Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever want to be immortal? Not able to die?

ReputationRep:
    Not in a narcissistic way but yeah would be fun to see how things change.

I can't imagine the technology that will be here in the next 100 years - I'm still amazed with pizza cutters

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    it would get boring.

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends on whether you age or not, if you age then no, if you don't age then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Well, immortality has been okayish for me to an extent, it does get tiresome when you get killed, but, you learn to get over that.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i'd still get laid.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry guys, I haven't aged and I'm over 1000.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to, yes. I'd love to still be here when we venture out into space and explore other planets! The problem though is when people realise you are immortal, they won't let you have an easy life will they - constantly wanting to find out more about you and stuff?

If I were immortal I'd most likely live a life of solitude, constantly travelling around the globe so I have a chance to learn more about this wonderful planet

ReputationRep:
    Only if my twin was immortal with me, I could not bare to watch her die whilst I live.

ReputationRep:
    It's tempting, but I wouldn't want to watch everyone I love die, and when I meet someone knowing that I'd lose them...

I'd prefer to fly, or have telekinesis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it would be good, i suppose if you got bored of doing one thing you could just pick up and move to a new place and live a new life,
    assuming there was no ageing issue
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Ultimate argument against immortality, coming right up.

Lets take immortality as you never age, and never die. Just in case some people were thinking you'd end up super old.

In the average lifetime, the chances of certain events happening to you are minimal. For example, getting hit by lightening. Now, if you're immortal, and thus live for an infinite amount of time, you will be struck by lightening. If you are around forever, the chance of being eventually hit by lightening increases to one hundred percent.

Now lets say that you can't be injured. So okay, being hit by lightening wouldn't even hurt you. But being trapped in an earthquake zone, under fifty tonnes of concrete? Yeah, that WILL happen to you. It must. If you're around for the rest of all time, then you will one day be trapped under a building. Who knows when you'll get out? Maybe not for the next fifty years. Fifty years of being alone, and going completely insane.

Next! All your family and friends die. You make new friends in time, but then they die. And the next ones. And the next. And then suddenly, you're repeating every conversation you've ever had. You've literally run out of things to talk about. And you're forgetting which of your friends is dead and who isn't. And yet, they're still dying.

Next argument. Humans are still evolving. You however, are frozen in time. No more evolving for you. So in three thousand years time, you look like an absolute freak. Not to mention in thirty thousand years time. Not scary enough? Try a million. You're suddenly the equivalent of a cave person.

This one's obvious. No privacy. You'd have to hide your identity for the rest of your life. I.E. Forever. Because if the government ever found out, you bet your arse they'd experiment on you, and never let you go until they figured out what it was that made you death-resistant. But hiding your identity would mean false names and stories. And eventually, you'd get them mixed up. You'd also have to hide from people who knew you twenty years before, because you'd still look the same. It wouldn't take long before someone turned up with a big net and a tranquiliser dart.

Your brain would not get older. However, that doesn't actually matter. You'd be forced to store so much continuous information, that you'd start losing track of everything. You might be young looking, but your brain is literally losing facts.

Time appears to speed up as you get older. That means that over time, people and experiences would be flipping into and out of your life so fast you'd barely notice them. There's the science behind this - http://everything2.com/user/Professo...p%20with%20age

Plus, the worst one - when humanity becomes extinct, all life is wiped out and our planet is slowly dying... You'll still be there. Crazy and alone.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that scared the crap outta me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Temporarily.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Captain Jack.)
    Well, that scared the crap outta me.
    My answer? Apologies, this is just something I've thought through.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the nature of the immortality. I would definitely like to be non aging and hard to kill in other ways, but not truly immortal or immortal with aging. If you age but don't die you have to experience your body literally falling apart around you. Complete immortality sounds good (even with the increased chance of painful accidents) but eventually the human race will be gone, and then there is a good chance the universe itself may die from heat death and you will be the only one still floating around for ever.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Ultimate argument against immortality, coming right up.
    Hey. Just thought I'd add some thoughts to these.

Lets take immortality as you never age, and never die. Just in case some people were thinking you'd end up super old.

In the average lifetime, the chances of certain events happening to you are minimal. For example, getting hit by lightening. Now, if you're immortal, and thus live for an infinite amount of time, you will be struck by lightening. If you are around forever, the chance of being eventually hit by lightening increases to one hundred percent.

Now lets say that you can't be injured. So okay, being hit by lightening wouldn't even hurt you. But being trapped in an earthquake zone, under fifty tonnes of concrete? Yeah, that WILL happen to you. It must. If you're around for the rest of all time, then you will one day be trapped under a building. Who knows when you'll get out? Maybe not for the next fifty years. Fifty years of being alone, and going completely insane.
    These two arguments are predicated on lightning and earthquakes existing forever as well, which I don't suppose they will. Maybe in 10,000 years we'll be pretty good at weather and earthquake control.

Next! All your family and friends die. You make new friends in time, but then they die. And the next ones. And the next. And then suddenly, you're repeating every conversation you've ever had. You've literally run out of things to talk about. And you're forgetting which of your friends is dead and who isn't. And yet, they're still dying.
    This one's pretty compelling if one's happiness is in part founded upon the longevity of one's relationships. It might be possible to find happiness in the present moment, however.

