Share with me your favourite political quotes! Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite is

"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" by Stalin

ReputationRep:
    'No, no, no!'
    Mrs. Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    "What are the common wages of labour, depends everywhere upon the contract usually made between those two parties, whose interests are by no means the same." - Adam Smith, Book 1, Chapter 8, “Of Wages and Labour”

"The free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" - Karl Marx, Das Kommunistische Manifest

"... and we not only saved the world" - Gordon Brown upon legitimizing the recapitalization of the banking sector

ReputationRep:
    "Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "
    George Orwell.

ReputationRep:
    The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind.

K. Marx

We have always lived in slums and holes in the wall. We will know how to accommodate ourselves for a while. For you must not forget that we can also build. It is we who built these palaces and cities, here in Spain and America and everywhere. We, the workers. We can build others to take their place. And better ones. We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts. That world is growing in this minute.

B. Durutti

Let every dirty, lousy tramp arm himself with a revolver or knife on the steps of the palace of the rich and stab or shoot their owners as they come out. Let us kill them without mercy, and let it be a war of extermination and without pity

L. Parsons

ReputationRep:
    "Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end" - Lord Acton

ReputationRep:
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

ReputationRep:
    "Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river"

Nikita Khrushchev

ReputationRep:
    "I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don't think she knows just how worried some of us were, When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no air– and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she's safe and sound." :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    “I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'”

bill hicks

ReputationRep:
    "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking our potential"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"
    "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference"
    "If you're going through hell, keep going"

- Winston Churchill, a man of wise words!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    'No, no, no!'
    Mrs. Thatcher.
    I have a genuine query. Why do you always call her Mrs Thatcher? Is it a mark of respect? Do you know her and address her as such? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to post this! I love Churchill!! Fave PM complete legend I have his quotes all over my room.

(Original post by Clews)
    "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking our potential"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British199)
    I was going to post this! I love Churchill!! Fave PM complete legend I have his quotes all over my room.
    His quotes make me go, screw it, we'll try again - we need a motivator like Churchill in todays society!

ReputationRep:
    "A good cat is not a red cat or a white cat. A good cat is a cat that catches mice."-Deng Xiaoping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    I have a genuine query. Why do you always call her Mrs Thatcher? Is it a mark of respect? Do you know her and address her as such? Just curious.
    I suppose it is more out of habit. Don't think I have ever called her by her first name.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it is more out of habit. Don't think I have ever called her by her first name.
    I prefer "Thatcher" accompanied by a wretch of disgust.

ReputationRep:
    "You did not bear the shame, you resisted, sacrificing your life for freedom, justice and honour."
    Not quite a quote, it's a para-translation of the inscription on the German Resistance Memorial.

I like it because it reminds me to judge for myself what I believe to be right and not always go with the pack-mentality of what is moral.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clews)

You forgot
    "I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes"
    and
    ""I do not admit that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race, has come in and taken their place."
    Winston Churchill, the man who advocated genocide and white supremacy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.