The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I feel similar in a lot of respects. I get bored very quickly with things, and there is nothing worse than slipping into a routine. There are two things that have really helped me. Firstly, keep trying new things, constantly. If you enjoy something, keep at it until you get bored, then keep at it for a few weeks/sessions more. If you're still bored, give up on it. But for me, I have found one thing that has held my interest for six months now, which is an achievement for me.

The same applies with relationships. Make an effort to meet as many people as you can and have conversations with them you find interesting (for me a lot of small talk is incredibly bland, obviously you'll have to suffer a little of that, but steering the conversation to something that holds your attention a lot better will keep you entertained and if the person is uncomfortable with it (depending on what you find interesting) then they're probably not the sort of person you want to hang around with anyway. Similarly, with women, if you're unhappy with the current setup how about trying to get to know them before entering into a relationship, seeing if at least they can entertain you for a while before it becomes anything more.

That's the fun side. But unfortunately you will have to do repetitive things in order to live. Here, plan out a few life goals, whatever you want really. Most important for me was picking a career that had the variety for me to actually enjoy it that also paid reasonably well (not exactly easy, especially as the general public frustrate me XD). For me it was teaching (which pays well in London) so I'm currently working towards that. Plan out any steps you need to take to get to that career and enact them. Then when you feel yourself slipping into a routine, you can at least look forwards to see where it's leading. Of course still try to break it up with as many activities/people as possible.

I also know someone else that feels the same way about nearly everything, so believe me you are not alone. Quote me if you have any questions, and remember: variety is the spice of life.
Reply 21
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
Yeah it's been like this for pretty much half of my life. I guess one thing I did like but i have kind of got bored of is just going out clubbing. I would enjoy pulling girls. Sounds stupid i know. I then had sex a few times and felt like i accomplished it and then going out clubbing is pointless because i have already achieved and surpassed just a basic kiss. It also is just bad for your health and you have got to ask yourself 'why are you even doing it'. So I don't really like going out or even just drinking in a quiet pub.

I've always been quite picky when making friends. Like I am very open but i am picky when becoming closer to a person. And I will never get to the stage where i need someone's support or will let out all my secrets to that person, or would call my best friend when i am upset, ask my friend for a hug or a shoulder to cry on etc. I guess I am quite a cold person. When I have had a girlfriend, I have never found anything deep down in my heart or any of that stuff. I just found her good looking. Even when someone I know died, I felt bad but didn't feel the need to cry (not disrespecting at all btw).

Wow, that sounds like you don't have any emotions/ feelings! Do you ever get emotional about anything?
So, if you were different during the first half of your life, did something happen at that stage that changed you or made you somehow afraid of your own feelings or of bonding with others?
Original post by tashazzz
No, it's fine honestly. After re-reading the orginal post though I have to ask, do you really want things to change or are you content with the way things are?

Well I want to be happy so I guess I want things to change. But I don't know what I want, what will actually make me happy. Everything I try is just 'meh'.
Reply 23

I used to be exactly the same as you. Then I discovered bodybuilding and weightlifting, why don't you also give that a go? I bet you'll come to love it
Original post by tory88
I feel similar in a lot of respects. I get bored very quickly with things, and there is nothing worse than slipping into a routine. There are two things that have really helped me. Firstly, keep trying new things, constantly. If you enjoy something, keep at it until you get bored, then keep at it for a few weeks/sessions more. If you're still bored, give up on it. But for me, I have found one thing that has held my interest for six months now, which is an achievement for me.

The same applies with relationships. Make an effort to meet as many people as you can and have conversations with them you find interesting (for me a lot of small talk is incredibly bland, obviously you'll have to suffer a little of that, but steering the conversation to something that holds your attention a lot better will keep you entertained and if the person is uncomfortable with it (depending on what you find interesting) then they're probably not the sort of person you want to hang around with anyway. Similarly, with women, if you're unhappy with the current setup how about trying to get to know them before entering into a relationship, seeing if at least they can entertain you for a while before it becomes anything more.

That's the fun side. But unfortunately you will have to do repetitive things in order to live. Here, plan out a few life goals, whatever you want really. Most important for me was picking a career that had the variety for me to actually enjoy it that also paid reasonably well (not exactly easy, especially as the general public frustrate me XD). For me it was teaching (which pays well in London) so I'm currently working towards that. Plan out any steps you need to take to get to that career and enact them. Then when you feel yourself slipping into a routine, you can at least look forwards to see where it's leading. Of course still try to break it up with as many activities/people as possible.

