york and UEA Watch

This discussion is closed.
johncleaner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I haven't been using this forum long, but most of the questions I've asked tend to harp on about 'UEA or York for Maths'. I eventually settled on UEA, then for no reason at all thought 'actually York'. Now I'm leaning much more towards York, but I have no idea why.

I know everybodies opinions are biased, but it would be good to hear them anyway. My plans after uni is to hopefully carry on doing research, get a job for the British Antarctica Survey or something like that. Where would you go?
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by johncleaner)
I haven't been using this forum long, but most of the questions I've asked tend to harp on about 'UEA or York for Maths'. I eventually settled on UEA, then for no reason at all thought 'actually York'. Now I'm leaning much more towards York, but I have no idea why.

I know everybodies opinions are biased, but it would be good to hear them anyway. My plans after uni is to hopefully carry on doing research, get a job for the British Antarctica Survey or something like that. Where would you go?
York.
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't really know much about York, but UEA is cool.

(lol, I know that wouldn't have helped you at all)
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
UEA kicks ass!!!
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
UEA kicks ass!!!
I'd chose UEA over York anyday (even though I am bias, being at UEA and all). UEA is far livelier than York...what UEA lacks aesthetically it makes up for in atmosphere!!!
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I'd chose UEA over York anyday (even though I am bias, being at UEA and all). UEA is far livelier than York...what UEA lacks aesthetically it makes up for in atmosphere!!!
I'd agree with that. If you like pretty with no substance then York is for you. If however you like nice people, a REALLY good atmosphere on campus and generally a lovely place to be then its UEA all the way in my opinion.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you're interested in league table positions, I'd say York. If not, I have no idea because I've never been to either. I do know a couple of people at UEA who seem to like it though.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

In terms of teaching quality, I believe that they are both on par with each other. However, many of the elite firms and some old tradionalists may view York as somwhat more superior in terms of reputation. They are both good universities, and no matter which of them you choose, note that a degree from either one of them, would put you in good standing for your future prospects.
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What about law? Is UEA as good in terms of reputation?
johncleaner
Rep:
?
argh - As a spare of the moment thing last night I put 'York' down as my first choice and now after reading all of your comments am beginning to regret this!

Oh well, I suppose I'm going to have a good time whichever uni I go to. Thanks for your replies
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
argh - As a spare of the moment thing last night I put 'York' down as my first choice and now after reading all of your comments am beginning to regret this!

Oh well, I suppose I'm going to have a good time whichever uni I go to. Thanks for your replies
Hey don't worry, think of its reputation! I'm glad to meet a fellow york-person actually as I think I'm putting it down as my firm. What subject?
johncleaner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adhsur)
Hey don't worry, think of its reputation! I'm glad to meet a fellow york-person actually as I think I'm putting it down as my firm. What subject?
Hi there! I tried to reply to your private message (my very first private message - joy!) but you've reached your storage limit apparently. I'm applying for 'Maths' (G100). What about you?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If you like pretty with no substance then York is for you.
What is the source of your information on York?
Emma18
Report 14 years ago
Ive applied to york to do molecular cell biology!! Im sure UEA is great, but Im afraid theres no comparison for me!! I loved york and the course when i went!, whereas i didnt like UEA! id say, go York!!
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
What is the source of your information on York?
I'm sure he was thinking about applying to York, if i remember correctly, but decided to apply here instead.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have an unconditional offer to study BioMedical Science at UEA - yay!
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ahhhh more york people
I've already accepted york as my firm (prefered the environment to all the others I'd visited) for Computer Science. I hope to see you all there!
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I'm sure he was thinking about applying to York, if i remember correctly, but decided to apply here instead.
Got it in one!!! There is no real source behind it, I just found that when I went there I didn't like it at all. I thought there wouldn't be enough to keep me busy during my 4 years. I suppose I thought it was kinda soul-less or something, I can't really say what I disliked just that I knew it wasn't for me. I'm sure many people whould disagree with me but its just what I felt when I visited...

UEA on the otherhand I really liked, the people were all really friendly and everyone made me feel comfortable when I visited. The concrete is a turn-off but I couldn't fault the atmosphere!!!
Aylia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've accepted York too - I know a few people there and they love it. Thats enough for me!
johncleaner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soulfish)
ahhhh more york people
I've already accepted york as my firm (prefered the environment to all the others I'd visited) for Computer Science. I hope to see you all there!
wahoo - a fellow southener venturing north! Should I be concerned that I don't partiulcarly like Yorkshire puddings?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Master Taster Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 15 Feb '19
  • University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 30 Jun '19

Are you chained to your phone?