Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    please do help if you know the answer but this is quite a complicated story so prepare yourself:

I applied to five unis (inc. university "a") and all five said no, although I had an interview at "a" they rejected me two days later.
    because I had 5 rejections I applied through UCAS extra as soon as I could not to waste time

so, a few days ago I get an email from "a" giving me an offer, and they said they had no idea why I got rejected in the first place, however the offer still had not come up on ucas.

I rang UCAS today and explained my situation and they said because I applied trough extra already, "a" could no longer change my application to successful on UCAS track (fair enough). so she said to me that the only option is to contact "a" directly and there will be two options:

1) they can open the course up again briefly (e.g. for 24 hours) so I can reapply
    2) I can apply for another course at the uni and they can switch it to my course at a later date
    (she also said its their choice and they technically still have the right to decline my application)

I have tried to contact "A" today but the admissions office was closed and I'm worried they'll be closed tomorrow and Monday because of Easter and i would like to get it sorted ASAP.

so my question is - firstly, if they now decide to decline my offer can I make a formal complaint because they have messed me around?
    secondly, even if they do make me an offer can I complain without affecting my application (e.g. anonymously)

thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    note: before my interview at said uni, they initially sent me a rejection, and then offered me an interview apologising for the mistake. so they have messed me about in every stage of my application
    I am fine with the first mistake (above) but now they've done it twice i think it may be worth notifying the university

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you can't complain to either UCAS or to universities as in most cases they simply are not interested in listening to complaints.

It's their choice whether they accepted you or not. It doesn't matter if they sent you an email saying they have offered you a place and then later retract that because as far as UCAS is concerned, the university is free to make that decision and UCAS will side with the universities every time. They certainly will not help you out in that case.

There is no complaints procedure for applicants. The application process is entirely biased in the universities favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    Nope, you can't complain to either UCAS or to universities as in most cases they simply are not interested in listening to complaints.

It's their choice whether they accepted you or not. It doesn't matter if they sent you an email saying they have offered you a place and then later retract that because as far as UCAS is concerned, the university is free to make that decision and UCAS will side with the universities every time. They certainly will not help you out in that case.

There is no complaints procedure for applicants. The application process is entirely biased in the universities favour.
    great! so because they made a mistake in the first place (sending me a rejection) I might not get into uni and I can't even do anything about it that's life for ya
    thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will just have to accept that sometimes mistakes happen.

Making 'An Enormous Fuss' about it wont help your application and will just waste everybody's time, including yours.

Use the window they have given you to calmly sort this out. Or, simply walk away and find another University place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm already in the process of sorting it, and hopefully the uni are nice to me and still give me the place!
    the only reason I'm annoyed so much is my course is incredibly difficult to get into and a lot of people have to apply 4 years in a row, so I was very lucky to get a place in my first year of applying. if I could just apply to another uni I would
    thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    maybe instead of complaining about ucas and universities you can revise and improve your grades?

donno just an idea mate

woo let the negs roll in

ReputationRep:
    Because you had problems with University 'A' when you applied, you should have double checked that the rejection was correct.

I don't think making a fuss is going to work.

As the UCAS adviser said, call the university and speak to them. See if they'll open Extra for a bit so you can apply and see if they'll accept you that way. Nothing else you can do tbh.

ReputationRep:
    wish I would've checked earlier now yeah guess ill just hope for the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    How do you think you'll be able to make an anonymous complaint?

From the circumstances they would be able to identify you anyway

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    How do you think you'll be able to make an anonymous complaint?

From the circumstances they would be able to identify you anyway

Sent from my GT-S5363
    true! it's not exactly a common problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.