Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How can I ask my dad so I can go to sleep? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My dad, I think he is deaf and when he drinks he likes to just relax with no interference

Any how, the more he drinks the less patient more aggressive he becomes. He normally has his TV quite loud and my bedroom is above the kitchen so I can hear gunfire, torture scenes and general action like I'm watching the film itself.

I ask him if he can turn it down and he either tells me instantly 'goodnight' and that's it and the more I ask he more he gets more visably angry and kind of verbally abusive.

He then goes on about giving him some space and some 'him' time.

It's quite hard to get through to him and make him wear headphones, he rarely caves in but if he does, he is very annoyed. Sometimes being pissed off with me and muttering under his breath (very obvious and can hear it from my room), bangs doors and plates while swearing.

So, how can I get him to turn that **** down? We fall out most of the time anyway and rarely get on, communication is rather limited.

It's annoying because I really have to ask him if I can go to sleep. Try going to sleep and hearing someone screaming from being tortured or listening to a gunfight.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you. In a similar situation myself. Just put a sleeping pill in his drink.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered leaving him a AA leaflet.....

ReputationRep:
    If he wont wear earphones, ask him another time when he's calm how he would feel if u waited till he was in bed and then pumped the volume up on the tv, how would he like it? Or switch the tv on and then take him to ur room and let him hear the volume. If he's too much of a **** to be reasoned with invest in earplugs/get someone else to talk to him.

ReputationRep:
    Buy some speakers and play this on repeat until he goes to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    have you considered leaving him a AA leaflet.....
    I don't know what the hell your on about.

I just need a way of telling him to turn it down without him suddenly becoming angry and telling me off for thinking about myself all the time and to give him a break.

It's ****ing annoying being tutted for everything I do when I go downstairs and he is seriously talented in giving me some dirty looks.

I'm sick of waiting until 1 or even 2 in the morning so I can go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    you could write him a simple note and leave it there please be quiet and give him a drink at the same time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkandsinister)
    If he wont wear earphones, ask him another time when he's calm how he would feel if u waited till he was in bed and then pumped the volume up on the tv, how would he like it? Or switch the tv on and then take him to ur room and let him hear the volume. If he's too much of a **** to be reasoned with invest in earplugs/get someone else to talk to him.
    When he drinks he is quick to annoyance and anger, he sulks like a champion and takes it out on the environment aka banging doors, swearing and muttering about me.

And like I said, he is deaf. He can't 'hear' what I'm hearing my room, even my sister knows its loud but my dad does not like being wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to him when he's sober, tell him his drinking is affecting you.
    Don't argue with him when he's drunk, as you can see it's not going anywhere!

Maybe get your mum to speak to him too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I feel you. In a similar situation myself. Just put a sleeping pill in his drink.
    LOL, imagine if he OD...... - mixing sleeping pills and alcohol, not recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimprovising)

Tell my dad he is drinking? The guy explodes like a powder keg, you simply can not win. I'm either wrong, being selfish or both to him. Trust me, I've told him plenty of times.

Let me make this clear, he is very sensitive to the slightest criticism, requests etc. He takes it the wrong way.

He starts the arguments with me. Constantly *****ing, nagging, moaning and just insulting me. I just put up with it.

Parents divorced and she is a gambler addict, what help is she?

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to talk to him about it when he's sober. Isn't there another person his age that could talk to him about it? If he's so awkward that he wont listen to u/use earphones then hearing aid? Failing that u'll just have to wear earplugs or put earphones in and listen to music until u fall asleep? Its a tricky one.

ReputationRep:
    If your chats with him aren't working, maybe look into getting a pair of earplugs for yourself for a bit of sound dampening.

ReputationRep:
    Guess I can try ear-plugs, just damn uncomfortable and finding some. I like sleeping on my sides.

ReputationRep:

where is your sig from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    My dad, I think he is deaf and when he drinks he likes to just relax with no interference

Any how, the more he drinks the less patient more aggressive he becomes. He normally has his TV quite loud and my bedroom is above the kitchen so I can hear gunfire, torture scenes and general action like I'm watching the film itself.

I ask him if he can turn it down and he either tells me instantly 'goodnight' and that's it and the more I ask he more he gets more visably angry and kind of verbally abusive.

He then goes on about giving him some space and some 'him' time.

It's quite hard to get through to him and make him wear headphones, he rarely caves in but if he does, he is very annoyed. Sometimes being pissed off with me and muttering under his breath (very obvious and can hear it from my room), bangs doors and plates while swearing.

So, how can I get him to turn that **** down? We fall out most of the time anyway and rarely get on, communication is rather limited.

It's annoying because I really have to ask him if I can go to sleep. Try going to sleep and hearing someone screaming from being tortured or listening to a gunfight.
    You should probably discuss with him 2 things, both very important that I don't even know the order to put them: 1 would be to talk to you mother about his drinking problems, she should advice him about reducing the number of alcohol which can cause serious problems, social or even health issues and second to talk about the deaf problem. I don't know if it is that serious that he can treat himself, but my father was also deaf and he didn't go to doc so when he finally went he couldn't treat himself only by putting some devices which increases the pitch so that he could hear a bit better. What I am saying is that it should be good that at least to go to a doc cuz it can save his hearing and solve many problems that appears due to a lack of 'sound' of nature, human or not

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try to dilute his drink with water.....you just empty a bit out of the bottle once its open but a water....then he might get less angry as he might be less drunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    Tell my dad he is drinking? The guy explodes like a powder keg, you simply can not win. I'm either wrong, being selfish or both to him. Trust me, I've told him plenty of times.

Let me make this clear, he is very sensitive to the slightest criticism, requests etc. He takes it the wrong way.

He starts the arguments with me. Constantly *****ing, nagging, moaning and just insulting me. I just put up with it.

Parents divorced and she is a gambler addict, what help is she?
    So he gets angry even when sober? That sucks. To be honest, sometimes you can't win so you have to deal with it until you move out.

As someone has already suggested, earplugs?

ReputationRep:
    So he gets angry even when sober? That sucks. To be honest, sometimes you can't win so you have to deal with it until you move out.

As someone has already suggested, earplugs?
    Thats an addict for you, hence why I suggest AA earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariucell)
    You should probably discuss with him 2 things, both very important that I don't even know the order to put them: 1 would be to talk to you mother about his drinking problems, she should advice him about reducing the number of alcohol which can cause serious problems, social or even health issues and second to talk about the deaf problem. I don't know if it is that serious that he can treat himself, but my father was also deaf and he didn't go to doc so when he finally went he couldn't treat himself only by putting some devices which increases the pitch so that he could hear a bit better. What I am saying is that it should be good that at least to go to a doc cuz it can save his hearing and solve many problems that appears due to a lack of 'sound' of nature, human or not
    I don't speak to my mum, I said above she is a gambler addict so cut family ties, they both really do not get along.

I can't to him about his drinking, it's a topic that pisses him off quickly and turn him agaisnt me. He then uses the 'always about you, why can't I have some me time' argument.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.