Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am very confused at the moment about what i am doing with my life. I'm a year 13 student who applied to study psychology at Aston, Loughborough, East Anglia, Keele and kingston and I have received offer from them all. However I'm not too keen on studying psychology any more. I know its a little late but I really don't want to do it.
    Currently my As level grades are:
    Biology: B (2 marks off an A)
    Chemistry: B (1 mark off an A)
    Psychology: C
    I've been looking at different biology and chemistry related courses, and have come up with these options:
    Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    Chemistry with analytical science
    Biological Sciences
    Biological chemistry
    Does anyone have any information on these course? What they involve and what careers they can lead to?
    I am highly confused at the moment and would really appreciate any help at all.
    Sorry for the ramble
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What are you planning to do? Are you going to decline those offers and take a gap year? I think that may be a good idea if you are completely turned off from psychology and you would have something else worthwhile to do for a year (if you get AAC, you might want to try and redo psychology and get a B or A) . Then you would be able to apply for uni the year after with your a-levels all ready awarded, making it easier to pick universities and meaning that you would get unconditional offers.

I do a biology degree (more concerned with evolution and ecology), but I don't really know to much about the career possibilities, as I want to go into research (a simple pathway, but difficult). I think that a chemistry degree or a biology degree that focuses on biochemistry would lead to a decent range of careers depending on the exact degree; I'm thinking of things such as:

research (academic or industry or health sector)
    work in energy industry (nuclear, oil, etc)
    analysing and testing medicines
    forensics
    communicating science to the public, businesses, or doctors (latest medical research)
    toxicology: consultant for businesses, or for inspection agencies
    product safety and quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tpx)
    Hi,

What are you planning to do? Are you going to decline those offers and take a gap year? I think that may be a good idea if you are completely turned off from psychology and you would have something else worthwhile to do for a year (if you get AAC, you might want to try and redo psychology and get a B or A) . Then you would be able to apply for uni the year after with your a-levels all ready awarded, making it easier to pick universities and meaning that you would get unconditional offers.

I do a biology degree (more concerned with evolution and ecology), but I don't really know to much about the career possibilities, as I want to go into research (a simple pathway, but difficult). I think that a chemistry degree or a biology degree that focuses on biochemistry would lead to a decent range of careers depending on the exact degree; I'm thinking of things such as:

research (academic or industry or health sector)
    work in energy industry (nuclear, oil, etc)
    analysing and testing medicines
    forensics
    communicating science to the public, businesses, or doctors (latest medical research)
    toxicology: consultant for businesses, or for inspection agencies
    product safety and quality
    I was considering taking a gap year and bettering my grades, but I thought if I can get to uni this year it would be great.
    With regards to careers, would it be better to do a core chemistry degree or something more along the lines of biochem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamida.x)
    I was considering taking a gap year and bettering my grades, but I thought if I can get to uni this year it would be great.
    With regards to careers, would it be better to do a core chemistry degree or something more along the lines of biochem?
    I'm don't really know which one is better to take in terms of careers, I know more about biology so I could think of more for that.

Both are great degrees though careers-wise, so I think that you might as well pick the one that you find the most interesting. There are also the engineering equivalents, chemical engineering and bio engineering, which are obviously more applied and more orientated towards careers in industry. But pick what you find most interesting.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.