Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you eat expired food? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have two ready smoothies from supermarket expired since a week, would you drink them?

Same for yogurts, 10 days expired

ReputationRep:
    Do the smell test, then taste a teeny bit. If it's sour or not nice then don't drink it, otherwise it should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Have a little taster if its okay then go for it. I ate some hummus apparently 6 days out of date, tasted great. Then again had some olives 2 days out of date today, my god.

ReputationRep:
    Open them up and smell.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what it was, if it was a dried item e.g. Nuts then probably yes but defo not more than a week out of date. But things with bacteria in them are a definite no no so yogurts and cheeses etc Noway. I wouldn't risk it tbh, the risk of food poisioning is high and I've had food poisioning 3 times and it isn't a walk in the park I felt like death each time.

Dont risk it just buy some more or if you're really hungry eat some fruit or crisps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    Hi,

I have two ready smoothies from supermarket expired since a week, would you drink them?

Same for yogurts, 10 days expired
    dairy products.. no way!

ReputationRep:
    Don't eat meat or dairy so it's not really a major issue for me but I usually would proving they look/smell okay. Vegetables tend to remain edible past their sell by date if you store them correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Things tend to last way past their expiry dates, especially if they contain preservatives or are chilled. I once ate a yogurt 2 months after its expiry date and it was perfectly normal and nothing happened to me. But, yeah, take a quick look and smell before you dig in.

ReputationRep:
    Smell smell smell, as the others have said. If successful, move to taste. If successful, wahey!

I have eaten things way past the expiry date, and thrown out things just before the expiry date based on the smell/taste test rather than the number. Your body was designed to try to work out what's edible and what's not, so put it to use.

ReputationRep:
    Mastery of best before dates is a skill that develops with time, you have to learn how much extra you get from various products, but they can often be very lenient. I had some chillis that had been left in the fridge for 2 months, most were moldy but some were pretty ok and tasted fine. Be very careful with things like chicken but generally you just need to answer perform the following actions:

1. Check number of days past best before if they sell it with 14 days to go and its only 2 days over its probably fine, the reverse is not true. (you need to know when you bought it for this to work)

2. Check for visible mold

3. Sniff test

4. If it needs cooking then make sure you overcook it a bit to be on the safe side.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Smoothies will "blow" when they go off - the fruit fermenting produces some gas. If the packaging looks fatter than it should be then it's gone off - those square cartons go roundish. Squeeze it, and if it won't squash it's gone off.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    yes. yoghurts are usually also fine. They don't really go off that easily. They just separate into water and fat so just give it a good stir before eating. use your nose as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yoghurt, 10 days - probably not :erm: might be a bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    If it smells okay, looks okay and tastes okay, eat it.

Those dates are always just guidelines, and so that you can't sue the company if you get ill after eating gone-off food.

ReputationRep:
    **** yes! eat eat eat eat eat eat eat!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    Yoghurt, 10 days - probably not :erm: might be a bit dodgy.
    Nonsense! Yoghurt lasts ages and ages. It can be months out of date according to the package, and if it's unopened it's usually still fine.
    It's not like milk and cream, it's more like cheese. Unless it's growing mould it's almost always okay to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like meat and milk I wouldn't normally, as you can generally tell straightaway if they've gone off, but anything else I'd just give it a sniff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effie.w)
    Nonsense! Yoghurt lasts ages and ages. It can be months out of date according to the package, and if it's unopened it's usually still fine.
    It's not like milk and cream, it's more like cheese. Unless it's growing mould it's almost always okay to eat.
    Please link me to a photo where the package says "this yoghurt can be months out of the date we've put on it, and it'll still be fine" :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    Please link me to a photo where the package says "this yoghurt can be months out of the date we've put on it, and it'll still be fine" :cute:
    ..that's really not what I was saying. I meant that the package will say it is out of date, when in reality it is quite often going to still be fine.

They put those dates on
    a) as guidelines to when it will -probably- go off
    b) so that people can't sue them after eating something bad, and
    c) so that when you see it's "out of date" you'll go "oh, better throw this out then", and buy more, and they get more money from you.

With pretty much every food other than raw meat and fish, it's not much risk to eat something even quite a lot out date - just use common sense. If it looks, smells, or tastes wrong, don't eat it.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.