't that far so unless you're racing and hoping to beat them then I think you'll cope with a bit of practise.

ReputationRep:
    Hi hun, maybe this is your chance to get fit. You have one month, you could lose a little weight by then, and the run it self can be a goal for you to reach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis871)
    This though 5k isn't that far so unless you're racing and hoping to beat them then I think you'll cope with a bit of practise.
    Do you have to run the entire time though? I'm like a hazardous runner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fenwickcharl)
    Anyway... theyve invited me to run in aid of an old friend of ours in a charity run.
    Truth is, it looks like all my friends still play sports, where as I havent excercised in 3 yrs. Im now overweight, and I smoke. I am concerned about doing this run. The run is 5km, in May. But on the other hand, I am only 20, I should manage 5km.
    It depends on how much you can run now, but I'd say that it is possible to get to be able to run 5km in a month with hard work.

Also try not to smoke, it really isn't good for your health or your lungs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fenwickcharl)
    5k is not as far as you might think. I would gradually build up slowly until you feel comfortable, start by running for as long as you feel you can. Make sure you have a way to measure the distance you're running so you can make realistic goals for yourself. Running is a really good release if you're stressed and if you get the chance to run on your own it can be a great escape. I'm sure you can do it, just take your time
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Do you have to run the entire time though? I'm like a hazardous runner.
    I guess that would depend on the specific event. Me too, I fell over twice last time I ran . Sticking to sponsored cycle rides and hikes now.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that would depend on the specific event. Me too, I fell over twice last time I ran . Sticking to sponsored cycle rides and hikes now.
    Last time I ran nothing bad happened but the time before that, I ran into a neighbour.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Last time I ran nothing bad happened but the time before that, I ran into a neighbour.
    Blame the neighbour . If you run into something stationary then the sun was in your eyes .

ReputationRep:
    Well, the plan is to do it as a team, so all go the same pace. I think the other girls would go slowly for me, but I think I should run (even be it slowly) the distance.

I'll try to use it as a kick start to health, but its such a lifestyle change for me.

At the moment I can't even run for the bus. I will get some work out clothes this weekend, and start I guess.

I dont think I'll be stopping smoking though unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Couch 2 5k is a nine week program I think. Will be of great help to you in getting you fit. If you can start a week or two ahead then do.

ReputationRep:
    That reminded me of the scene from Friends where Rachel runs into the horse in the park when she goes out jogging! lol

OP, as others have said, its possible to run 5km in May so long as you start training from now. I also imagine that you would have to train 4-5 days a week as there is only just over a month (or 2 months if its end of May). I'm not sure about the pace you would be all running at. However, at an average jogging pace (of around 8km/hr) it may take you around 35-40 minutes I think. So, you may want to ask yourself whether you can get fit to run for 35-40 mins. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Blame the neighbour . If you run into something stationary then the sun was in your eyes .
    LOL! It was night though. And the dude was standing under a streetlight too!

(Original post by superduper9)
    That reminded me of the scene from Friends where Rachel runs into the horse in the park when she goes out jogging! lol

OP, as others have said, its possible to run 5km in May so long as you start training from now. I also imagine that you would have to train 4-5 days a week as there is only just over a month (or 2 months if its end of May). I'm not sure about the pace you would be all running at. However, at an average jogging pace (of around 8km/hr) it may take you around 35-40 minutes I think. So, you may want to ask yourself whether you can get fit to run for 35-40 mins. Best of luck!
    I was watching that episode the other day.

Let us know how the run goes OP! You might inspire me to take up running again!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    LOL! It was night though. And the dude was standing under a streetlight too!

I was watching that episode the other day.

Let us know how the run goes OP! You might inspire me to take up running again!
    For your safety (and your poor neighbours) i'm now not sure op should do the run .

On a serious note good luck op! I've received a pack of advice about fundraising that i'm looking through now so if you'd like any info about that i 'm happy to help out where I can

ReputationRep:
    There isn't much time to prepare before May - but if you start now there's no reason why you can't complete the course.

Start walking with short bursts of running in between. slowly build up.

eat healthily from now, lots of veggies, no rubbish. there's no need to make it more difficult for yourself.

I think it is unlikely you will run the whole 5km (although I'm happy to be proven wrong) but in just over a months you can make a big improvement to your fitness.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    I'll move this to the fitness section

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably need to quit smoking tbh. It depends how many you smoke. A friend at work smokes about 5 a day and he's fine, I smoked 20 a day for just over 2 years and my first run was agonising. Be prepared to cough a LOT, for at least an hour after you go! Also try Couch to 5k as that will get you up to running 30 mins/5k in about 8/9 weeks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.