Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just wondering what the significance of the 20% cw is?

Like if I got a C overall in the exams would it bump me up to a B?

How important is it? I got 40/40 in the coursework and don't know if it's significant or not.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing GCSE or A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Are you doing GCSE or A-Level?
    A level Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)
    A level Physics
    At the end of the year you would need to have specific Ums points to get an A , B or whatever
    Since I don't know waht exam board you do I'd suggest you check that out yourself by going on their website.

You would also be able to find how many ums points are 40 marks worth on the website.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by librastar28)
    At the end of the year you would need to have specific Ums points to get an A , B or whatever
    Since I don't know waht exam board you do I'd suggest you check that out yourself by going on their website.

You would also be able to find how many ums points are 40 marks worth on the website.

Hope this helps

Oh I get it, so then this 20% pumps up my UMS like 80? And say an A is 300, I would need to score that much for an overall A?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I get it, so then this 20% pumps up my UMS like 80? And say an A is 300, I would need to score that much for an overall A?
    Yes, coursework definitely helps to imporove your grade. In this case you would need 220 ums which might be equivalent to 100 marks.
    So in your exams you need to get atleast 100 to get that A... if this makes sense

ReputationRep:
    coursework is bull

ReputationRep:
    A level Physics
    For each exam, you are given a ums mark out of 120, and for the isa you get a ums mark out of 60.

So the total for each year is 300, and overall you need 80% for an A, 70% for a B...

It doesn't matter about the individual grade for each exam, it's just the total ums marks you get that matters in the end.

ReputationRep:

240-60 = 180

So you'd need an average of

90/120 (B) in your exams to get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    coursework is not bull for starters.

In my AS exams, i got an A in one paper and a B in another paper. this would have made my final grade a B.
    However because i got As in both the pieces of coursework, i got an A grade in the end.

Hence, i think coursework is important for saving yourself if you miss a grade by a few marks in a exam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.