Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cats show their emotions like us? (grumpycat) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently this grumpy cat meme got me thinking:

When my cat has a smile on his face (especially when sleeping) theres a distinctive smile, are they actually feeling happy/good? Is a smile a biological instinct or are we taught that to raise the mouth is a demonstration of happiness?

ReputationRep:
    Grumpy cat, aka Tardar Sauce has a form of dwarfism, that's why she looks "grumpy".

I'm not sure if cats actually have expressions, they convey emotions more by their posture..

ReputationRep:
    Photoshop

ReputationRep:
    I think to an extent they probably do. After all they clearly have different facial expressions and other body language (ears, tail, arching the back or not) to show different moods. If my cat isn't amused it's ears will be pricked up and it has a different facial expression to if it's sitting on me and looking at me while I scratch its head while it purrs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Grumpy cat, aka Tardar Sauce has a form of dwarfism, that's why she looks "grumpy".

I'm not sure if cats actually have expressions, they convey emotions more by their posture..
    You're right about the first part.

Secondly, I think all animals (including humans) convey emotions more through their posture than their face. It's called haptic communication.
    You can control your facial expressions at will, you can make yourself smile even if you're not happy. However, most of your posture is completely subconsciously controlled, but it can give a much more accurate view of how you're feeling (for example, pointing your feet towards someone if you're interested in them or tucking your chin into your chest as defense).

To the OP, cats have much fewer facial expressions than humans, but they can still turn the corners of their mouth up in a smile. Whether this means they're happy or not is a completely different matter.
    They might just have gas.

ReputationRep:
    Do cats even have emotions?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they have facial expressions as such, but it's fairly easy to tell how a cat feels. If my cat is fed up, even if he's not fighting to get away, he will sort of tense up, and if he's happy he goes all soft. They convey emotion through their whole body - posture, voice, twitchiness...

More subtle things like embarrassment and wanting to play are harder to tell - half the time I'm sure people invest too many human emotions in their pets, but at other times you remember that cats are not less evolved than us, they have just evolved to suit different needs.

I don't think they get embarrassed, but I do think they know what play fighting is, and I think they do have emotions, just that they serve a different purpose to ours, and aren't always recognisable.

May be talking nonsense though.

ReputationRep:
    wdwa

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but one of my cats spat in my coffee once. And they're masters at making you feel about an inch big with a single facial expression. That's why I love 'em - they're basically tossers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.