Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've worked for this retail company for the past year alongside my degree, transferring back and forth; however in the past month or so, I've been experiencing some behaviour from my managers that seems incredibly unfair. A couple of colleagues have suggested I lodge a complaint with HR, but I'm not sure if I'm just blowing it out of proportion.
    Lately I've:
    • Had all of my performance grades pulled down, despite not performing any different than usual, or any different than my colleagues.
    • Been given conflicting instructions ('Look at what you're doing so you can do it properly' 'You shouldn't be looking at what you're doing, you should be looking at customers')
    • Been called 'useless' on the shop floor for not following the above.
    • Had it implied by a manager that another colleague and I will make bad teachers in the future.
    • Discovered I'm paid 70p an hour less than everybody else, regardless of age, performance or length of time at the company. When I mentioned this to my manager she said it would be looked into, and I've heard nothing since.
    • Discovered I haven't received a 6 month or 12 month payrise that are company policy, due to my training being not completed/not recorded correctly. I was told this was my fault for not making them train me, despite the fact I had no idea it wasn't being recorded properly.

It's also just their general demeanour towards me seems to have changed. Other members of staff have mentioned the shift in attitude although none of us can think of a reason why. None of my managers are particularly approachable, so I don't feel like I can bring it up with them. Does this sound like something I should bring up to HR?
    Sorry for the long post :3

ReputationRep:
    You might as well. If you do make sure they don't start making it difficult for you to do your job to make you leave (constructive dismissal??).

Sounds like a typical up their own ar*e retail manager to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by checks)
    I've worked for this retail company for the past year alongside my degree, transferring back and forth; however in the past month or so, I've been experiencing some behaviour from my managers that seems incredibly unfair. A couple of colleagues have suggested I lodge a complaint with HR, but I'm not sure if I'm just blowing it out of proportion.
    Lately I've:
    • Had all of my performance grades pulled down, despite not performing any different than usual, or any different than my colleagues.
    • Been given conflicting instructions ('Look at what you're doing so you can do it properly' 'You shouldn't be looking at what you're doing, you should be looking at customers')
    • Been called 'useless' on the shop floor for not following the above.
    • Had it implied by a manager that another colleague and I will make bad teachers in the future.
    • Discovered I'm paid 70p an hour less than everybody else, regardless of age, performance or length of time at the company. When I mentioned this to my manager she said it would be looked into, and I've heard nothing since.
    • Discovered I haven't received a 6 month or 12 month payrise that are company policy, due to my training being not completed/not recorded correctly. I was told this was my fault for not making them train me, despite the fact I had no idea it wasn't being recorded properly.

It's also just their general demeanour towards me seems to have changed. Other members of staff have mentioned the shift in attitude although none of us can think of a reason why. None of my managers are particularly approachable, so I don't feel like I can bring it up with them. Does this sound like something I should bring up to HR?
    Sorry for the long post :3
    Id make a complaint. You arent blowing it out of proportion, by the sounds of it, you are being treated unfairly, and your colleagues agree. Hopefully things will get sorted.

ReputationRep:
    You're not blowing things out of proportion. I'd go and complain if I were you, if none of your managers are approachable, speak to HR. I hope you get things sorted out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.