Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

I think that it's time for this Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonefrombrum)
    No, what you pointed out was wrong and the essay that I kindly responded to it with should have made you see that. Summarise in one sentence your key point and ill reply back in the same form and explain again why people who drink drive are completely AT fault.
    Well done for totally missing the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Well done for totally missing the point.
    There is NO point. It's basically you going on about how people will lose their jobs etc and me replying by saying that it would be their fault if they did. That is it. You wouldn't expect them to reduce the punishment for rape or burglary so the culprits wouldn't have to experience the knock on effects so why be so up in arms about this? If someone doesn't want their life ruined by being caught when they've committed a crime, the simple solution is to not commit the crime in the first place.

Also let me ask you, do you think that they should give tough sentences to anyone caught. Swinging a nunchuk around their head whilst taking a stroll through a crowded street?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonefrombrum)
    There is NO point. It's basically you going on about how people will lose their jobs etc and me replying by saying that it would be their fault if they did. That is it. You wouldn't expect them to reduce the punishment for rape or burglary so the culprits wouldn't have to experience the knock on effects so why be so up in arms about this? If someone doesn't want their life ruined by being caught when they've committed a crime, the simple solution is to not commit the crime in the first place.

Also let me ask you, do you think that they should give tough sentences to anyone caught. Swinging a nunchuk around their head whilst taking a stroll through a crowded street?
    Punishment must be proportionate to a crime. Equally we must consider the consequences of said punishment. You could make your same argument for lopping the hand of a theif like they do in Saudi. 'Oh, he's got noone to blame but himself' etc, but that doesn't tackle the issue of what that person will do after you have swiftly administered their punishment and forgotten about them.

As I said, I agree with you to an extent in theory. All round harsh punishment should deter crime. However, in the real world, in application there are other considerations, clearly you cannot manage to comprehend that from the way you are replying.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.