Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Do you believe in Karma? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And/or have you had any experiences with Karma? I'm not really sure where I stand on the matter personally. It'll be interesting to hear peoples responses

ReputationRep:
    red gold and green, red gold and green

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Some of the biggest pricks have all the luck.

ReputationRep:
    There's no evidence for it.

I think it just wishful thinking. It would be nice if the world was balanced so.

ReputationRep:
    No, the universe doesn't owe anyone anything and probably doesn't have some universal stance on what is right or wrong. Thought it'd be great if it did.

ReputationRep:
    If you act like a prick to someone they'll act like a prick back, that is karma. People who sit around relying on some divine force to strike down anyone who wrong did them just don't have the balls to do it themselves.

I wonder how many negs this will get me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    There are different concepts of Karma out there. The "original" (most primitive) Karma is some esoteric version of the action-reaction law (affecting both earthly life and afterlife) whereas more "modern" conceptions include "steps" one must overcome or the idea of the Universe somehow retributing, etc...

I'd say I'm most comfortable with a toned down version of the first.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the slightest. If anything, it's the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    You know, sometimes 'karma' can happen to people, But overall i think bad things end up happening to everyone

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I think I am the one being in control shaping my life. To me Karma is always connected to the believe that somebody else if having control over life.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

But I do understand that if you treat others the right way, they are more likely to treat you the same. Not always the case however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ursi1991)
    Not at all. I think I am the one being in control shaping my life. To me Karma is always connected to the believe that somebody else if having control over life.
    Are you not referring to 'fate'?

ReputationRep:
    No.

It's a cute idea, but it hasn't been demonstrated yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    Are you not referring to 'fate'?
    I doubt it. For karma to be a thing then there would have to be some kind of external force witnessing events and causing events deemed to be an act of karma. Pretty sure that's what they meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    No.

It's a cute idea, but it hasn't been demonstrated yet.
    Implying that it will be?! :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Implying that it will be?! :rofl2:
    Well, it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I doubt it. For karma to be a thing then there would have to be some kind of external force witnessing events and causing events deemed to be an act of karma. Pretty sure that's what they meant.
    Wiki: "is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in the Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, and Sikh religions."

It's considered a "natural" process of cause and effect, and is a main part of Buddhism, which rejects "someone in control".

ReputationRep:
    Not in any supernatural sense, but I think bad things tend to happen to bad people as people try and get payback.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't believing in Karma imply that dying children in Africa are suffering because it's their fault? Doesn't sound very nice...

ReputationRep:
    No.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.