Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Bberries would stop making physical qwerty? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean there is still a market for them?
    There are people with enormous thumbs, people who may have to text without looking in a classroom or in a meeting and people like me who just like a phone to look like a phone and not a glass slab. Shouldn't there always be a variety in the choices of phones available? Thanks for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    Google "Blackberry Q10"

ReputationRep:
    I would wager in the long run Blackberry won't be around much longer to make any phones at all. I think the issue is that Blackberry have destroyed any relevance they had in the smartphone industry. A few years ago they were the iconic brand for business smart phones and for on-the-go instant messaging, now their corporate pedigree has largely been taken over by Apple and among general consumers they've essentially become a niche product because they were completely outclassed at literally anything else, and a single physical feature is not enough to prop up a dying company that's driven itself into the ground with terrible management. Their new BB10 models have clawed them back a bit of market share but I don't think it will last when the hype finishes dying off and people look at them with a cool head and realise there's still very little that they do that cannot be done by anything else on the market.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in the long run, yes, but I think Blackberry still have something to offer. You still get people getting a Blackberry over an iPhone or an Android, simply because they prefer a physical qwerty. I agree with what you say, that they probably won't last much longer, however, when you look at it, people said that about Windows phones once they first came out. I still thing their UI looks butt-ugly but that's just me. Some people like them. And I think on the new BB10's, they went all out of software but not so much on hardware and style. If only they would have done it right; by which I mean: a. A big launch, b. a better designed phone, c. Same software, and d. release the Q10 at the same launch to appeal to people to want physical and those who don't want one. I think BB have so much more potential now with their new software, but they are way too slow right now. They've finally joined the market however they are very late. The only way they'll come back in is by making something completely different and new, but useful all the same. And something that can easily beat Apple and Android (and Windows) out of the way, for a bit. And back to the OPs question. No, I don't think they'll stop. They may be delayed (like they've done with their Q10) but not stop. Otherwise what difference do they have between them and other smartphones. Just different style and software. The physical gives them an edge but they haven't capitalised on it yet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.