Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone. I've recently been admitted to the MSc. in International Management Program at the University of Bocconi and will start this fall. I'm pretty sure Bocconi graduates have very good opportunities ahead of them (at least in continental Europe or to some extent the UK). I am wondering though whether this also applies to Non-EU students like me. I am also anticipating summer internships in London next year , either in Consulting or IB. What are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Hi drew19, I'm a non-EU student like you and I am finishing my undergrad at Bocconi. Maybe it was only my experience so far, but I think it will definitely be a difficulty. Nobody wants to say it, but a lot of companies don't want to bother with the visa process and all that when they probably have at least equally qualified students who are UK/EU. I don't want to discourage you and it is definitely possible to get an internship, and I have some friends which eventually got a job at top IB but lately I've mostly seen people get rejected. It may not be because they are non-EU, but a lot of them had good grades and profile, so I think it does play a role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelicopterBen)
    Hi drew19, I'm a non-EU student like you and I am finishing my undergrad at Bocconi. Maybe it was only my experience so far, but I think it will definitely be a difficulty. Nobody wants to say it, but a lot of companies don't want to bother with the visa process and all that when they probably have at least equally qualified students who are UK/EU. I don't want to discourage you and it is definitely possible to get an internship, and I have some friends which eventually got a job at top IB but lately I've mostly seen people get rejected. It may not be because they are non-EU, but a lot of them had good grades and profile, so I think it does play a role.
    Thank you for your response HelicopterBen. I had a feeling that's indeed the case for Non-EU students. Its quite unfortunate though especially when most of those 'top' companies claim that they are ''equal opportunity employers'' . Now Im really determined to brush up my Italian so I can have Milan as back-up or at least participate in CEMS. By the way, do most 'Non-EU' undergraduate students pursue their masters at Bocconi as well?. I guess for most Italians the 3yr bachelor plus 2 yr masters is quite a norm.

ReputationRep:
    That is the reason I was disappointed the most. They all claim to be equal opportunity employers, yet I think they surely discriminate on the basis of visa requirements. But again, it's not impossible, I personally know people who have gotten internships and jobs at top banks, so I guess there are some other factors at play.

If you want to work in Italy, I would say you definitely have to know Italian. Most of the companies, even the international ones require a very good Italian to work there. So if you already know some, that's great. If not, it would be good to start studying. Also, a lot of people believe they will learn it simply by being in Italy. From my experience, this is very rarely the case. Especially since you're studying in English, you have international friends speaking English...it's not easy if you don't put some effort into it.

A lot of students pursue masters at Bocconi after their undergrad. At least from the people I know they do. It's just a lot easier to go into masters if you had good grades as an undergrad, and Bocconi has good programs, so those are the main reasons.

ReputationRep:
    That is the reason I was disappointed the most. They all claim to be equal opportunity employers, yet I think they surely discriminate on the basis of visa requirements. But again, it's not impossible, I personally know people who have gotten internships and jobs at top banks, so I guess there are some other factors at play.
    Sad but true :/

Yes certainly.

How would you rate the career service? Do you find the Jobgate / university endorsed internships particularly useful?, or do most students still scout for jobs on their own?

ReputationRep:
    For the bigger companies (in banking and consulting) it's almost always via their own websites. Jobgate has good opportunities but mostly in Italy. The ones they list as abroad are quite 'unknown', not paid, etc. They have Bocconi&Jobs, a career fair where you can talk with company representatives, but, in my opinion, it's not very useful. They will offer mostly position in Italy, and it would be better to talk with them in Italian.
    On the positive side, if you're interested in investment banking, there's an event for that industry. It's like two days, and all the big banks have presentations, they bring people from London to talk with you, so it's a great opportunity to network.
    As for career service, I personally didn't find it useful. I usually do a good research when I'm interested in something, so whenever I went there, they just told me the general stuff and things I already knew. It depends how informed you are, if you have no idea about recruiting they might help you, but I didn't get any special advice. They do organize nice programs like In-company training (usually 2-3 days visiting 2 companies) which is a good experience.

ReputationRep:
    For the bigger companies (in banking and consulting) it's almost always via their own websites. Jobgate has good opportunities but mostly in Italy. The ones they list as abroad are quite 'unknown', not paid, etc. They have Bocconi&Jobs, a career fair where you can talk with company representatives, but, in my opinion, it's not very useful. They will offer mostly position in Italy, and it would be better to talk with them in Italian.
    On the positive side, if you're interested in investment banking, there's an event for that industry. It's like two days, and all the big banks have presentations, they bring people from London to talk with you, so it's a great opportunity to network.
    As for career service, I personally didn't find it useful. I usually do a good research when I'm interested in something, so whenever I went there, they just told me the general stuff and things I already knew. It depends how informed you are, if you have no idea about recruiting they might help you, but I didn't get any special advice. They do organize nice programs like In-company training (usually 2-3 days visiting 2 companies) which is a good experience.
    Thank you for your kind response. Those information were quite useful. Do any of those people you know found internships (or employment) elsewhere, say major cities in Europe like Frankfurt or Paris, or are opportunities generally confined to Italy or the UK? Also, any comments on doing exchanges? I heard that near perfect GPA's are almost a requirement for exchange to American schools (or the best ones in Europe), and that competition is really cut-throat.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, I'm glad to help. The people I know got their internships or jobs in London, but I think they didn't really apply to other countries, mostly because of the language requirements. The exchange program is really excellent at Bocconi, they have so much slots and good partner schools. I did my exchange at top business school in the US, and it's really a good experience. The selection for the program is based only on GPA, so you should have a very good score if you want to go to better schools. But I think it's worth it, I put a lot of effort to achieve a good GPA precisely to go on exchange and I'm very satisfied with the experience.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, I'm glad to help. The people I know got their internships or jobs in London, but I think they didn't really apply to other countries, mostly because of the language requirements. The exchange program is really excellent at Bocconi, they have so much slots and good partner schools. I did my exchange at top business school in the US, and it's really a good experience. The selection for the program is based only on GPA, so you should have a very good score if you want to go to better schools. But I think it's worth it, I put a lot of effort to achieve a good GPA precisely to go on exchange and I'm very satisfied with the experience.
    You were the right person to ask regarding the exchange then. Good job!. That experience will surely shine on your CV. Now Im really motivated to do the exchange (or CEMS), but Im sure it'll be extra tough this time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's a great incentive to study as well, knowing that you can go on a good exchange or CEMS. Also, since you will be in a MSc program, only first semester grades and credits earned are taken into account, so you only have to do those very well, you can relax later.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, It would be very much worth it. Not quite sure how credits work though, at least in the Italian system of education. Also for masters, the undergraduate GPA plays a quite important part at around 30%.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can get a maximum of 111 for the Italian bachelor degree, but I assume they somehow convert your final grade if you're not from Bocconi.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can get a maximum of 111 for the Italian bachelor degree, but I assume they somehow convert your final grade if you're not from Bocconi.
    Thanks that's quite insighful! What about a 100/110 ? Is it really that hard to achieve? at least in Italian settings? Just an idea, cause that's the minimum undergraduate requirement for CEMS.

ReputationRep:
    For a BSc degree? I just looked at the requirements, that's the minimum grade of your undergrad. At Bocconi, I wouldn't say that's too difficult, but it is above average I believe. You would need a GPA of around 27/30 to graduate with 100, and that's a good average.

ReputationRep:
    Ya. Perhaps, I should hand them my undergraduate marks and have them convert the marks. Anyway, thanks! that should give me an idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.