Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can somebody help me put together a diet/fitness plan? watch

ReputationRep:
    So, when I was like 16 I was 5ft 4 and weighed nearly 10 stone and it really got me down. I spent lots of time exercising and dieting, and got down to around 7.5 stone (which I admit was pretty unhealthy). I then put on about 10lbs and managed to maintain a healthy(ish?) weight of around 8 - 8.5 stone (which I was happy with) until I was 19. Then I met my boyfriend and I put it all back on, which sucks.

I've managed to get down to 9.4 stone, but I'm reeeeally struggling to lose any more than that without practically starving myself. I've been consuming between 1000-1200 calories a day in healthy foods (less when I'm not doing anything; more when I have a productive day or go to the gym) and avoiding sugary/fatty foods (without completely denying myself treats - I'll have a small chocolate bar or something once a week). I also drink around 4 pints of water and 3 cups of green tea a day (and 1 cup of regular tea some days).

I'm now 5ft 7 so I'm hardly overweight, but I'd like to be under 9 stone (ideally 8 and a half, but I'll settle for just under 9). I used to go to the gym 3 times a week, but found I lost more weight when I stopped that and focused on eating less.

Can anyone suggest any good workout/diet plans? I've started running on a daily basis, but find that exercise makes me really hungry and any hard work I put in gets cancelled out by eating loads 'cause of the exercise.

Any tips in general are welcome, and sorry for the super-long post

ReputationRep:
    In terms of diet, eat a bit more and try to eat consistently. Don't worry too much about eating certain types of food - just make sure to get a balanced diet and don't be over restricitive with any one food type.

In terms of exercise, find a sport or active hobby. If you just use exercise as a means to lose weight then you will constantly yoyo up and down. For a lifetime solution, you have to become more active in a way that isn't going to drag you down. In general, more intense forms of exercise (basically anything that fatigues your muscles sore rather than just leaves you out of breath) is going to be better for your physique. So if you are running, doing some sprints or some short uphill runs is a good idea.

Don't base your target off scale weight either, base it off how you look and feel. It may be that the amount you want to lose is simply too much. I mean, my mum is shorter than you and is around 8 and a half stone and she looks fairly skinny.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'll try that Maybe join a fitness club with some friends or something. I was always told that getting out of breath was the most important thing ("lots of reps, low weight"), so maybe I should focus more on doing something that really works the muscles. I guess my muscles do hurt a lot after running, and I enjoy that more than the gym because it's outside in the fresh air, rather than a smelly, stuffy gym.

Thanks for your advice, I'll take it on board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuiceboxPhantom)
    Okay, I'll try that Maybe join a fitness club with some friends or something. I was always told that getting out of breath was the most important thing ("lots of reps, low weight"), so maybe I should focus more on doing something that really works the muscles. I guess my muscles do hurt a lot after running, and I enjoy that more than the gym because it's outside in the fresh air, rather than a smelly, stuffy gym.
    Fitness is always specific to any given task. Nine times out of ten, the best way to increase fitness for a specific task is to train precisely that task e.g. to get better at football, play football, to get better at pull ups, do pull ups.

When you are talking about how your body looks, you have to consider how the body responds and adapts to various forms of training. Now, to make your body look better, you can only do two things - burn fat and build (or at least preserve) muscle. I mention the latter since the problem a lot of dieters have is that after dieting for a while, they start to atrophy and lose as much muscle as fat meaning they get smaller overall but still look as soft. The best thing to do to preserve muscle is pretty much the same thing as it is to build muscle - get stronger. The best way to get stronger is to train near your limit of strength i.e. lift heavy weights; that is the ones that you can only manage a few reps with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.