The Student Room Group

Wrongly received student loan.

I withdrew from my degree in July, Student finance were made aware of this at the time and I didn't receive any payments since. My degree was one that runs from March each year, and to my surprise, I checked my online banking earlier and I have received a loan payment for the start of this new academic year, despite withdrawing ages ago and student finance being aware of this. Who am I supposed to call to resolve this and so I can pay the money back? Do I call student finance or the student loans company? I appreciate this isn't one you hear every day!
Reply 1
I would suggest phoning Student Finance, and if they can't help they'll direct you to whoever can ^^
I would also suggest not spending the money, as they may want it back :smile:
Reply 2
Haha don't worry I'm not going to spend a single penny of it, it want to pay it back to them and get it all resolved asap. If I'm randomly getting a loan payment then don't wanna be paying any interest on it lol. I don't even know how they've still got it on their system that they should be paying me anything as I cancelled it with them long ago and didn't receive any other scheduled payments till now, so weird they think I've started a new academic year.
Do you know a specific number I could call? As looked online and seen a few different ones.
Reply 3
It's the governments money

spend it asap
Reply 4
Original post by Shockolate
I withdrew from my degree in July, Student finance were made aware of this at the time and I didn't receive any payments since. My degree was one that runs from March each year, and to my surprise, I checked my online banking earlier and I have received a loan payment for the start of this new academic year, despite withdrawing ages ago and student finance being aware of this. Who am I supposed to call to resolve this and so I can pay the money back? Do I call student finance or the student loans company? I appreciate this isn't one you hear every day!

How does your payments window when you log in to your online account looks like? Does status says 'paid' or 'approved' or anything else? Because I did not start my course last year and they sent me a letter for second year finance.
Original post by Valentas
How does your payments window when you log in to your online account looks like? Does status says 'paid' or 'approved' or anything else? Because I did not start my course last year and they sent me a letter for second year finance.

Thats because you should have phoned student finance to tell them you weren't going to University, and you needed to cancel your application.

You need to call SFE to get them to cancel the 2012/2013 application. If you're going uni this year, you can't apply for funding until the other application is cancelled.
Original post by Shockolate

Did you submit the correct form to withdraw your funding... or did you just call them?
Reply 7
Original post by madfish
It's the governments money

spend it asap

That's not right!
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
Did you submit the correct form to withdraw your funding... or did you just call them?

I submitted everything they asked for, and had received letters acknowledging they knew I had withdrawn from the course. Phoned them up last week anyway and turned out they had just made some mistake on their system of not closing my application properly, and I've paid them the money back, so hopefully won't be having any more problems with it in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending