Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Study Leave Mandatory? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I go to a secondary school in London, Yr 11.

Today we were told that we will not, in any small way, have study leave - despite it being alluded to for months.

I was just wondering, are schools allowed to NOT give their students in Year 11 study leave? I assumed it was country-wide, in some form.

Thanks guys,

Kevin.

ReputationRep:
    Totally down to your schools decision. They wouldnt do it if it wasn't aloud would they. Nothing wrong with taking a day or two off before exam though to revise!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not mandatory, no. Although it is unusual not to give any.

ReputationRep:
    No it is not :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phazonoverload)
    Hey,

Today we were told that we will not, in any small way, have study leave - despite it being alluded to for months.

I was just wondering, are schools allowed to NOT give their students in Year 11 study leave? I assumed it was country-wide, in some form.

Thanks guys,

Kevin.
    Mate, your teachers are conning you. You will most probably have study leave. They just don't want you to make plans to go to Thorpe Park or something during your study leave. Don't stress yourself, mate!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the school. My school is currently deciding whether to give us study leave or just make us come into the classes we have exams in. Sucks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey,

Thanks guys,

Kevin.
    Study leave isnt mandatory, but a lot of schools do it. It entirely depends on your school.

ReputationRep:
    Our school isn't giving it -.- they said 'schools do better if there no study leave' I challenged that, and I basically got put the answer in a roundabout way lots of students on C/D board line can't revise very well and so when they get C they got a D, but I said it works better for C/D students but not for the B/A+ students who want time to do past papers etc -
    So it's schools benefit but maybe not yours as an individual

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks guys,

Kevin.
    Nope, in my city, mine was pretty much the only school that still gave study leave when we sat our GCSEs. Depends on what kind of school you go to I suppose :P

ReputationRep:
    Come on, you have to admit being at school is better revision than home. At home there's more distractions...Lie ins, TV, food breaks and pure lazyness. At least at school you have to be up early and you are made to do the work/revision. Also, you still get home at a reasonable time to do a few hours of solid revision which is enough. People act like they will be up at the same time as they would for school and revise all day but it never happens because theres nothing to make you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I was doing my GCSEs (4 years ago), my school was the only school in the city which still gave its year 11s Study Leave; all the other schools made their pupils come in as normal until exams were over.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    There is absolutely no obligation for schools to offer study leave. I know several schools that do not allow study leave for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieJH)
    Our school isn't giving it -.- they said 'schools do better if there no study leave' I challenged that, and I basically got put the answer in a roundabout way lots of students on C/D board line can't revise very well and so when they get C they got a D, but I said it works better for C/D students but not for the B/A+ students who want time to do past papers etc -
    So it's schools benefit but maybe not yours as an individual

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah schools are far to concerned about statistics these days, and focus on those getting lower grades... absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's great in fact, except there are often students who don't want to help themselves, and just go round smoking pot all day. Schools need to focus on students who are willing to work, and it tends to be the more motivated students who benefit from study leave as they will do work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clai)
    Yeah schools are far to concerned about statistics these days, and helping the struggling students... absolutely nothing wrong with that, except half of the failing students (in my school!) just smoke pot all day. So much focus on the C/D students that no one notices potential A/A* students getting B's.
    If your off school for study leave it doesnt mean A/A* students could sink and get Bs, they will equally be able get the high grades whilst revising/working at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I was in year 11 two years ago we weren't allowed study leave, and to be honest I'm pretty glad it was like that. I know that if I had study leave a large proportion of my day would have been spent using distractions such as the laptop, TV, videogames etc. However, because we weren't allowed study leave we were forced to go into school and revise, which was good because we had the teachers' expertise on hand and absolutely no distractions for us.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we were given study leave in year 11. We were maybe given 1 week before the first exam I think but that was it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks guys,

Kevin.
    I know how you feel my school don't give study leave to any one, not for GCSEs, AS or A-levels! So frickin annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    When I was in year 11 two years ago we weren't allowed study leave, and to be honest I'm pretty glad it was like that. I know that if I had study leave a large proportion of my day would have been spent using distractions such as the laptop, TV, videogames etc. However, because we weren't allowed study leave we were forced to go into school and revise, which was good because we had the teachers' expertise on hand and absolutely no distractions for us.
    I SECOND THIS. I had study leave and wish I didnt because I woild of got more done at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well one school local to e doesn't get study leave till late june which really means they dont get any

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't have study leave. It is unfair though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.