I also know someone else that feels the same way about nearly everything, so believe me you are not alone. Quote me if you have any questions, and remember: variety is the spice of life.

Wow that response was really helpful. That's some inspiring stuff by the way!

Only thing about the job is - i have yet to find something that interests me and is well paid.
Reply 25
Well I want to be happy so I guess I want things to change. But I don't know what I want, what will actually make me happy. Everything I try is just 'meh'.

I understand what you're saying. I know you've put the effort in to try things and that's great, but are you approaching them in the right mindset? If you go in thinking that it's just going to be 'meh' you're not giving yourself the chance to enjoy anything. You've just got to be patient and keep trying I guess. Duke of Ed sounds like a good idea if you've got the time. Will give you a chance to develop a new skill, try a new sport and volunteer (which could be something like helping coach a kid's team, help with your degree too I guess)
Original post by Sai4
I used to be exactly the same as you. Then I discovered bodybuilding and weightlifting, why don't you also give that a go? I bet you'll come to love it

I got into weightlifting actually. I liked the results but didn't really enjoy working out, pushing myself so i become completely drained and lightheaded etc. And I could never take it seriously because the free lunch i get at work is always unhealthy (eg salty chips and baked beans with a ton of butter on white bread today) then my mum always makes unhealthy foods or we end up getting fast food for dinner. And my mum gets annoyed if I want something different (rest of my family doesnt eat healthy) and she complains if she has to make a separate meal for me. While at work (I work at a pub), the chef makes me lunch and again it would be rude (plus theres not many alternatives) to the unhealthy stuff the chef gives me.

But as I said, I love seeing the results of a good body and staying healthy (i was doing it more for the women more than anything but as i have said in a previous post, ever since i lost my V, i don't see much point in getting women because i feel like i have already gone 'the whole way' and experienced it all). Also with weightlifting I can't deal with the nutrition sides of things which restricts me. And now I am working long hours which means not a lot of time for working out. And I don't really enjoy going through so much strain sometimes by pushing myself so hard.
Reply 27
Watch Anime :biggrin: your life with change forever! :biggrin:
I understand what you're saying. I know you've put the effort in to try things and that's great, but are you approaching them in the right mindset? If you go in thinking that it's just going to be 'meh' you're not giving yourself the chance to enjoy anything. You've just got to be patient and keep trying I guess. Duke of Ed sounds like a good idea if you've got the time. Will give you a chance to develop a new skill, try a new sport and volunteer (which could be something like helping coach a kid's team, help with your degree too I guess)

Tbh i don't usually go in with a negative mindset actually.

Did D of E silver just to look good on my CV/Personal Statement etc. Found the expedition boring and didn't like it, i learnt nothing from my skill (learning to cook because my mum can't really teach me - she ends up just making it all for me and i don't remember any of it), found the volunteering a waste of a lunch break at my college and the physical started off alright and got repetitive/a routine again. Done coaching football too which was what I described in my OP as just an 'ok' part time job.
Reply 29
This makes me really sad :frown:
I can relate to everything seeming the same old song and dance. It sounds like you could be letting yourself live a life of mediocrity and polite agreeableness so that you don't risk losing anything, whether that's who you think you are, how you think others see you or something else. But life is about taking risks and learning to dance in the rain-or in your case, the tedium maybe?

Also,

I don't really know what I want to become. 99% of well paid jobs seem boring to me. The simple jobs which don't require a high level of education seem more interesting to me. I am not saying this will be my future career as i wouldn't earn much money but just simple things such as working in a shop, driving a van and delivering things, being a taxi driver or something seems more interesting to me.

the thing which struck me about this is that it's interesting because it's quite ordinary and routine. Unless by ''more interesting' you mean easier to get, in which case it could be you need to work out why you have no motivation.
And also they involve people and some constant conscious connection to the fundamentals of life. Working in a shop-people. The hustle bustle of daily working life. Dozens of people coming into your life for a split second and leaving, possibly forever-what's their life story? Same with a taxi driver and delivery. These also involve movement, constant travel, but then you're always on the road. Do you like change? Does it excite you? Why? Think about it. We all need it, but then, we all need some security in life too. Not too much, or it will choke you. Living beings were born to be free.

I wish you all the best in finding yourself.
:hugs:
Reply 30
Tbh i don't usually go in with a negative mindset actually.

Did D of E silver just to look good on my CV/Personal Statement etc. Found the expedition boring and didn't like it, i learnt nothing from my skill (learning to cook because my mum can't really teach me - she ends up just making it all for me and i don't remember any of it), found the volunteering a waste of a lunch break at my college and the physical started off alright and got repetitive/a routine again. Done coaching football too which was what I described in my OP as just an 'ok' part time job.