Next argument. Humans are still evolving. You however, are frozen in time. No more evolving for you. So in three thousand years time, you look like an absolute freak. Not to mention in thirty thousand years time. Not scary enough? Try a million. You're suddenly the equivalent of a cave person.
    30000 years is probably a bit shy for there to be any really noticeable differences. Our technology ought to vastly improve over this span of time anyway though, which might mean things like altering your own genome to take account for any divergent effects. There will probably exist technology to allow others to live forever too, so maybe this will help combat the loneliness from the previous point.

This one's obvious. No privacy. You'd have to hide your identity for the rest of your life. I.E. Forever. Because if the government ever found out, you bet your arse they'd experiment on you, and never let you go until they figured out what it was that made you death-resistant. But hiding your identity would mean false names and stories. And eventually, you'd get them mixed up. You'd also have to hide from people who knew you twenty years before, because you'd still look the same. It wouldn't take long before someone turned up with a big net and a tranquiliser dart.
    It would take them a long time to discover your immortality, and they would want to give up once they realised they were wasting their money. Better would be for them to use you as some kind of agent for impossible missions. But then again by this time AI might be superior enough to do all those kind of missions anyway. I am optimistic than in the future we will have evolved socially enough to not forcefully subject anyone, immortal or not, to human experimentation. But this would probably still be a legitimate concern for a while to come.

Your brain would not get older. However, that doesn't actually matter. You'd be forced to store so much continuous information, that you'd start losing track of everything. You might be young looking, but your brain is literally losing facts.
    Probably you would start to forget things. That'd suck. :/

Time appears to speed up as you get older. That means that over time, people and experiences would be flipping into and out of your life so fast you'd barely notice them. There's the science behind this - http://everything2.com/user/Professo...p%20with%20age
    I don't think it's by any means certain what accounts for the effect of time subjectively appearing to speed up with age. That link represents one theory; another is that life becomes more monotonous with age and it is the novel experiences that occupy your memory giving you a feeling of a lot of things happening. I'm sceptical that it'd reach a point where time would feel to be whizzing by at some incredible rate.

Plus, the worst one - when humanity becomes extinct, all life is wiped out and our planet is slowly dying... You'll still be there. Crazy and alone.
    There's no arguing with this one. Forever drifting through a cold dead cosmos, watching the stars extinguish one by one, going alone into the night... :moon:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by miser)
    Hey. Just thought I'd add some thoughts to these.

These two arguments are predicated on lightning and earthquakes existing forever as well, which I don't suppose they will. Maybe in 10,000 years we'll be pretty good at weather and earthquake control.

This one's pretty compelling if one's happiness is in part founded upon the longevity of one's relationships. It might be possible to find happiness in the present moment, however.

30000 years is probably a bit shy for there to be any really noticeable differences. Our technology ought to vastly improve over this span of time anyway though, which might mean things like altering your own genome to take account for any divergent effects. There will probably exist technology to allow others to live forever too, so maybe this will help combat the loneliness from the previous point.

It would take them a long time to discover your immortality, and they would want to give up once they realised they were wasting their money. Better would be for them to use you as some kind of agent for impossible missions. But then again by this time AI might be superior enough to do all those kind of missions anyway. I am optimistic than in the future we will have evolved socially enough to not forcefully subject anyone, immortal or not, to human experimentation. But this would probably still be a legitimate concern for a while to come.

Probably you would start to forget things. That'd suck. :/

I don't think it's by any means certain what accounts for the effect of time subjectively appearing to speed up with age. That link represents one theory; another is that life becomes more monotonous with age and it is the novel experiences that occupy your memory giving you a feeling of a lot of things happening. I'm sceptical that it'd reach a point where time would feel to be whizzing by at some incredible rate.

There's no arguing with this one. Forever drifting through a cold dead cosmos, watching the stars extinguish one by one, going alone into the night... :moon:
    Hey! Of course, absolutely no theory is perfect, and they're certainly able to be counter argued.

I see very few advantages with immortality. Other than looking young and not having to die. That's pretty much it. Everything else is a giant pain in the arse.

I mean, I'm bored if I have two weeks off college. Can you imagine how bored you'd be after 1000 years?

The last argument is the worst. Witnessing the fall of humanity and everything you have ever known. And being unable to finally join your dead friends and family.

I'm so optimistic. :rolleyes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey! Of course, absolutely no theory is perfect, and they're certainly able to be counter argued.

I see very few advantages with immortality. Other than looking young and not having to die. That's pretty much it. Everything else is a giant pain in the arse.

I mean, I'm bored if I have two weeks off college. Can you imagine how bored you'd be after 1000 years?

The last argument is the worst. Witnessing the fall of humanity and everything you have ever known. And being unable to finally join your dead friends and family.

I'm so optimistic. :rolleyes:
    I expect the first 50 years'd be pretty swell though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by miser)
    I expect the first 50 years'd be pretty swell though.
    Oh yeah, totally. XD But you would have to hide. The gov. would hunt you down like an animal.

But think of the travelling you could do. :eek:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.