Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: title should say INSURING not firming.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Basically, I have offers from Bristol (AAB with AA in C3/C4), Nottingham (AAA) and York (AAB) for economics.
    In an ideal world I'd firm Bristol and make Nottingham my insurance, but that would mean a risky "insurance" of AAA. I have no doubts that I'll get at least AAB, it's just the 80 in C3 and C4 that scares me and I don't know how lenient they'll be, say if I get A*AA (which is what I'm predicted/think I'll get) but then get 78 in C4 or something...
    Having checked UCAS Extra, it appears York econ are still accepting offers and I read they were in clearing last year.
    So my question is, could I take a risk and put bristol and nottingham as firm and insurance, and if worst comes to worst have a decent chance of getting york in clearing?
    Am I being stupid/missing something?!
    Truth is I'm overwhelmed to hold offers from Bristol and Notts, and as good as York is I feel I want to go for the former two. Help please!

ReputationRep:
    any suggestions/opinions/views?

ReputationRep:
    What do you need to get to get an A overall in maths? In other words, what are the chances of it slipping to a grade B? If the answer is high, then yes it's risky as you'll miss your insurance. If the answer is low, then it's not too risky because you'll still have Nottingham to fall back on.

Personally, I don't see the point in risking it as there is no difference between those universities in terms of prestige. I mean, unless you really prefer Nottingham to York then why bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    What do you need to get to get an A overall in maths? In other words, what are the chances of it slipping to a grade B? If the answer is high, then yes it's risky as you'll miss your insurance. If the answer is low, then it's not too risky because you'll still have Nottingham to fall back on.

Personally, I don't see the point in risking it as there is no difference between those universities in terms of prestige. I mean, unless you really prefer Nottingham to York then why bother?
    I'm more at risk of missing an A in biology than maths in all honesty... I know they're very similar, I prefer Nottingham because of the wider range of course options, it being closer to london where I'm from, the fact that I prefer the location generally and that I've heard it has better links with banks etc.

I guess what I need to look into is how likely York is to be in clearing, and as an offer holder who rejected their offer, am I more favoured/less likely to even get in at clearing if it does come to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomoto170)
    I'm more at risk of missing an A in biology than maths in all honesty... I know they're very similar, I prefer Nottingham because of the wider range of course options, it being closer to london where I'm from, the fact that I prefer the location generally and that I've heard it has better links with banks etc.

I guess what I need to look into is how likely York is to be in clearing, and as an offer holder who rejected their offer, am I more favoured/less likely to even get in at clearing if it does come to that.
    All good reasons.

Email York and ask how many clearing places for Econ there were in the last few years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.