You're really stuck then from what I can see! Just keep pushing yourself. If you'd already achieved everything you wanted you would be happy with things at the moment. There's obviously something big missing, just up to you to find out what it is to be honest. Final suggestion though, how about learning guitar? You can learn a few chords easy, that's all it takes to learn a few songs. No need to fork out money on lessons and whatnot.
Reply 31
Wow that response was really helpful. That's some inspiring stuff by the way!

Only thing about the job is - i have yet to find something that interests me and is well paid.

Look for variety, which is something you won't get in a typical office job. If you find something interesting follow that bit through to what you want to do. I for instance found physics interesting conceptually, but find the theory dry; I want to do something different every day and want some large variation in people I meet. Hence teaching.

For my friend it was considerably interesting. His hobby that he never tired of is music, so he's pursuing that as a career at the moment.
If you struggle to find anything interesting then it sounds like you may have some form of depression, go to your GP and just talk it over, there is nothing to lose from doing it.
Original post by Riku
the thing which struck me about this is that it's interesting because it's quite ordinary and routine. Unless by ''more interesting' you mean easier to get, in which case it could be you need to work out why you have no motivation.
And also they involve people and some constant conscious connection to the fundamentals of life. Working in a shop-people. The hustle bustle of daily working life. Dozens of people coming into your life for a split second and leaving, possibly forever-what's their life story? Same with a taxi driver and delivery. These also involve movement, constant travel, but then you're always on the road. Do you like change? Does it excite you? Why? Think about it. We all need it, but then, we all need some security in life too. Not too much, or it will choke you. Living beings were born to be free.

I wish you all the best in finding yourself.
:hugs:

I just don't find any of the well-paid jobs interesting. It is not because they are well-paid. It is just the nature of the jobs. Eg being a director in a company, working in medicine, banker, solicitor and all the other well paid jobs just don't interest me at all. The more simple jobs interest me more and this isn't because they are easier to achieve - it is just the nature of the job. Sitting down in a taxi driving people round is alright I guess. I can play the radio, be relaxed all day and come home not stressed. I can deal with customers in a shop. It's not like they are going to have a long conversation. They will just buy what is needed then leave.
You're really stuck then from what I can see! Just keep pushing yourself. If you'd already achieved everything you wanted you would be happy with things at the moment. There's obviously something big missing, just up to you to find out what it is to be honest. Final suggestion though, how about learning guitar? You can learn a few chords easy, that's all it takes to learn a few songs. No need to fork out money on lessons and whatnot.

I don't like that sort of music. I have a weird music taste. I don't like instruments at all actually.

Original post by themedicalgeek
If you struggle to find anything interesting then it sounds like you may have some form of depression, go to your GP and just talk it over, there is nothing to lose from doing it.

What will that actually achieve though? Depression is just a word. Personally i don't think i do have it. It has never crossed my mind. But even if I did have it. Would the doctor telling me I have depression actually change me at all? All it would do is tell me I am suffering from a condition.
Original post by tory88
Look for variety, which is something you won't get in a typical office job. If you find something interesting follow that bit through to what you want to do. I for instance found physics interesting conceptually, but find the theory dry; I want to do something different every day and want some large variation in people I meet. Hence teaching.

For my friend it was considerably interesting. His hobby that he never tired of is music, so he's pursuing that as a career at the moment.

I like the concept of this but I have no idea what to choose when I have no interests or hobbies. How can I choose something I like with a variety when I don't know what I like and I feel I never will. It feels like there is 1 piece missing in my life. It is like a jigsaw - I am missing that thing which will make me happy.
Reply 36
I am pretty much you right now OP, I am pretty sure it is depression. I always question everything. I can no longer watch a movie without questioning why, it's taken the entertainment factor out completely, my mind is full of thoughts!

I try my best to not let it get to me but somehow it stays there, it's so hard to cheer myself up too but from someone else's perspective I'd look absolutely fine, great in fact.

I hope you get better soon!
I don't like that sort of music. I have a weird music taste. I don't like instruments at all actually.

What will that actually achieve though? Depression is just a word. Personally i don't think i do have it. It has never crossed my mind. But even if I did have it. Would the doctor telling me I have depression actually change me at all? All it would do is tell me I am suffering from a condition.

It achieves progress. You say you don't find anything interesting and a talk with GP can help suggest what to do about it. Think about it, is it normal from a medical point of view to loose interest in everything? absolutely not.

