Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ???

Which one should I go for?

Snapsort gives the D3200 an over all 72 vs. 56 for the D3100.

Image quality, resolution and colour depth are all much better on the d3200. However the d3100 is about £110 cheaper right now.

My main priority is video but will be taking stills often.

From advice on amazon it seems most experienced photographers state that with the d3200 is better the sensor is too small to notice any real difference and a new lens that would cost more a **** load will be needed. Agree with that?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon_D3100

here's the link if you want to look at the comparison yourself.

Any advice much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to take video, you may not want to use an SLR camera. Only a few of those have a video option, and I think the the video isn't proper HD either, but I may be thinking of something else.

Why not use a camcorder?

ReputationRep:
    I got the D3100 a few weeks back. Use the money you save to buy all the other stuff you haven't accounted for: Memory card, Tripod, Bag etc. Plus, even if you have all of this stuff already, the money you save will be far more useful for buying a new and better lens. I'm guessing you're getting a Kit, and the lens that comes with it is decent but not great. A good lens will be far more important than the difference between the 3100 & 3200 IMO.

Edit: I guess if you're doing a lot of video then a mic jack will be important. But then you could just use an external mic..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    If you want to take video, you may not want to use an SLR camera. Only a few of those have a video option, and I think the the video isn't proper HD either, but I may be thinking of something else.

Why not use a camcorder?
    The D3100 has HD video and records at 24fps. One of the first HD Nikons I believe. The D3200 is the new model, so I assume it is also HD is I know it is as 24p.

I don't want a camcorder as I will also be taking a lot of stills. lol

(Original post by NJam)
    I got the D3100 a few weeks back. Use the money you save to buy all the other stuff you haven't accounted for: Memory card, Tripod, Bag etc. Plus, even if you have all of this stuff already, the money you save will be far more useful for buying a new and better lens. I'm guessing you're getting a Kit, and the lens that comes with it is decent but not great. A good lens will be far more important than the difference between the 3100 & 3200 IMO.

Edit: I guess if you're doing a lot of video then a mic jack will be important. But then you could just use an external mic..
    Yeah, this is the type of advice I've been seeing a lot of and is drawing me more towards the D3100.

The mic jack is the only current flaw that is making me consider the D3200. However for the videos I have in mind I can't imagine the audio having a role, if I do want it, I'll get an external like you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    The D3100 has HD video and records at 24fps. One of the first HD Nikons I believe. The D3200 is the new model, so I assume it is also HD is I know it is as 24p.

I don't want a camcorder as I will also be taking a lot of stills. lol
    Well OK, but how many stills do you want to take over video? What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Well OK, but how many stills do you want to take over video? What's your budget?
    what do you mean? Like a stills:video ratio? No idea tbh, I reckon I will use both equally as much, just not at the same times if you know what I mean. For active things such as sports short party clips etc video, for landscape, and other general things then stills. It will just depend on what I am doing. By the time I finish with it though I'd say 50:50.

It is for this reason I am preferring it over the GoPro, plus the issues with the GoPro are drawing me towards something else at the minute anyway. Budget would be about £450, but with other expenses <£300 for the D3100 seems very appealing right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJam)

PS

Did you qualify for the Nikon Spring cash back deal?

ReputationRep:
    If I did I wasn't aware of it! :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJam)
    If I did I wasn't aware of it! :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    did you buy it after the 14/03? If so check where you bought it and/or with Nikon as you need to register with them online to get it. Only £30 with the D3100 but better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    did you buy it after the 14/03? If so check where you bought it and/or with Nikon as you need to register with them online to get it. Only £30 with the D3100 but better than nothing.
    Ah, no it was a week or two before unfortunately :-\.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i have the d3100 the video is decent save your money

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.