Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am 22 years old and a single mother to a 2 year old. I live in Northampton and want to study the ODP course at Birmingham city uni. I am completely unsure of what i need to do in order to do the course as I live so far and cannot go in student accommodation with a child?? Can anyone tell me what my options are in regards to either moving or travelling daily to Birmingham which is a 45 minute train journey. I am entitled to housing benefit as a student as I am currently studying at college. I really have my hopes up on doing the course and it is the closest uni to me that does this course. Someone please help!

ReputationRep:
    I am at BCU and there are a few people on my course (including me) that travel for over an hour each way to get there. Admittedly none of us have young children though.

Is the ODP course NHS funded? If it is you are also entitled to some of your child care fees to be paid to by them (pretty sure it's 80%).

Some unis have separate accommodation for families, have you looked into whether BCU has any available? It is usually in short supply however.

Are you currently living with any other family members? Or have some close by for support? If you do I would definitely recommend the commuting route, you'll need all the support you can get!

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Leicester uni do the ODP course hun, and you can choose Northampton General Hospital as your placement hospital. I went to the open day there last year, but in the end applied to Coventry and have a place this sept ODP. Good luck sweet x

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mother and applying to a UNi 80 miles away, I've applied as an independent student as I have my own house bills etc, so have applied for several grants such as the parent learning grant, I've included evidence of all bills I pay to get the higher maintenance grant...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for getting back to me people. I have applied for leicester uni and am awaiting an invitation to interview so fingers crossed! Would it be a problem that I do have a child or can they not use this against you? I think i did pretty well on my application and showed plenty of enthusiasm. I have researched the course well and the role of an odp so think I will do well at interview even though i am nervous! I have studied full time at college this past year on an intense course that had 2 levels crammed into the one year and ive coped well with it and the fact that ive got a young child has never affected this in any way. Julez do you know anything about the interview process for leicester as i have read somewhere that you have to take part in some kind of scenarios and tests?
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Good luck with your application to Leicester..... I was told their selection process involves six mini interviews....all of which involved some sort of task (one of which was seeing a laryngoscope being taken apart and you had to put it back together, although it doesnt matter if you didnt put it together the right way...they just want to see you think about it calmly and not get flustered). It shouldnt make a difference to them if you have children, so dont worry about that as i'm sure there is support for that. Let me know how it goes xx

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.