Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Putting a Uni as first choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am currently studying my AS levels and I am hopefully going to start applying to Universities in September to study Pharmacy. However, I was just wanting to ask, would a Uni lower their original entry requirement if you were to 'firm' their offer - i.e. as first choice... also would Uni's look at the AS grades in subjects or the predicted grades from teachers?

Cheers and thank you for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean would you still be accepted if you didn't get the grades come August? It's up to the University themselves. I hear some do but it will be depend on how far you've missed your offer. ABB instead of AAB for example, may be accepted.

They look at both AS grades an predicted grades but I'd assume they put more emphasis on predicted as some people do resit AS units.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I know that Birmingham did a trial scheme as to if you put them as your firm, then you had an unconditional offer, but for those who put it as their insurance the offer was AAA (or whatever the normal offer was). This was only offered to 1000 people as a trial, and was for those who applied to AAA courses with say A*A*A* predicted or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how many people get the grades to get in and how competitive the course is.
    they won't lower the entry requirement for you according to your choice because they give you the conditions before you choose your firm and insurance and reject your other offers.

I'd apply for a range of unis that you dont mind going to but have a range of requirements and see what they give you. they dont always stick to their requirements when they make your offer, I had a few last year when I applied for Human Biology for CDD down from BCC, obviously a massive reduction.
    But even if you dont reach the grades you might still get in, if your interview went well they'd rather have you with slightly lower grades on results day than to go into clearing and have to accept someone who hasn't even had an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Grades - they look at both your AS results and the predicted grades.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.