Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I kick them out my group? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We have a group project at college and i've done 98% of the work. I've taken the initial idea (which was mine) and made it reality. I could easily have done this project on my own, but there are 4 other people in my group.

They have done nothing. The project is not big enough to have enough tasks to delegate to them all. And whats more, they are constantly criticising it and saying how bad it is. Sometimes I really wonder why I bother.

The problem is these people are my friends and the project is due in in a week or so. If I kick them out it would probably leave bad feelings between us and they wouldn't be able to do their own project in time.

But if I don't kick them out, i'll have done all of the work and they will get a good grade for doing nothing.

And knowing them, if I kick them out they will complain to the tutor that I didn't give them anything to do... (Because there isn't anything for them to do. Plus i'm not going to give them jobs, they should be proactive in helping).

But I am just fed up of them criticizing it but when it comes to the grade they will happily accept the grade. They don't realise how much time i've put into it.

Kick or keep?

ReputationRep:
    Kick them out, if they wanted to contribute they should have taken the initiative. I hate it when others piggy back off my hard work and its happened throughout my schooling. By Y10/11 I would just submit work like that by myself and refuse to put the other's names on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Kick them out, if they wanted to contribute they should have taken the initiative. I hate it when others piggy back off my hard work and its happened throughout my schooling. By Y10/11 I would just submit work like that by myself and refuse to put the other's names on it.
    But then they will be really pee'd off at me.

ReputationRep:
    I would talk to your tutor. A few people at uni have felt this way about group projects and they seem to have gotten results by talking to the lecturer first.

If you kick them out you could just look immature, like you're not working as a team well enough or something.

It's not fair for them to get the same grade as you having not done the work: say something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Kick or keep?
    Having become project manager by default, how would Lord Sugar expect you to handle this?

ReputationRep:
    I know how it feels when you do all the job and someone just sticks like a leaf to your butt without doing anything useful. Probably the best would be to talk with a tutor about this issue. At least when I had similar issue, our team members just reported to the tutor about colleagues who didn't participate in the whole making of an assignment.

Honestly, they can't blame you because this is not a nursery and no one is going to serve them on a silver plate. Will you have to present your project in front of someone? Can you just shift all your work on them? Or you would like to do it on your own?

I remember when I had to make small presentation and I was assigned to a guy, who messed up with our presentation and I felt so annoyed. He didn't help me to gather the information on a topic because apparently he sucked at PC. Before the day of presentation, we discussed in what order we're going to talk and what to say. On the day, after my part he was supposed to talk from the beginning but he did everything from the end, then from beginning and finishing with the middle :confused: I've put so much effort in it and he just couldn't be more organised...

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you are not willing to share the work.

Do talk to tutor though as a few years back had a guy in halls in my group who basically decided he was the leader and he chose his own script for a film we did, then decided he was the interviewer, then decided he would edit it and what time to meet up and then he complained to the lecturers saying we did no work despite us arriving on time to edit, and he was there 2 hours early and did all the work by time we got there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Tell them you are not willing to share the work.

Do talk to tutor though as a few years back had a guy in halls in my group who basically decided he was the leader and he chose his own script for a film we did, then decided he was the interviewer, then decided he would edit it and what time to meet up and then he complained to the lecturers saying we did no work despite us arriving on time to edit, and he was there 2 hours early and did all the work by time we got there.
    Hmm. The jobs to do are so closely tied in that it would take twice as long and be so difficult if other people got involved. Only one person in the group took the initiative to ask me what they could do. I gave them a job and I still had to tell them how and what to do...

Hopefully my tutor may give them a lower mark or something.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's probably too late to kick them out. When you experience any kind of problems within a group it's important to report it as early as you can so that action can be taken. I was working in a group in 1st year of uni and this guy contributed nothing, so I got the whole group to email my tutor saying he had done nothing, and he got zero for the project!

Alternatively, I have been in the opposite position. It was a really difficult assignment as I had been ill for the lecture which it was based on, so two members of my group kind of took the lead, and I helped when I could but essentially felt pushed out because they pretty much didn't want my contribution, similar to you and your friends. Then I got a bad peer assessment and my tutor emailed me told me I would be getting a lower mark, I send a huge email back saying they wouldn't let me get involved cause they knew it was a weak subject for me, and actually I did a lot of the report writing than the modelling for the project blah blah... And I never got penalised. The tutor just gave the other two a higher mark instead, which I was very grateful for.

The thing you need to remember in group work is that you are not just being marked on the work you produce, but your ability to work in a team. You generally find that in every group someone becomes a 'leader', whether that was intentional or not, it can often be the same people as well (Like I tend to end up in the position a lot). It appears that you have taken on this role, but then refused to delegate any work, which is where the issue lies. You should have been giving people work to do by a certain time, and then checking up on it. If it's rubbish, you can alter it. But at the end of the day, complaining that your team didn't do any work because you basically wouldn't let them just seems a little bit silly to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.