Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been panicking a lot recently about my final A2 exams in the summer. I really want to go to my first choice uni (Leeds) and they want ABB. I'm fairly confident I can get two Bs in Biology and Geography. However the trouble comes with Business. I recently got an E in my Business A2 exam in January. I was hoping to get an A or A* in it. So it was a huge let down. I'm retaking it, but I just feel so low. I feel like i'm never going to get an A, and i'm not going to go to uni. Has anyone been in this position and it turned out okay even if they didn't do well enough to get into uni? Can anyone suggest any positive idea's about what to do if I don't get into uni? My family have such massive expectations! and i'm so worried about letting them all down! I just feel like i'm going to be a massive failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikkiswain)
    I've been panicking a lot recently about my final A2 exams in the summer. I really want to go to my first choice uni (Leeds) and they want ABB. I'm fairly confident I can get two Bs in Biology and Geography. However the trouble comes with Business. I recently got an E in my Business A2 exam in January. I was hoping to get an A or A* in it. So it was a huge let down. I'm retaking it, but I just feel so low. I feel like i'm never going to get an A, and i'm not going to go to uni. Has anyone been in this position and it turned out okay even if they didn't do well enough to get into uni? Can anyone suggest any positive idea's about what to do if I don't get into uni? My family have such massive expectations! and i'm so worried about letting them all down! I just feel like i'm going to be a massive failure.
    'I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.' Michael Jordan

'Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.' Henry Ford.

Did you get feedback on the exam? ask your tutor for feedback and speak to people who achieved better grades to find out what they did. Failure is a learning opportunity. Thomas Edison did approximately 10,000 experiments before he perfected the lightbulb and people asked him was it a waste of time that he had to do all those experiments and he replied that it wasn't because he learnt 10,000 ways of how not to make a lightbulb.

How bad do you want it? it seems you want it pretty bad as you want to go to Leeds and you don't want to let your family down. Eat, live, breathe and sleep business. My mate is training to be a train driver and his bedroom wall is literally covered in revision notes and diagrams. Do practice exam papers, do every one you can get your hands on. Read all the books on the subject and then re-read them. Buddy up with students who get good grades and learn from them. If it means waking up one hour earlier every day that's an extra 7 hours per week of studying. (It is important to get enough sleep so don't deprive yourself of sleep!) You might have to make some sacrafices i.e. don't watch as much television or go out as much but if that's how bad you want to achieve your goal, nothing will stop you.

As Randy Pausch said, the brick walls are not there to keep you out. The brick walls are there to show you how bad you really want something, they're there to keep the 'other' people out, the people who don't want it bad enough. Practice the 7 Ps and you can't go far wrong: prior preparation and practice prevents piss poor performance. Good luck! 'men (women) of action are favoured by the goddess of luck.' 'God favours those who strive, he does not favour those who do not strive.'

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster has said revise - intelligently. There's no point simply sitting there cramming in facts, so you need to make sure you understand absolutely everything in the course well enough to be able to explain it. Make spider diagrams, flow chart type things, what ever helps you.

Analyse your exam paper from January and get your teacher to help you if you can. Where did you go wrong? Why? What are the examiners looking for to give you top marks? Then do some more past papers, and practice really hard.

However: this is not about simply spending time on it, it's about doing what you actually need to, so it's definitely a case of quality over quantity. Make sure you get enough sleep, take some exercise, and are eating well. Even if this takes a few minutes away from revision, it'll be worth it, because the study you do do will be far more efficient.

Good luck! Hope it all works out in the end :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.