Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im currently in year 13 and I think i have picked the wrong a levels for economics. Im currently doing maths bio chem and physics to a2 as I initially applied and wanted to do another course. However recently Im more attracted to economics. During my gap year if I applied to do economics would I have a realistic shot at oxbridge, wawrick lse and ucl etc considering I don't do economics. My gcses 10A*s and 2as. as 4as and 4A* predictions,

ReputationRep:
    You would be surprised how many econ applicants don't have economics. I think your choices, along with some summer reading on important economical topics/keeping up to date with current affairs, you will have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    You would be surprised how many econ applicants don't have economics. I think your choices, along with some summer reading on important economical topics/keeping up to date with current affairs, you will have a good chance.
    So hypothetically speaking since Im on course for 4A*s in the three sciences and maths, I will most probably get in (to a top 5 uni) if I apply during my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p12)
    So hypothetically speaking since Im on course for 4A*s in the three sciences and maths, I will most probably get in (to a top 5 uni) if I apply during my gap year.
    Don't apply to the ones that ask for further maths and your good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Don't apply to the ones that ask for further maths and your good
    If i did further maths during my gap year surely that would make the universities that require it viable to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p12)
    If i did further maths during my gap year surely that would make the universities that require it viable to apply to.
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    Having maths and/or physics is better than economics at a-level for an economics degree.

ReputationRep:
    But my understanding of admissions is such that universities will only consider a levels that are sat at the same time as 2 other as it is the workload rather than the content that make a levels difficult. Would doing further maths in one year give me the option to apply anywhere?

further maths during my gap year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p12)
    But my understanding of admissions is such that universities will only consider a levels that are sat at the same time as 2 other as it is the workload rather than the content that make a levels difficult. Would doing further maths in one year give me the option to apply anywhere?

further maths during my gap year
    I would do maths A2, physics A2 chem A2 and further maths AS next year to be in with a chance at applying and I would skip the gap year, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
    I would do maths A2, physics A2 chem A2 and further maths AS next year to be in with a chance at applying and I would skip the gap year, tbh.
    No I'm finishing my a levels this summer. If i applied to do economics for 2014 entry and completed further maths during my gap year, do I have a shot at the top unis?

ReputationRep:
    4A*s would prove that you can handle the workload, email the admissions/econ departments at the unis you're considering to make sure they'll count your fm as. That's the only way to know for sure .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x__justmyluck)
    4A*s would prove that you can handle the workload, email the admissions/econ departments at the unis you're considering to make sure they'll count your fm as. That's the only way to know for sure .
    Thanks I will do that

ReputationRep:
    Could even do both fm and econ in your gap year to really show that you are interested. Economics AS doesn't look too bad from the specifications I have looked at. I actually considered self-teaching it at one point.
    That paired with a lot of reading around economics will surely make for a solid application.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ofc! Know this girl, who did all sciences and Maths however got into Cambridge economics.

Good luck, I recommend reading ahead during summer. So, Jodieecongirl, Khanacademy - on Youtube. Read Tutor2u on economics A levels. Reading ahead in terms of personal statements: read Amartya Sen, Joseph Stiglitz, Adam Smith, John Kay's Truth About Markets is pretty good.

You seem clever - you will do great!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.