GP's don't just diagnose, they also help to treat the underlying cause. You might not have depression at all but if not a GP could point you in the right direction.
Reply 38
Stop masturbating, will help you with motivation and drive.
I am 18. I am a pretty easy going, normal guy. However there is nothing in life I particularly enjoy. I have no hobbies, I have no interests, there is nothing which really pleases me. I wouldn't say I am sad or miserable. Basically most things I find are 'ok' - not good but not bad.

Another thing is, I get bored of things very quickly. It starts off as alright and then becomes repetitive, too common, a routine, the same each day etc and I just fancy a change. Then if I get a change, eventually this thing which is new will get old and I would want something else new. This would then get old and the cycle will repeat over and over again.

For example, this may sound really shallow but it even applies to friendships and relationships. I have met some people who seem cool and I like spending time with them, but then after getting to know them, maybe a little while later I just feel every time I see them it is the same, I am bored of our conversations or the jokes, they just become boring people even though I once thought they were cool. Sometimes I get a massive crush on a girl, I will ask them out and I get bored of being in a relationship with the girl (not trying to sound arrogant). Or sometimes it is just a massive crush on a girl and the massive crush will go pretty fast and I will probably either hate the girl or just find her 'ok' (but nothing more).

In terms of hobbies, I don't like reading, i don't like watching movies, i don't really like sports (i only do some sports to remain healthy and not for enjoyment purposes).

I even went travelling for 4 and a half months round South East Asia. Everyone I met said it was the best thing of their lives, once in a lifetime, absolutely incredible and the best thing they have done, best decision they made, lifechanging experience blah blah blah. For me, it was just ok. I mean, it was a long time, i did some things which i guess were fairly cool and others things which weren't, but it was no different from being home really. When I was travelling I kind of missed just sitting there watching TV or playing on the xbox. But now I am back home and I think to myself 'why am i playing on the xbox.... it is not real life and isnt going to benefit me in any way. It just kills the time i guess'. Same applies with the TV.

When there are a group of people, everyone wants to meet each other and become friends. To be honest, I really cant be bothered. It is not that I am anti social but I just don't see the point in talking and making friends. What does it really achieve? What is the point of talking? You are just moving your mouth. It is a waste of breath. At the same time though I wouldn't say i am an introvert. I can be the loud guy if i wanted but a lot of the time i am too lazy to be bothered to do this/move my mouth, i can be the super quiet guy mostly because i just dont feel the need to make friends, i can be the clever guy, the dumb guy, the funny guy, the serious guy - it all depends who i want to be with that social group.

I don't know if i am lost, i don't know who i am deep down, i think i may be confused. I don't know what i like really and don't know what i want in life. As i said i am a pretty simple guy. I think i just want to get married one day, have kids and thats pretty much it. I don't feel the need to do anything spectacular. Just be your standard 'joe' you will meet. Not really friendly, not really unfriendly. Just standard, normal, average etc.

It is the same when I have had jobs (only part time ones). I have never found any of the jobs I have done any fun. I could never say I enjoyed them. But at the same time i never did not enjoy them. I just did them and got on with it.

I am going off to University in September and I know some people are worried they won't settle in, make friends etc. For me I pretty much don't care if I get there and become the 'cool' guy or the guy with no friends. It doesn't bother me slightly.

Sometimes after work, I will get home and just not know what to do. I have nothing to please me after work. No sort of hobbies. Nothing I will actually enjoy or find interesting.But at the same time I wouldn't be bored or angry. I just need something to keep me busy for a few hours until i can sleep again and start the next day off the exact same way.

This makes me feel so "normal" I guess. I am very similar to you/have a similar view on life except I have hobbies. I enjoy playing my xbox which I do get bored with after some time, I also enjoy unique films and TV shows but I get bored easily as well....I have to sincerely say that before the boredom kicks in, I do enjoy those hobbies. Apart from that, everything else seems irrelevant. I have basically no interest in a lot of things that others/the society regards as relevant. I get bored of friends, relationships and even my family. I know i'm not depressed although others may disagree. I just feel like I'm just me and i'm very happy being me. I intend to get married and all that stuff but only if I find someone that understands the way I am and accepts me as I am....and I don't get bored of her. I'm scared I might get bored of my wife(future) as I always get bored of friends, my exes, etc. All I can say is I am happy with my lifestyle ad if you are happy as well, then be yourself. Don't chage to suit what is regarded as "normal".

Latest

Trending

Trending