Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I just came across this website today.

Your DNA is infinitely valuable.
    Preserve it. Register your will for it.

Dedicated to the Bio-Ethical needs of long term DNA preservation.

"Tiny Little Soul Makers"

What is DNA?
    DNA is the biochemical code in the nucleus of each of your cells. DNA stores your hereditary information within each cell of your body. Your biology was created under the direction of your DNA. It is unique to you. Only you have your DNA, unless you are a twin or from a multiple birth.

When was DNA discovered and by whom?
    In 1953, in a pub in England, two young scientists announced that they had found 'the secret of life'. This was not as unbelievable as it must have seemed. The two young scientists, James Watson and Francis Crick, had discovered the structure of DNA. For this discovery, they, along with Maurice Wilkins, were awarded the 1962 Nobel Prize in Physiology & Medicine.

How long will DNA last?
    Dr. Watson indicates how stable the molecular structure of DNA is, by saying that in preserved conditions, DNA might survive 50,000 years.

Why preserve DNA?
    There are basically two reasons to preserve your DNA. The first is to have a good sample of DNA for the purpose of identification. This will give families reliable, hard legal evidence about inheritance and linage should there ever be a dispute. This is short term preservation. Long term DNA preservation is for the purpose of cultivating and harvesting DNA to the advantage of the original owner.

* Short term preservation:

Increasingly, this service is offered at funeral homes. It is important to note that short term preservation of DNA is not for the purposes of cloning, but for positive identification.
    * Long term preservation:

Long term DNA preservation is for the purpose of cultivation and harvesting an individual's unique bio-property, their DNA. Currently, long term preservation is only offered by Echo Genetics, a DNA preservation and publishing firm.

http://www.dnapreservation.org/

I found this quite interesting that people are willing to share their DNA. We are all different, we think differently and ofcourse we act differently. So, its not surprising that some people might think of this as a way to store their "valuable Dna" which when time comes could be used to clone them

But for some reason I don't think I would prefer this. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth is it of any value to me to preserve my DNA? For any criminal investigation I can provide it myself as and when, and after death I really don't care if my DNA is preserved because I'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Why on earth is it of any value to me to preserve my DNA? For any criminal investigation I can provide it myself as and when, and after death I really don't care if my DNA is preserved because I'm dead.
    So, you wouldn't mind yourself being cloned?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to put up with me more than once to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by librastar28)
    After I'm dead no. I wouldn't actively try to be cloned either mind you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    After I'm dead no. I wouldn't actively try to be cloned either mind you.
    Okay... fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to put up with me more than once to be honest.
    Can I ask, why?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to share my dna!

Clone me if you must. I'd love me to live on. Only I would be a bit worried about me, as I probably would have no family...so I'd be a bit lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    I'd love to share my dna!

Clone me if you must. I'd love me to live on. Only I would be a bit worried about me, as I probably would have no family...so I'd be a bit lonely.
    But the cloned person won't be you. Your clone may share your DNA but s/he would be different...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    But the cloned person won't be you. Your clone may share your DNA but s/he would be different...:confused:
    Oh...I was thinking about like full on science fiction cloning, same phenotype, sexytype, funnytype everything

In that sense, I don't really care.

Cool, still as a piece of me still lives on.

ReputationRep:
    Oh...I was thinking about like full on science fiction cloning, same phenotype, sexytype, funnytype everything

In that sense, I don't really care.

Cool, still as a piece of me still lives on.
    Really? I mean if you are comfortable with that ....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Why don't you sign up then?

ReputationRep:
    Really? I mean if you are comfortable with that ....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Why don't you sign up then?
    Okay, maybe I will:2euk48l:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, maybe I will:2euk48l:
    http://www.dnapreservation.org/kit.htm

ReputationRep:
    Site looks a bit dodgy still, I mean if Calibri wasn't used as the main font, and the whole look was a bit more clinical, I might feel more inclined to go for it.

I'll have a think about it.

You thinking of going for it?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to be cloned.

ReputationRep:
    Site looks a bit dodgy still, I mean if Calibri wasn't used as the main font, and the whole look was a bit more clinical, I might feel more inclined to go for it.

I'll have a think about it.

You thinking of going for it?
    I am sorry but I don't want the coming generations to play around with my "Infinitely valuable" Dna... I mean seriously how can I let that happen

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry but I don't want the coming generations to play around with my "Infinitely valuable" Dna... I mean seriously how can I let that happen
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I wouldn't want to be cloned.
    Neither do I.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    What were you thinking when you made your account on Tsr? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    iT BELONGS TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it belongs to me

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.