Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seem to forget things really easily and quickly like actors names and general events in my life - more than other people it would seem. For example, I often watch movies with Steve Carrel in, but when mentioning the actors in a movie I wouldn't be able to remember them unless I thought about it for at least 20 seconds.

Another example is that I would forget the names of people in my class from last year (although I wouldn't talk to many of them) but my friends would know their names straight away.

Why does this happen? What can I do to improve my memory.

Really annoys me in social situations when I want to talk about something but can't remember key names and facts.

19 years old. Fit and healthy (I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    I seem to forget things really easily and quickly like actors names and general events in my life - more than other people it would seem. For example, I often watch movies with Steve Carrel in, but when mentioning the actors in a movie I wouldn't be able to remember them unless I thought about it for at least 20 seconds.

Another example is that I would forget the names of people in my class from last year (although I wouldn't talk to many of them) but my friends would know their names straight away.

Really annoys me in social situations when I want to talk about something but can't remember key names and facts.

There are lots of books out there on improving your memory. Dominic O'Brien was the world memory champion 8 times and he has published a few books, you might want to check them out to see if they help. If they don't, go to your doctor.

ReputationRep:

That's perfectly normal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    That's perfectly normal!
    Hmm the thing is it is obvious that people have a better memory than me.
    I see it is normal to forget some things, its just I definitely forget more than other people.

ReputationRep:

You could try memory games/exercises?

ReputationRep:
    It happens, especially with weird names.
    There's nothing you can do besides using mnemonics or maybe making some flash cards.

ReputationRep:
    I could tell you how to improve your memory, but you'd probably just forget it :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.